Lamanai

CathyG

Due to a bad back I require a walker. Will I be able to do the Lamanai and New River Safari? RCCL said there should be no problem taking the walker on the boat but what about after we get there. Is it fairly flat and easy walking? Thanks.

just getting in and out of the boat is difficult...they are there to help, but you need to be able to step up or down. the path, around the lunch area, restrooms and museum are paved..but the path to the sites are not.

you have to walk over tree roots, up /down log steps and stone steps...over a grassy meadow. sometimes it's dry, sometimes it's muddy.

when i went it was very muddy.

around the different buidlings, the only place to sit down was the mask temple and the tall temple..the jaquar temple had no place to sit down.

DH helped me in /out of the boat, he knows how unsteady i can be. (2 ruptured disks, stenosis of the neck, bone spurs, all kinds of back problems)

while we were there, a private tour came through...with a wheelchair. but they were carrying the wheelchair over the rough spots.

533414580_returntorestarea.jpg.470008f67df3089dd205869f8385c371.jpg

499216764_enteringLamanai.jpg.0a83a3eac7c28ffda9c264395dbc78b7.jpg

1295918857_beautifulday.jpg.2371d86ea26ac71ac5eb60220c43df06.jpg

1340676483_Jewellwithourtour.jpg.d2182e5c8993191b386bf6f8e4e45e54.jpg

105591321_enteringtheballcourtarea.jpg.e7113af54643150b04cbcdf623583435.jpg

Thanks Cathi. We were at another ruin that had tree roots, etc and it wasn't much fun trying to get around them. I guess I'm going to have to think real hard if it's worth it or not. Again thanks. Cathy

I would not recommend going if you need a walker. While the paths at the beginning are flat, once you get into the jungle and on the way to the ruins the paths go over rocks, roots and are very bumpy. There are few places to sit down. We were just there in Dec 2010.

2010Cruise063.jpg

2010Cruise067.jpg

2010Cruise080.jpg

Cathy,

It was a very interesting place. I feel bad for you that you may not be able to go. Maybe someone recalls another mayan ruins spot that is easier to get to. Are you stopping in Cozumel? I seem to remember that Tulum was fairly flat.

Archived