Repositioning cruises - how are they announced?

I always hear about the great deals available for repositioning cruises, but I never seem to hear about the cruises themselves until it's too late. I can't seem to find them as a category in the search areas of the major lines web sites (i.e. rccl.com). So... what savvy cruisers out there can tell me how I can get to be an "insider" and learn about these as they are scheduled?

Repro cruises are announce around the same time that the new schedules appear. In June when they announce the schedules for Europe 2006, so will the schedules on how to get the ships there. Same for Alaska, etc. Try looking at some of the on-line websites and look under transatlantic. Also, we found that some of the travel agents that our on this site let us know what is upcoming.

The best prices for almost all cruises are when they are first announced for the new season, our cruises for this summer and for Feb 06 South American have almost doubled in price since we booked them last June/July

Just go to the RCI web site and look for the schedule of individual ships transition from one itinerary to another. For example when a ship is in europe and then moves to the Caribbean. Typically there will be a 12 day cruise including a few european ports and 4 or 5 days for the crossing and then a couple of caribbean ports. Or Hawaii is the repo destination for ships transiting to or from Alaska to the Caribbean or the Panama Canal or the west coast.

Typically these occur in the spring and fall as the european seasons and alaskan seasons start and end.

jc

Not only are there transatlantic repo cruises but now that more and more cruiselines are moving ships to New York, Baltimore, Boston, and other locations in the Northeast for summer cruises... now there are alot of repo cruises from these locations down to the Caribbean (or vice versa)

We did a great 9 day repo cruise a couple years ago. Departed from Philadelphia and made stops in St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Labadee, Antigua and St. Lucia before ending in San Juan!!

You will also find cruises from Florida through the Panama Canal to San Diego/Los Angeles/San Francisco and then from those cities up to Vancouver or Seattle for the Alaska season.

They aren't advertised as "repositioning" cruises, but if you look at an online or cruiseline site, you will see "Coastal", "Transatlantic" and "Panama Canal" as options. Pretty much anything in late April/May or late September/October going in one direction for any of those itineraries is going to be a repositioning cruise.

Not all one-way cruises are repos, though. There are some ships that go back & forth through the Canal all winter, or do a partial canal trip.

We love the repo cruises out of LA - the prices are great and we get to spend time in Vancouver at the end.

Thanks to all the replies. Good suggestions. I hadn't really considered the trans-Atlantic cruises, but was thinking of the ones repositioning from the Northeast to Florida, through the Panama Canal, or between CA and Alaska. In any case, I just haven't known how to shop for these wisely and efficiently. Again, thanks!

We are ticketed on the 5/7/05 Repo on RCL's Voyager of the Seas (Miami to Bayonne), and are really looking the trip...stops are in Aruba and Labadee (Haiti), with the rest of the time at sea. All those days at sea, should be some wonderful forced relaxtion in the sun for us...and only have to worry about the o/w airfare between EWR and MIA.

Repo cruises can't be beat in our book...

Mike & Silke

Archived