Panama Colon Free Zone

dancing

Need information on this from recent travelers who have shopped there. Are the product (ie handbags,etc) really the orginials or are they fakes as we can get in the U.S.? Many thanks.

I've been wondering about his area myself. I hope you get some replies. The Coral docks in Colon from 5pm to 8pm and I'm wondering if there is enough time to get to the free zone, if it will still be daylight and if it's worth it.

Hi , we will be there on the Regal this month. Just wondering if there is any shopping at the secure dock area ?? Especially interested in hand craft items, any suggestions. We don't intend to leave the port dock area. Thanks

Cori

Some of the best stuff there is the handcrafted items offered by the local tribe. This is also some of the more expensive items and, it is kind of difficult to negotiate with people wearing no clothing.

By the people wearing no clothing comment mentioned above, I assume you are talking about the Panama natives who are there doing native dances.

From what we heard when we were there two years ago the actual duty free zone, which consists of a warehouse area that is surrounded by barbwire and armed guards, is only for people who want to buy in large quantities, like a shipping container load.

The shopping area that is right at the port has a variety of shops that sell local souvenirs and some high quality goods but the prices are nothing to write home about. I would also question how much of the name brand merchandise is "real" and how much is counterfeit.

We did the Train tour which was interesting when we were at this port but when we did it we got to travel in the train across to the Pacific and then did a short bus tour and then got back on the train and came back. I understand now they only do the train one way and then bus you back which wouldn't have been near as nice.

Have a great next cruise.

Yes there are some local people there selling their wares and the women and men do not wear any top at all. On the bottom men and women are only wearing loin clothes. They paint their bodies with all different color paints. It is definitely a sight to see. I think people only go over to look at their wares to see their bodies naked. I was checking out the things they made and they were priced very high. $200 for a basket. Ridiculous. Their are camera stores and electronics store with slightly cheaper prices but if you buy something there and it breaks who are you going to return it too. The best things to buy here would be tshirts. That is about it. The rest of the stuff is junk type souvenirs. It is just fun to get off the ship and walk around but it is hard to sift thru the stuff and find things to buy.

I read on another posting, that there was lots to buy in the free zone. One poster said that his wife bought lots of perfume. Others have said that it's the best place to shop.

Guess just have to wait and check it out for myself.

It can't be any worse than getting of the ship in Jamaica:confused:

I have to agree with Scott. The area immediately outside the port was quite shocking, even for someone who has been to some pretty dismal places in the world. One of the ladies on our cruise hired an armed guard to go shopping in that area. Apparently there are some decent stores, if you can look past the people armed with automatic weapons and the fact that there is no way in hell that you will be able to avoid sticking out like a sore thumb.

We passed a large area that was supposedly the "free zone" shopping area. It looked pretty deserted. Time did not permit us an opportunity to stop. You can take a cab to this place. It's best to pay the driver to stay.

The duty free zone that is basically many streets of various sellers is accessible by anyone. It is true that some only sell wholesale but many or most will sell individual items. We were there last March (Celebrity Horizon) and it was a very short walk from the dock. However, we were not impressed with it. I looked at the prices on some electronic items such as digital cameras and I could buy for the same or better price on the internet. We bought nothing.

David

Just off the Coral last week, and Cristobal is NOT a good place. Our tour guide told us to stay away, probably the creepiest place I've seen yet. Stay at the pier, shop, have a beer, and if you get a chance, the outdoor restaurant has a wonderful chicken and rice lunch. The cruiselines don't have a guarded pier for nothing.

I'm a bit confused about the two ports. We are on the Coral next month and our docs say Colon. So I guess maybe it alternates between the two? At any rate, neither port seems very desirable when it comes to shopping. Plus docking at 5 in the evening, it doesn't seem there would be much daylight left.

There are two docks in Colon. One is called Colon 2000 I think and the other Cristabol. Unless something has changed recently the Coral docks at Cristabol. Your docs say Colon because you are in the city of Colon there is just two pier areas.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Colon city is ugly and with a lot of poor people but the place in general is more safety than the major of cities in the world. and I think that free zone is no a paradise for retail buyers but I prefer go to Free zone and looking around than stay inside the Cristobal pier thinking that outside is the hell.

PD: the hell is located in Grand Cayman and is one of the major places visited.

wapanda - are taxis readily availablelat Cristobal to go to Colon 2000 and is it easy to take a taxi back to the Pier at Cristobal. Is it true they are only a few minutes apart? Are there any particular good buys in Colon? Last time we went to Cristobal we stayed at the pier because we thought there was noplace else to go, but later we talked to some ladies who had taken the taxi to Colon. This time my husband would like to get outside the port area even if it is only to make a very short trip to Colon.

Archived