To see or do in Kodiak?

cruzn single

We didnt have anything planned when we were in Kodiak last year. Upon chance we found out about Making Memories charters and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It was a driving tour in a 6 person van but the other people that previously signed up never came so we were the only ones on the tour. He took us to For Abercrombie, high above Kodiak for an awesome view of the city, to a salmon fish hatchery that normally doesn't give tours but he knew the people so we were able to go, out of the beaten path where he had seen a brown bear print the day before, etc. Too much fun to list and we had the best day of our trip and were sad to leave. In Kodiak you need at least a rental car or a guide or both to get the most out of your time here. There is not too much to do without acres to at least one of these.

We didnt have anything planned when we were in Kodiak last year. Upon chance we found out about Making Memories charters and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It was a driving tour in a 6 person van but the other people that previously signed up never came so we were the only ones on the tour. He took us to For Abercrombie, high above Kodiak for an awesome view of the city, to a salmon fish hatchery that normally doesn't give tours but he knew the people so we were able to go, out of the beaten path where he had seen a brown bear print the day before, etc. Too much fun to list and we had the best day of our trip and were sad to leave. In Kodiak you need at least a rental car or a guide or both to get the most out of your time here. There is not too much to do without acres to at least one of these.

I've seen several mentions of Making Memories. Could you tell me how much he charges for tours? Is it by the hour our by the tour? There is no information on the website. Thanks.

Hey all - just got a response from Dake from Memory Makers to my inquiry about our day in Kodiak (Hi FPM - taking your recommendation from last year's cruise!), so I can help you with the cost. He books two 3 hour tours per day when a cruise ship is in port. The cost is $75.00 per person, and he doesn't collect any $$ until after the tour is over and you are thoroughly satisfied. From what Susan told us when they got back on board the Amsterdam last year, it was the best excursion and they really enjoyed it - as evidenced by her comments here as well. We were going to rent a car in Kodiak - got info about that as well, but now I'm thinking Memory Makers would be a better fit for the three of us.

I think our tour was a little over 3 hours. He told us he never times the tours really and if we went over on the time it wasn't a big deal to him. You wont regret your time with him. It flew by for us and we were sad when it ended.

Hello AIP! Tell Dake hello from us, I'm sure he'll remember my husband because of his enthusiasm with photography just like Dakes.

Already done - I mentioned you and Eric and your thrilling adventure of seeing the bear print in the forest - and indeed, Dake remembered you guys well! I am really leaning toward going on this excursion - I hope my niece and her boyfriend are as enthusiastic as I am! If not, i'll tell them to rent the car, and I'll go by myself (perhaps can get other "takers" on our Roll Call), and then meet up with my niece and her boyfriend later. Yup, sounds like a plan;)!

AIP- sounds great! I'm glad he remember us as we sure remembered him. :)

Hopefully you'll luck out and have a sunny day like we had last year. Definitely as him if the Cornelia Marie is in town and he'll take you by there to see it if so. We got some wonderful reflection shots last year of the fishing boats.

Yes, you can easily walk into town if no mobility issues. HAL does provide a bus but they ask that only those with mobility issues use it. It was about a 15-20 minute walk along a not very busy street thru more of an industrial area with a fish processing plant, some warehouses, etc. Things in downtown Kodiak are pretty spread out (google it for a clear map), and none of the museums/shopping/sites are really that close to each other. Its a real Alaska town, very pretty - with a lovely waterfront area.

FPM - we booked with Dake this morning! When I told my niece and her boyfriend about it they said "Bag the car, book with Dake!" so I wasted NO time - LOL! Sooooo looking forward to this! And yes, I'm hoping the Cornelia Marie will be there again - we missed it last year, even tho we asked our cab driver if it was in port and he said no:(! Would love to add that Deadliest Catch boat to my photo collection of the Time Bandit in Homer last year;)!

• 3 years later...

FWIW, an interesting article on Dake and Kadie Schmidt the owners of Memory Makers:

She’s quite a catch! Couple who love fishing marry in a river filled with salmon, flanked by groomsmen carrying rods and wearing waders

article-0-1B29AEAF000005DC-239_634x378.jpg

article-0-1B296465000005DC-228_634x342.jpg

Read the entire story: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2385281/Kodiak-Alaska-couple-love-fishing-marry-river-filled-salmon.html

Oh and by the way, I did their 3 hour cruise ship tour off the Amsterdam while in Kodiak and it was excellent. At $75 pp and in 6 passenger (sort of luxury) vans it was a bargain compared to the comparable tours sold by the ship. The ship's tours were on school buses. I highly recommend their tour.