SEEKING ADVICE: Scuba in Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

schmeed

Sailing on FOS April 3rd. I want to go on a 2-tank scuba dive in either Cozumel or Grand Cayman. I am leaning toward Grand Cayman.

Any recommendations?

1. Grand Cayman or Cozumel?

2. Dive location in either?

3. Book through RCCL or is there a better outside tour operator?

I am certified and have my own gear (sans tank and weights) but MAY NOT take the gear.

Thanks!

I used Scuba with Alison in Cozumel the last two times I have been there. I can't say enough about her. 65 for two tanks, dive your computer so if you don't use as much air as other people in the group she stays down with you so you get to use your tank. I will use her anytime I am in Cozumel for sure. And her boat is faster than any others I have seen on the island which is nice.

In Grand Cayman DON'T use the cruise ship if you are good on air consumption! I booked with them because of the time we were in port and was really disappointed. They limit the dives to 35 minutes which left me with over half a tank left on the first dive after talking with the crew about it they did let me and another go down a little before everyone on the second dive however I paid for a two tank dive and never used my first tank. I don't expect them to let me stay down for a 70min dive however I do expect at least 50min dives.

Also just be aware that when you book on your own you get to better sites in my opinion, you are in smaller groups( I have always picked operators that take 6-8 divers) with the cruise ship we had over 30. Grand Cayman was the first time I used the ship in 7 cruises. I have never had a issue booking on my own.

Another endorsement here for Alison. She's excellent. I would definitely pick Cozumel over Cayman. However, you can shore dive in Cayman if you can meet up with a buddy on the ship. Best place is to take a taxi up to Lighthouse point - DiveTech ($6.95/tank). If you really don't have enough time, or get off the ship too late due to slow tenders, then Eden Rock or Sunset House are within walking distance from the port. We always bring our own gear. Yes, it's a pain in those small cabins trying to clean it up, dry it and store it, but it is so much more pleasant to know your gear works, fits and has been serviced recently. :)

Cozumel - We have used Blue Angel on a number of trips. We have been satisfied with their service, but they have set times for outgoing boats unless you have enough to set up a private charter.

We are also trying to find alternatives to Blue Angel to fit our schedule at this time. We have heard good things about XT Sea, but I have not used them so it is all hearsay.

Grand Cayman - Dive Tech is professional. Dove with them many years ago. http://www.divetech.com/

Divers Down was very friendly and professional when we used them last summer. They are within walking distance of the cruise terminal (3-4 blocks). www.diversdown.net

Cayman will be higher priced than Cozumel by $30-40 for two tank dives.

Have a good time.

I say dive both! In Cozumel I always use Scuba with Alison. She caters to cruise ship divers and will work with your arrival times. I can't say enough good things about her.

You can shore dive in GC. Eden rock & Sunset house are in walking distance, or you can catch a cab to Dive Tech. You can also rent a guide for a reasonable price.

• 1 month later...

I just got back from a cruise with a stop at Cozumel. We used Eagle Ray Divers, and I can highly recommend them. There were 4 of us on a dive/snorkel excursion, and we had 3 helpers who took great care of us. I was the only diver so had the dive master to myself for both dives. The Santa Rosa wall was AMAZING. I hope to return soon to take my son diving there.

• 2 weeks later...

In the last few months I've been back to both Cozumel and Cayman and used rental gear (bc and regs; weights tank etc - we carry MFS) at Sunset House/Sunset divers in CG and Sunset Beach in Coz.

The BC's and regs were all in good repair and all the equipment I saw appeared so. SSD used all ScubaPro for rentals . . .

In CG, having done the wall a zillion times I'm very happy to do shore dives on my own and find the lack of other divers, friendly staff and proximity of the reef good reasons to dive Sunset House. Unfortunately in Coz you really need a boat to get to the decent diving like you do in CG if you want the wall.

If you do dive in Cozumel, Aldora is another good company that caters to cruise ship divers. Here's a link.

http://aldora.com/cruising.htm

Also, depending on where you the ship docks, there may be a good land-based operator right at that pier.

You may want to snoop around at scubaboard.com as well; they have a cruise forum as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also planning dives in both of these places in October. We had planned to go to Grand Cayman last Feb, but our itinerary got changed due to engine problems on the ship, so we missed it. We were going to use Neptune Divers. They were always prompt with replies and were very cooperative with refund policies as well. We read a lot of good things about them here on CC.

• 4 weeks later...
Wanted to follow up and see how the dive op was and how your dives went.....

It was good. Josh was the Dive Master and he was friendly and funny. On this dive, there were 3 recreational divers (including myself), 2 dive masters, 2 divers completing their master training and 1 intern. There were 6 "instructors" for 3 divers. :)

First dive was to Marty's Wall. It was a 100 ft. dive and we saw tons of marine life and the coral is beautiful there. Saw Marty's plaque as well. Stayed down about 45 minutes.

Second dive was to the Spanish Anchor. Dove about 50 minutes.

http://www.divemastersreview.com/dive_locations/dive_reviews_caribbean/grandcayman_spanish-anchor.htm

Very cool seeing an old anchor stuck in the coral. You can stick your finger in a hole they made (to remove a sample and carbon date it) and if you rub it on your forehead, you're supposed to "get lucky". :)

I brought my own snorkel, mask, fins and wet suit and rented the BC and reg. Both were in good working condition. No leaks.

I would definitely dive with them again and would recommend them to other divers as well.

Next time I'm in Grand Cayman, I am diving the USS Kittiwake. It is HIGHLY recommended by all the dive shops. http://www.kittiwakecayman.com/

Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer.

It was good. Josh was the Dive Master and he was friendly and funny. On this dive, there were 3 recreational divers (including myself), 2 dive masters, 2 divers completing their master training and 1 intern. There were 6 "instructors" for 3 divers. :)

First dive was to Marty's Wall. It was a 100 ft. dive and we saw tons of marine life and the coral is beautiful there. Saw Marty's plaque as well. Stayed down about 45 minutes.

Second dive was to the Spanish Anchor. Dove about 50 minutes.

http://www.divemastersreview.com/dive_locations/dive_reviews_caribbean/grandcayman_spanish-anchor.htm

Very cool seeing an old anchor stuck in the coral. You can stick your finger in a hole they made (to remove a sample and carbon date it) and if you rub it on your forehead, you're supposed to "get lucky". :)

I brought my own snorkel, mask, fins and wet suit and rented the BC and reg. Both were in good working condition. No leaks.

I would definitely dive with them again and would recommend them to other divers as well.

Next time I'm in Grand Cayman, I am diving the USS Kittiwake. It is HIGHLY recommended by all the dive shops. http://www.kittiwakecayman.com/

Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer.

That is good to know...thanks for the input. We will be in Grand Cayman in October and this will give us another option to consider. Glad to hear your dives were good.

That is good to know...thanks for the input. We will be in Grand Cayman in October and this will give us another option to consider. Glad to hear your dives were good.

I highly recommend diving Turtel Reef (at the Cracked Conch Restaurant) on your own - along the West End Wall in Grand Cayman- the mini wall is excellent and easy to get to. Non-divers can snorkel and afterwards, relax on the deck at the cracked conch.

In GC, we dive Eden's rock and Devil's Grotto off the tender dock. You can get a guide to show you the swim throughts for about $30. Fish may nibble on your hair or rope.

In Cozumel, we use a dive master recommended by our local dive shop: hernan bacelis fuentes at hernanbacelis@hotmail.com. Last two trips my husband and I had the boat and diver master to our selves. We selected the dive sites and dove based on my computer since I use a 63 ft tank. Will get Nitrox if you request it in advance. A little slow in responding to e-mails.

• 2 weeks later...

Great info here!

My wife and I are doing our OW dives this weekend, along with the PPB class immediately afterwards. The same instructor will have another OW class next month, and said he'd be happy to do an underwater navigator class for us during the OW portion of his class.

We are also looking at diving in Grand Cayman and Cozumel on our December cruise on the Carnival Magic.

Scubaboard does have lots of good info as well.

We're really looking forward to this new adventure.

• 2 weeks later...
I say dive both! In Cozumel I always use Scuba with Alison. She caters to cruise ship divers and will work with your arrival times. I can't say enough good things about her.

You can shore dive in GC. Eden rock & Sunset house are in walking distance, or you can catch a cab to Dive Tech. You can also rent a guide for a reasonable price.

Based on this, as well as other reccommendations here and on scubaboard.com, we booked with Alison for our December cruise. Even from just the e-mail correspondence back and forth, Alison seems to be very easy to work with.

For GC, we might end up booking through Carnival, as believe it or not, they are the best price. The dive op they're contracted with, Don Foster's, appears to be a good dive operator.

Is it December yet?

:D

I just got back from diving at Cozumel with BlueXTSea Diving. I would highly recommend them. Miguel, the divemaster, was terrific! I'm going back there in August and will dive with them again. I'm also going back to Grand Cayman on the same cruise and probably will dive with Eden Rock on a two-tank boat dive.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived