Simpson Bay landmark for taxi

golf4tonys

Hi,

Think we will take a taxi from the pier and head to Simpson Bay for a few hours then head back and walk the boardwalk for a bit.

Seems like a large beach area to just tell the taxi driver 'Simpson Bay Please'. Any good spots to be dropped off and picked back up? Was looking at the Royal Palm as one idea. Sounds like good beach, bars and food are in walking distance and it's on the good (pier side) side of the bridge as far as I see.

Any other good options?

Thanks

Tony

I like the part of Simpson Bay beach by Mary's Boon Hotel and Karakter Beach Bar. We stayed at the Royal Palm for vacation and didn't swim at that beach. The sand is courser and the water is not nearly as clear. FYI Karakter is closed on Tuesday's. I really like Simpson Bay beach and think that it is an underused and underrated beach on the island although with the addition of Karakter it has grown in popularity over the last couple of years.

From an earlier post:

Sounds like you really want to see Maho.:o

OK, but we're going off the normal cruiser track here:

I'm going to suggest Simpson Bay Beach. It's on the way to Maho, and you have some choices.

The easiest to get to is Buccaneer Beach Bar. They say it's on Kim Sha, but they just make up names for their section of the beach here.

A little more out-of-the way, but a taxi will get you there, is either Mary's Boon or Karacter.

All have facilities and offer food with a decent beach. It's not Orient and it's not Mullet, but it's ok.

Take a look and come back with comments

gary

I just returned from a land trip to the Island and stayed at Mary's Boon. I have to say that I enjoyed our beach there much more than Orient Beach. I can see why people say you should experience Orient Beach, but it was wall to wall chairs and people even tho the driver said it wasn't a busy day. On the part of Simpson the others are referring to, it is uncrowded and the sand is nice. Karakter http://www.karakterbeach.com/, as others have said, is a cool place where you can not only get buckets of beer, but good (as opposed to average bar food) food, and decent cocktails. If you want to parasail or jet ski, you won't find it there. Also, if you want numerous options for food, you won't find it there. But if you already plan to check out stuff on the boardwalk anyway, the Mary's Boon/Karakter area will be a relaxing choice for part of the day. You can still see and hear the planes-- be warned --so it can be loud at times. DH and are are already planning to go back:)

Archived