What to do/see in downtown Cozumel?

newmomtexas

We are first timers. We will be at Esctasy in February. Cozumel will be one of the two stops.

We are with a 4-years old so what we are looking for is (1) relaxing and (2) sightseeing. We are not going to drink at all. Is downtown Cozumel a good choice for us? If not, any recommendation is appreciated! Thank you!

I highly recommend Chankanaab park. Last year, we booked ourselves and our 4-year-old a Dolphin Encounter there (through a private tour site), and it was AWESOME! My daughter still talks about it! We had plenty of time interacting with the dolphin, swam in the pool beforehand, and had a reasonably-priced lunch there afterwards.

I got a rate of around $160 for me and hubby, and my daughter was free with paid adult. We just had to buy her park entrance fee of $5.50 online through the tour company.

We are planning on going back to Chankanaab this April just to enjoy the amenities and relax. There are discount admission tickets on cozumelinsider dot com. That web site has coupons for various other places in Coz as well.

Have fun!

I highly recommend Chankanaab park. Last year, we booked ourselves and our 4-year-old a Dolphin Encounter there (through a private tour site), and it was AWESOME!

Thank you for sharing your experience! Could you provide with the name or web site of this tour company? Thanks!

Thank you for sharing your experience! Could you provide with the name or web site of this tour company? Thanks!

You're welcome. The web site is cozumel-tours dot com. There is a yellow banner ad for it that pops up here on CC from time to time. They will also issue a "Fun Card" for discounts at participating retailers in Coz when you book.

Transportation to Chank is not included, but you can easily get a taxi to take your group there and back. It cost the 3 of us about $10 each way (~$20 total round trip.)

Our experience is also in my Inspiration review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1179886

We are first timers. We will be at Esctasy in February. Cozumel will be one of the two stops.

We are with a 4-years old so what we are looking for is (1) relaxing and (2) sightseeing. We are not going to drink at all. Is downtown Cozumel a good choice for us? If not, any recommendation is appreciated! Thank you!

To answer your question. Downtown is NOT a good choice. It is a commercial area. The main problem is that carnival does not dock downtown. they dock in a carnival run "village" so you do not get a real feel for Cozumel.

I usually associate beach clubs with drinking - especially on Cozumel.

The dolphins are at Chankannab Park - a state park. You can book through the cruise line or a number of other places.

http://www.**********************cozumel/cozumel-location-overview.asp

{interesting that they would block the dolphin discovery sight...}

You might consider a taxi tour of the island. Not that expensive - especially for 3 people.

Taxis, where ever you go, probably aren't going to have child seats and may not even have seat belts. The fees from the cruise ports to most places are fixed and posted, but the fee a taxi may charge otherwise might be anything. Always ask.

we love going to Nacchi Coccom when in Cozumel..we have little guys too and the beach is nice and quiet..has shaded areas and hammocks..food and drinks included..yummy

Beach is beautiful..check out cozumelshoreexcursions.com

we take a taxi from the port there..maybe 10 min away..

To answer your question. Downtown is NOT a good choice. It is a commercial area. The main problem is that carnival does not dock downtown. they dock in a carnival run "village" so you do not get a real feel for Cozumel.

Thanks for letting me know what downtown area look like. I will take it out of my choices.

A general question for all: Is taxi safe in the ports of Mexico? Thanks!

I thought the cruise ships docked where the ferry comes in from Playa del Carmen, if so, isn't this considered "downtown"?

Sorry, didn't pay attention to what line was there, it was before I started cruising, but I have been thinking that's where we would be docking on the Legend, based on what I saw last time I was on the ferry.

We have Nachi Cocum booked and were planning to go shopping after our beach day, would it be better to shop first then? We thought we could just walk back to the ship when we were done.

You're welcome. The web site is cozumel-tours dot com. There is a yellow banner ad for it that pops up here on CC from time to time. They will also issue a "Fun Card" for discounts at participating retailers in Coz when you book.

Transportation to Chank is not included, but you can easily get a taxi to take your group there and back. It cost the 3 of us about $10 each way (~$20 total round trip.)

Our experience is also in my Inspiration review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1179886

Thank you! Have you been to Nacchi Coccom? Review for Nacchi Coccom is good, too. I don't know if they are similar or different. Thanks!

Thank you! Have you been to Nacchi Coccom? Review for Nacchi Coccom is good, too. I don't know if they are similar or different. Thanks!

Nachi Cocom is beautiful, but it's an exclusive (only 100 people allowed)all-inclusive - all you can drink & eat. Not sure I would spend the money if I weren't drinking, and it's pretty quiet place with kiddies. I'll bet they/you would enjoy Chankanaab Park (Google it) or Paradise Park a bit more.

Archived