Tampa-Hyatt Regency-Channelside?

harry0

We are staying at the Regency Sunday 2/13/11. We are looking for a restaurant at Channelside. I am looking for recommendations for a mid priced fun place to eat. Is Channelside close enough to walk? it looks like about 1 mile but I am not familiar with the area. Thanks in advance. Harry

We are staying at the Regency Sunday 2/13/11. We are looking for a restaurant at Channelside. I am looking for recommendations for a mid priced fun place to eat. Is Channelside close enough to walk? it looks like about 1 mile but I am not familiar with the area. Thanks in advance. Harry

I'd probably take a cab (or a shuttle if the hotel has one); it's walkable, but will be somewhat deserted on a Sunday evening (in the stretch between the hotel and the Channelside Entertainment complex).

The main restaurants in Channelside:

*Stumps is pretty good; menu is sort of "old southern cooking" - fried chicken, BBQ, etc. Sides are things like greens, grits, etc.

*The Thai place is quite good

*There's one of those "oriental steakhouse" places where they cook the food on the hot table in front of you

*The food in the bowling alley, Splitsville, is actually quite good

*There's a pretty good pizza place that has other basic Italian dishes

*There's a Bennigans & a Hooters, they are what they are

*I just read that the Gallaghers Steakhouse closed, which disappointed me. Apparently the franchisee had a falling out with corporate & is reopening as an Italian restaurant, not sure what timeframe.

If eating in Channelside, I'd probably in order go with - Thai, Stumps, Splitsville or the oriental place.

Alternatively, you could go to Ybor City & eat at Columbia (Cuban/Spanish cuisine, been around for 100+ years, a Tampa landmark). Or Zelda's Cafe, a couple blocks down Channelside Drive from the entertainment complex (corner of Channelside & Kennedy) has very good food; it's owned by a Jamaican guy who worked most of his life in the kitchens of a couple of cruise lines.

It is an easy walk, you could also take the street car if you plan on returning to the hotel around 8:00pm (the streetcar stops running at 8 on Sundays), there is a new stop right beside the Hyatt.

The Thai restaurant is a good pick, but honestly most restaurants in Channelside are good, but a bit pricey. Sunday is a bad day to find restaurants in DT, so Channelside is likely your best pick. You could also go over to Harbor Island as there are a few good restaurants there too.

Steve

My son went to school in Tampa and mentioned Splitsville too.

We like to walk. Will the walk back with 4 people at about 9 pm be ok. I know every city has places I would not walk at night.

It should be fine. That area may not have many other people around on a Sunday evening (Friday and Saturday there would be a lot of people), but the general area is safe. I have walked all around down town Tampa at night and it is plenty safe, the only area I would advise against at night would be way up in north down town north of I-275, but you will not be anywhere near that.

Steve

Archived