Let's talk Tuxedo shirts....

millercat

Ladies, DH needs new shirts, he already has a new tux.

So many choices and it has been awhile since we have had to purchase.

I am a creature of habit so I am seeking your opinions.

I am thinking one new white and one new black (Black is whats in, right?)

?? collar type (I really like wing tip even without tails, and mandarin, you tell me)

?? pleat or no pleat (what do you think....we have always done pleats)

?? pleat size (again I like 1/8 to 1/4 pleats if we are doing pleats)

Thank you in advance, I so appreciate the advice.

Laine

I will only buy white shirts. Narrow pleats, but I like pique bibs too. And yes, I know they're only for white tie. I don't like colored shirts or mandarin collars. I don't like "different" on Hollywood red carpets so why would I like that on my husband?

I'm very traditional. But that's ok. Look how cute he looks :p (we're looking for a new tuxedo too....)

2493824530084534781uYlFoK_th.jpg

2853095250084534781oPOSjo_th.jpg

I also only like the traditional white tuxedo white...only with a straight traditional collar.

You might check out Paul Fredericks. I order all of Drew's shirts from them..They can be a little pricey, but if you check they usually have a new customer special.

They custom make the shirts with whatever style collar, cuffs and size that you need. They will also monogram and have them to you within a matter of days.

Their customer service is amazing and if anything at all is wrong, they will fix it at their expense.

Hoyaheel, I agree, we have some pretty good looking men!;):) I would say we are very blessed indeed!

656252645_InspirationJan201120.jpg.34e8301f3eb820a1bbee310e90b55f2e.jpg

1733915055_InspirationJan20112.jpg.9d10b6b2a99ea9454c4e13c8892b21c9.jpg

Hi Laine,

I'm going to answer your questions with a lot of expertise, and a lot of loving tongue in cheek, so bear with me here...;)

Ladies, DH needs new shirts, he already has a new tux.

Ladies! Why are you only asking the ladies!

So many choices and it has been awhile since we have had to purchase.

I am a creature of habit so I am seeking your opinions.

Break out of the "habit". You need to figure out what looks best on your husband, that is the bottom line.

I am thinking one new white and one new black (Black is whats in, right?)
No. Black is not "in". Black shirts were in 5 or 10 years ago, so just let that idea go, and let's move on to making your husband look the best he can be...
?? collar type (I really like wing tip even without tails, and mandarin, you tell me)
First of all, please make sure that the bow tie, is an actual real, tie yourself bow tie - and not a clip on, or clip together at the neck one...

A wing tip collar will make that look especially "low classy" or "mall prom".

If you really like that, then go for it, but otherwise, let that one go...

As far as Mandarin Collar - if your husband is an Urban Hip Hop music artist working a music video or attending the Grammy Awards, then it will work for him.

If your husband is of Asian descent (ideally Chinese), and he wants to work some Eastern family culture, within his Western Tuxedo - then that can work as well - as long as he is fully aware of that context/contrast and working it in the program.

If your husband is neither of these things - then please just forget the Mandarin Collar.

?? pleat or no pleat (what do you think....we have always done pleats)

?? pleat size (again I like 1/8 to 1/4 pleats if we are doing pleats)

Pleats or flat front work. Don't obsess on the pleat size.

(Personally I prefer the 1/4 at this moment in time)

Thank you in advance, I so appreciate the advice.

Laine

So moving on from all of that informational but slightly loving snarky information from me...

My bottom line...

I think it's MOST important what your husbands particular coloring is...

Meaning:

Is he black haired, or salt and pepper like George Clooney or Cary Grant?

If so, then a pure White Tuxedo shirt will look best on him.

Or, is he Blonde, Red, or Warm Brown haired like Brad Pitt or Robert Redford?

If so, then an Ivory Tuxedo shirt will look best on him.

Choose according to what is going to compliment your husband the most - not on what looks best on other people's husbands...

Example:

here's a beautiful Ivory/Creme Tuxedo shirt:

detail_3014_cham-cream.jpg

here's the same Tuxedo shirt in pure White:

detail_3017_cham-wht.jpg

Yes, it's a subtle difference - but will make a huge difference in real life to compliment your husband's natural coloring!

I hope all of this truly helps you, with awareness and knowledge of what will help your husband look his best!

I will only buy white shirts.
I also only like the traditional white tuxedo white...only with a straight traditional collar.

Hoyaheel and Drew's Wife are slightly biased - because both of their husbands are closer to George Clooney/Cary Grant coloring' date=' than Brad Pitt/Robert Redford coloring!;):p:rolleyes:

So the pure white shirts happen to look best on both of them!

Just sayin'

:D

Love and CyberHugs to Hoyaheel and Drew's Wife!:)[/color']

PS I'm a natural Strawberry Blonde - so I NEED that Ivory Tux shirt to compliment my natural coloring. Some of us guys really need that added subtle warm color in our formal wear.

Just want to be sure I'm representing both colorings and perspectives!:cool:

I will only buy white shirts. Narrow pleats, but I like pique bibs too. And yes, I know they're only for white tie.

I'm very traditional. But that's ok. Look how cute he looks :p (we're looking for a new tuxedo too....)

2493824530084534781uYlFoK_th.jpg

2853095250084534781oPOSjo_th.jpg

The pique front/bib shirts are definitely not solely for white tie.

I know that in Great Britain wing collars are frowned upon for Black-Tie. That is not the case in the States. The thing is that unless you can find a detachable wing collard shirt, most retail wing collared shirts have too short a collar height. They also have pleated fronts which is incorrect for wing collar.

Hi Laine,

I'm going to answer your questions with a lot of expertise, and a lot of loving tongue in cheek, so bear with me here...;)

Ladies! Why are you only asking the ladies!

Break out of the "habit". You need to figure out what looks best on your husband, that is the bottom line.

No. Black is not "in". Black shirts were in 5 or 10 years ago, so just let that idea go, and let's move on to making your husband look the best he can be...

First of all, please make sure that the bow tie, is an actual real, tie yourself bow tie - and not a clip on, or clip together at the neck one...

A wing tip collar will make that look especially "low classy" or "mall prom".

If you really like that, then go for it, but otherwise, let that one go...

As far as Mandarin Collar - if your husband is an Urban Hip Hop music artist working a music video or attending the Grammy Awards, then it will work for him.

If your husband is of Asian descent (ideally Chinese), and he wants to work some Eastern family culture, within his Western Tuxedo - then that can work as well - as long as he is fully aware of that context/contrast and working it in the program.

If your husband is neither of these things - then please just forget the Mandarin Collar.

Pleats or flat front work. Don't obsess on the pleat size.

(Personally I prefer the 1/4 at this moment in time)

So moving on from all of that informational but slightly loving snarky information from me...

My bottom line...

I think it's MOST important what your husbands particular coloring is...

Meaning:

Is he black haired, or salt and pepper like George Clooney or Cary Grant?

If so, then a pure White Tuxedo shirt will look best on him.

Or, is he Blonde, Red, or Warm Brown haired like Brad Pitt or Robert Redford?

If so, then an Ivory Tuxedo shirt will look best on him.

Choose according to what is going to compliment your husband the most - not on what looks best on other people's husbands...

Example:

here's a beautiful Ivory/Creme Tuxedo shirt:

detail_3014_cham-cream.jpg

here's the same Tuxedo shirt in pure White:

detail_3017_cham-wht.jpg

Yes, it's a subtle difference - but will make a huge difference in real life to compliment your husband's natural coloring!

I hope all of this truly helps you, with awareness and knowledge of what will help your husband look his best!

Curt,

I am in total disagreement on one thing that you stated in your post... You, our Dear Curt, with all the wonderful information that you provide, could never be truly "Snarky":);)

I was more saying "I like white" and won't buy black or blue or red tuxedo shirt - not that ivory was bad. Though I admit ivory or cream aren't usually options I've found when looking for tuxedo shirts......

As for recommending sites - usually that's only a no-no if someone is getting a kickback from the site;) In that case, it's called spam.

Curt,

Thank you for taking the time to respond and addressing each of my issues. I appreciate your conveying your expertise with such eloquence. :)

Why are you only asking the ladies!

Probably because I forget that all men are not like my DH who wants to dress well and look good but has no interest in anything but the end results.

Or, maybe I was only asking the Ladies ;)

Apparently I need to get out more so that I don't second guess myself into a fashion fiasco! :o

I absolutely agree about the real bow tie, that's one point for me! :cool:

I must be reading too many Dr. office magazines and not checking the dates, ie: black shirts, there goes my point :confused:

Mandarin collar, what mandarin collar? :rolleyes:

And so on.....

Just so that you know that your time was well spent.......

DH is definitely the George Clooney coloring so

White shirt, 1/4 in pleats, traditional collar and he will be wearing his real bow tie!

Once again, thanks to everyone!!

Archived