Outraged with Upsell Desk

greenie

My BF and I have booked an AD suite for the 5/1 sailing. I had my travel agent call the upsell desk today to find out what kind of price they would give me to upsell to an AA suite.

We have paid around $6000 for our AD suite. On the NCL website, they list the AA suite for the 5/1 sailing at a total of $8057 (4025+ pp). We're talking a difference of about 2500, here.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY QUOTED ME TO UPSELL TO AN AA? They want $3500 more per person PLUS added insurance PLUS added port charges PLUS additional insurance.

Where the heck do they get off charging me more than $5000 more for the cabin than they charge on their own website?? I am furious. I don't understand it. NONE of the AAs are booked yet for that cruise--do they think people are going to line up to get hosed on the price? I am really mad and just totally confused as to why they would do this.

Seriously-Perturbed-with-NCL Greenie

Ann, OK, I understand that the deals aren't out there to be had anymore. But no one said we could no longer upgrade by paying the difference! I would have been happy with just doing that, but instead they tried to seriously rip me off. AND charge more than they advertise on their Web site. How can that be? That's false advertising isn't it??

Ann, OK, I understand that the deals aren't out there to be had anymore. But no one said we could no longer upgrade by paying the difference! I would have been happy with just doing that, but instead they tried to seriously rip me off. AND charge more than they advertise on their Web site. How can that be? That's false advertising isn't it??

We are playing post tag:eek:

I don`t have all the info. on this so I can`t make a judgement, sorry.

No, it's not false advertising. And you didn't pay the difference so you weren't ripped off. As others said, you can no longer call the upsell desk and get an upsell. If you aren't happy with the suite you have then cancel and rebook for the higher price. Also, being able to upgrade and pay the difference isn't a guarantee. It never has been. If the cruise line can sell that room for full fare or higher because it's a popular sailing then why would they take a few hundred dollars from you so you can upgrade? Hopefully you'll like the current suite you're in.

I didn't say I was ripped off, I said they tried to. And that's the way it feels to me, Cecelia, what can I say.

And yes of course I am happy with my AD, But for special reasons I decided it would be really wonderful to surprise my dear BF with an AA. I upgraded once before and paid the difference so naturally I would assume that would be required. It seemed reasonable to me, still does. I'm not even looking for a "deal" here, that's why I feel upset. The difference is a bit more than a couple hundred dollars--more like $2700 from what I can figure. Seems stupid to me NOT to make the sale! A fair deal for all and a happy new customer. Good business all around as far as I can see.

My BF and I have booked an AD suite for the 5/1 sailing. I had my travel agent call the upsell desk today to find out what kind of price they would give me to upsell to an AA suite.

We have paid around $6000 for our AD suite. On the NCL website, they list the AA suite for the 5/1 sailing at a total of $8057 (4025+ pp). We're talking a difference of about 2500, here.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THEY QUOTED ME TO UPSELL TO AN AA? They want $3500 more per person PLUS added insurance PLUS added port charges PLUS additional insurance.

Where the heck do they get off charging me more than $5000 more for the cabin than they charge on their own website?? I am furious. I don't understand it. NONE of the AAs are booked yet for that cruise--do they think people are going to line up to get hosed on the price? I am really mad and just totally confused as to why they would do this.

Seriously-Perturbed-with-NCL Greenie

I am not doubting what you say and understand your anger, but I take exception to the statement, they want to charge you more in port charges. I think you did misunderstand that part. this is a set fee, no matter what line you cruise, what kind of cabin or stareroom and what date you are traveling. Port charges are based on what the ports charge the cruise line. As for insurence, of course they charge more, again insurence is based on the cost of the cruise, the more you spend the higher the rate. this is like your car or home insurence; it works the indentical way. Why the price difference from the website I can't explain. NMNita

I didn't say I was ripped off, I said they tried to.
I didn't say you were ripped off. On the contrary I said you weren't ripped off just as you said here. Had you paid the fee then maybe you would have felt ripped off. I guess what I don't understand is why are you so upset at NCL and the upsell desk. You booked a room and you were happy with the price you paid because you paid it. Now you want a better room because it would be nice and they want too much money. It seems to me that no one has been unfair. They want to charge a certain amount and you don't want to pay it. So you have exactly what you paid for and nothing less. I've wanted to upgrade/upsell before and the price was too high so I stayed with what I had. Your anger doesn't make sense to me. You can, of course, be angry and it doesn't matter if I get it or not.

Greenie-

Please don't start your cruise being "furious" and "seriously preturbed"

You are on a fabulous vacation with the man you love in a suite that is better than most of the cabins on the ship. You will be waited on hand and foot and eat as much food as you can possibly handle. I hope you don't spoil the anticipation of your vacation by being bitter about your lack of upsell. You are already in a penthouse--it will be great.

LOL at the possible BF translation! :-)

DCT61, I wonder what the penalty WOULD be. Good point. I might check that out. As a last resort...

Cecelia, let's just agree to disagree on this one, shall we? We look at it differently. I express my emotions when I really feel strongly about something--I was mad, so I sounded mad. Period. And like you said, we don't have to agree on whether I "should" have been mad.

NewMexico Nita, I agree that the port charges added was bizarre. I scribbled down everything my TA told me she was told--and Port Charges was indeed on her list. I questioned her about that, about why the high price, etc and was told the old useless standard so-glad-I'm-giving-my-commission-to-YOU reply "That's what they told me." Time for a new TA?!

Karfest, thanks for the sweet words. I promise I am not bitter--I was angry before and disappointed. Now I am a little pissed and disappointed. Eventually, I'll just be wistful. Then I'll eventually be on the Dawn with a frozen margarita clutched in my winter-pale Northeast hand and I'll be wistless (or is that witless?). NUTHIN''s gonna take away from cruisin with my honey in our Romance Suite (not a Penthouse, but fiiine nonetheless).

Plus, I haven't quite given up yet. ;-)

Greenie,

Something doesn't sound right here. I understand exactly what you are saying. The price for the AD is 6K. The price for the AA is 8K. Why would NCL quote an additional 7K to you on top of your 6K to make the AA 13K. I don't believe NCL would quote that simply because they would come up with the 8K rate when searching their database. Another thing that was mentioned was additional port charges. There's only a uniform port charge for all passengers on a sailing no matter what cat your in. I believe that someone tried to rip you off, but it wasn't NCL. I think it was your TA.

Chuck

Cecelia, let's just agree to disagree on this one, shall we? We look at it differently. I express my emotions when I really feel strongly about something--I was mad, so I sounded mad. Period. And like you said, we don't have to agree on whether I "should" have been mad.
My name is spelled Cecilia and you can be as angry as you like. I don't see why but I don't have to. If it's that upsetting, I'd cancel.

Chuck, I think you're right that something wasn't right. I am thinking maybe the representative from the TA-for-the-Masses that I use didn't know what the heck she was doing (at the very least). Colorado, you betcha I'll give it another shot. Different rep, perhaps different story. Ya never know! ;)

Chuck, I think you're right that something wasn't right. I am thinking maybe the representative from the TA-for-the-Masses that I use didn't know what the heck she was doing (at the very least). Colorado, you betcha I'll give it another shot. Different rep, perhaps different story. Ya never know! ;)

This is a simple problem. You're outside the final payment window. Call your TA for the masses and let them know what you can book for. They have one shot to give you what you want or you are cancelling and booking somewhere else. Do not get stressed. Cruising is about fun. Even booking a cruise should be a game.

You want complex I went to pay for my next cruise and was told I had no reservation and all the cabins I would want are gone. I have a copy of the invoice and no booking. Mr Vietch and I are working it out in a resonable fashion.

Don't get outraged get what you want. Life is too short

don't know if you will be able to swing a AA for a price you would be willing to pay, but I can assure you, no matter what your agent told you, the port charges are set and no one told her/him they would go up if you switced to a different suiite. NMnita

rebook directly with NCL. Agents are actually a handicap when seeking an upsell (at a reasonable price) from this cruiseline. Their new policy of "don't call us, we'll call you" works best if they can call you directly. There is a bit of loyalty involved. Wave of the future my friends.

Peter

The experience you had with your cabin reservation disappearing for no reason happened to us last year too. We had deposits made on five cabins but for some unknown reason, out TA learned that one of the reservations was gone. Fortunately, we were early enough in the booking process that the issue was resolved with no issues. NCL stepped right in and worked with our TA and corrected the problem. Your situation is a bit different, hopefully they can work something out for you. I'm sure Mr. Veitch's involvment will be to your advantage.

By the way, I'm curious to know how quickly you receive a response now that you are working directly with Mr. Veitch? Let us know, if you don't mind.

We sent Mr. Veitch a certified/return receipt letter that was signed for on Monday morning. We are curious to know when we might receive a response from him. We hope the letter actually goes to his desk, since unfortunately we haven't received what would be an appropriate response from his customer service staff. (We had a whole ordeal involving cruise credits associated with a Pride of Aloha sailing last Summer.) With his involvment, I'm sure things will go in favor of the customer as long as the request is legitimate, which obviously yours is.

Good luck!

Archived