cyclone times

Kochie

I am new to this cruising idea. Someone suggested it to me for a holiday so We are looking at going on the pacific Sun on 24th April 2011. I can't find any posts relating to the pacific Sun, perhaps someone can show me a link if there is one. My main concern after reading some of the other posts, is whether or not a cruise at the end of April is likely to be in a cyclone. I think if our first cruise involved that horrible experience it might be our first and last cruise.

Thanks

As Anna says, the season wraps up round March.

Normally.

However it is not unheard of to have cyclones almost up until the winter months - in fact some of the worst cyclones in the northern hemisphere have occured in October-November [equivalent to our April-May]

Having said that, there is always the risk of being hit by a bus each time we cross the road - but we still cross it.:D:p

I'm also cruising in April - it'll be great weather -sit back and enjoy. :):):)

April is a great time to go, particularly up into the islands. The water is still nice for swimming, but the heat and humidity is a bit more under control. As for cyclones, pretty unlikely however moderate or rough seas can occur at any time. Something to remember is that a ship at sea moves about, it is very unusual to have absolutely no movement at all as there is always some level of swell, I could certainly count on one hand the number of absolutely mirror flat days that I have experienced in my 33 cruises. That said, for many of us the gentle movement of the ship is part of the attraction of sea days, the best thing to do is not worry and focus on the movement, just get on and enjoy your day and do things normally.

As for Pacific Sun, I have cruise on her three times and have enjoyed them all. She is an older ship these days and is somewhat smaller than her fleetmates, but she still has all the amenities, pools, disco, nice bars. People tend to have their favorite ships and will have endless reasons why this or that ship is better than any other, I say go and enjoy. Years ago P&O would put a saying in their daily newsletter aboard Oriana which went something like: "You have left home to find things different, don't complain when you find that things are different", experiences are to be enjoyed. As for people who like to compare ships, my answer is always that my favorite ship is the one I am on right now.

"You have left home to find things different, don't complain when you find that things are different"

I love this quote!

Having just come back from a 'cyclone' cruise, and it is cyclone season and I was well aware of that when I booked (just had my fingers crossed we would be lucky...not! LOL).

I wouldn't think of cyclone season at end of April. Yeah weather patterns are crazy, so no one can predict. But your chances of a cyclone at Easter are a lot less than now! I'm looking to book again at Easter......lightning can't strike twice in the same place :p Convinced you yet? :D

Archived