Wonderful World of Wine on NCL Ships

Hi all,

I've taken a good long look at the posts here and I think I have assimilated the following. I would appreciate it if you could please confirm and/or comment.

* on most NCL cruises on day of departure for a few hours you can "pre-buy" wine for a 20% discount

* wine (and everything else onboard) is taxed at the local rate until you have departed

* wine package/discounts are not available at other times (for example a pre-package like on RCI or any other time)

* otherwise, most wine is a minimum of $28USD+15% per bottle gratuity and up

* wine quality, even at a minimum is "decent" (see, e.g. yellow label Wolfe Blass at $32) . . . by decent I mean not swill

* you are free to bring your own onboard for a $15USD corckage fee per 750mls

Cheers!

Hi all,

I've taken a good long look at the posts here and I think I have assimilated the following. I would appreciate it if you could please confirm and/or comment.

* on most NCL cruises on day of departure for a few hours you can "pre-buy" wine for a 20% discount This was true on the Jewel in December...about 5 reds and 5 whites and one sparkling to choose from. You had to purchase 7 bottles. All were very good (not swill) but I generally like most wines I try. I think this is usually offered on embarkation day only (perhaps first sea day too?). There is a table in the atrium set up on embarkation day where you can sign up.

* wine (and everything else onboard) is taxed at the local rate until you have departed Not sure, I thought we were still in port when I purchased this and I don't think I was charged an extra tax.

* wine package/discounts are not available at other times (for example a pre-package like on RCI or any other time)

I think you can call the bar set up folks for liquor. I am fairly certain my dad purchased a bottle of wine for DH and me prior to sailing as well. However, NCL does not offer a buy-before-cruise-and-save-20% deal

* otherwise, most wine is a minimum of $28USD+15% per bottle gratuity and up I think there are bottles for a little bit less, but they are all over 20$

* wine quality, even at a minimum is "decent" (see, e.g. yellow label Wolfe Blass at $32) . . . by decent I mean not swill Yes, all I have had are decent and some are very good. We generally drink white wine with an occassional red. My favorite is Bex Riesling (#285 on the list). 32$ plus gratuity and it was also on the list for the buy 7 get 20% off. It is on the sweeter side but it's delicious!

* you are free to bring your own onboard for a $15USD corckage fee per 750mls Yes-you can bring your favorites from home to enjoy on the ship! Some have reported 30$ for the big bottles and some have just paid 15$.

Cheers!

Hope this helps and is accurate!

Coffeecat

On our last several NCL cruises (including Sky last April, Jewel and Jade in summer of '09) we paid the "flat" $15 per bottle for the 1.5 L bottles - I generally brought 4-5 with me, particularly if we are traveling with others. Even if you buy a $20+ 1.5 L bottle of "decent" wine at the store and then add the $15 "corkage fee" you're still paying about the same as the "restaurant' price for a bottle that would be half the size and probably of lesser quality - they will also happily put your wine in their cellar for your use the following meal if you don't finish it. You can also buy bottles of wine in port and pay the corkage fee when you come back aboard - we did this frequenlty on our two 2-week European cruises.

I bring the bottles aboard with my carry on bag and fully expect to get pulled aside to pay the corkage fee and have the stickers placed on my bottles. If you bring your own bottle to dinner they will also ask you for your cabin number - I assume to double check that you paid the corkage fee.

Hope this helps.

~Bob

Hi all,

* on most NCL cruises on day of departure for a few hours you can "pre-buy" wine for a 20% discount

* wine (and everything else onboard) is taxed at the local rate until you have departed

* otherwise, most wine is a minimum of $28USD+15% per bottle gratuity and up

* wine quality, even at a minimum is "decent" (see, e.g. yellow label Wolfe Blass at $32) . . . by decent I mean not swill

* you are free to bring your own onboard for a $15USD corckage fee per 750mls

Cheers!

you seem to have it down pretty pat except I don't know about the wine being taxed until you leave port. BTW, while you are in port or prior to leaving the embarkation port nothing is sold so what can be taxed?

Nita

you seem to have it down pretty pat except I don't know about the wine being taxed until you leave port. BTW, while you are in port or prior to leaving the embarkation port nothing is sold so what can be taxed?

Nita

I've bought drinks before as soon as we boarded and you are charged the local sales tax.

The only thing I can see possibly incorrect is Your third point, about wine packages not being available any other time but sail away. The only reason I know this for sure is because I was looking just yesterday at the Jewel dailies from July (looking for beer bucket prices). There was a wine tasting listed for the first full day (in the Daily) and it stated again the opportunity to purchase a "wine package". I also remember seeing the "wine package display" on other ships other than sail away, but not sure if they have done it every time on every ship. YMMV on the corkage fees as well, there are some sailing that I have declared my wine and not been charged, others that just charge and don't even look at the bottle (or size), and one that looked and stickered each bottle.

Robin

I have just a couple of questions after you pre-purchase....What is the procedure?

To receive you bottle of wine, do you ask for your bottle of wine at dinner? Also, if you don't finish your bottle can you take it back to your room or does it have to be stored in their cellar?

Thanks!!:)

Wonderful information, thanks!

I have a couple of additional questions with respect to the prepay - do you have to select your bottles up front, or do you just agree to purchase a certain number and then choose as you go? Does anyone know/remember what wine choices are available?

Thanks again!

:-) amcb

I have the same question with regard as to whether you are allowed to take bottles to your room or are you restricted to drinking the wine in the dining rooms. I don't know if you get the full choice of their wine list, but if you are interested in what the wine list includes, go to ncl.com, click on "get ready for your cruise", then "bon voyage gifts" and midway down the page there is a pdf file of the wine list.

B. Cole

Wish I could help with your "wine package" questions, but since I have never actually purchased one, I really don't know for sure. BUT, I would imagine you could do whatever you wanted with your bottles - take them to your room, the shows, etc - just like a regular wine purchase. You likely just get a receipt and you can have them retrieve a bottle during dinner or at a bar, and take it wherever you like. As for selection, the display had several bottles to choose from, don't know if you could pay more to go "off-menu", although I do recall that on last year's Jade holiday sailing, I am pretty sure they offered at least two "levels" of packages, haven't noticed it on other sailings, but haven't looked either. The wine selection onboard is very large compared to the one for "Bon Voyage" gifts, at least a full page of whites, reds, sparkling, etc .. Was hoping someone with better experience would answer, sorry!

Robin

I have just a couple of questions after you pre-purchase....What is the procedure?

To receive you bottle of wine, do you ask for your bottle of wine at dinner? Also, if you don't finish your bottle can you take it back to your room or does it have to be stored in their cellar?

Thanks!!:)

I usually bring my wine onboard and keep it in my cabin. I bring it to dinner with me and last year during the NBA finals I brought it to the lounge with me. If you bring it to dinner and want them to cellar the rest of the bottle they will and give you a slip so that the next time you ask for it the server will know it is located. I like keeping mine in the cabin for a pre-dinner drink.

Either way...enjoy your cruise and your wine!

It is an excellent system. You may retrieve the wines whenever and however you like. You select your wines and pay for them (that may be the only bad part--that you do need to select them up front). You get a receipt for each bottle with the name of the bottle on it. You can go to the bar or restaurant at any point in the trip and get all of them if you wish or just select the one that you wish to drink that moment. So if you go to dinenr and decide that one particular wine suits best--you jsut give them the receipt for that bottle and they bring it out. If you like to have them in your room that is fine.

We did a wine package on our 13 day Panama Canal trip. Selection is pretty limited compared to the full wine list (maybe 8 to 10 each red and white) but everything we got ( 12 bottles) was very good. Our butler brought the full case to the cabin the first afternoon and we just took whatever we wanted to dinner each night. Leftover wine? What's that?

The wine package was still available for at least a couple of days after departure, at a different bar each day.

Enjoy!

Blair

Thanks! Fantastic information all around.

We've previously only sailed in Europe where we would pick up a bottle of white and a bottle of red of whatever the local vintage was and would bring it to dinner with us (and pay the corkage fee). Very often we'd share some with the sommelier who might not have tried that particular wine before. This trip (Western Caribbean) will be very different for us in that we'll likely be purchasing all of our wine on board. So the wine package sounds great!

:-) amcb

I've not noticed a tax on drinks while in port other than on the Pride of America, but being Hawaiian-based, state sales tax applies to every purchase throughout the cruise. That applies to the wine package as well, although we didn't buy one on POA due to the minimum purchase being 7 bottles for a 7 night cruise...we didn't necessarily want to kill off a bottle every night. Most we bought individually at dinner we made stretch two nights.

We did buy a 10-bottle package on the Norwegian Jade for 21 nights of a B2B cruise. No, they don't offer the entire wine list that you get in the restaurants...it is a short list. Yes, you have to pick out the ones you want at the time (first day) because you are charged (to your room) the full balance up front, and the bottles are all different prices. We got paper tickets for each bottle and would present that to a waiter whenever and wherever we wanted it. If you don't finish you have the option to take it to your room or they will put it in central storage for you (with your name and room), which they retrieve for you whenever and wherever you want it - any bar or restaurant. A great system, and surprisingly quick for a large ship. So we used up our wine package but still had plenty of nights left to buy better wines of the full menu at dinner.

If you plan on buying enough wine during the cruise, then it is a good deal, considering the high pricing that exists onboard. We did have a hard time deciding which ones to get as many of the choices we recognized as cheap plonk with a high price, and others we weren't familiar with. DH is sensitive to some additives (extra sulfites and other things used to fix 'problems' in the wine making), so we have to play hunches when buying unknowns. We also hesitate to buy a $20 bottle of wine we have at home for $60 on the ship. Ah well, the price of enjoyment, and just think of the frequent flyer miles!

We're doing Royal Caribbean in March and I see they do have wine packages we can buy now, in advance. Not at all impressed with the list, though, even at the highest of 3 levels. But we may do it anyway, to lessen the shock of what would otherwise go on our shipboard bill at the end of the cruise. :eek:

Note that NCL does post a wine list that you can order from in advance, but that isn't the discount package...that's just a bottle to order ahead to have waiting in your room on embarkation. Hopefully your TA or a friend will have treated you to one! And what they list does top what RCCL lists, IMHO.

Slight thread hijack:

We just disembarked from the Jewel this week. During the cruise we bought a 2007 syrah from California. I remember thinking it tasted a bit immature (not surprising for such a young syrah). Is there anyone out there who looked at the wine list recently and can help refresh my memory as to what wine it might have been? I wanted to research it to see if it was a worthwhile purchase, and how long it should have been laid down prior to serving.

I tried to remember the name, but then I drank more wine.

Slight thread hijack:

We just disembarked from the Jewel this week. During the cruise we bought a 2007 syrah from California. I remember thinking it tasted a bit immature (not surprising for such a young syrah). Is there anyone out there who looked at the wine list recently and can help refresh my memory as to what wine it might have been? I wanted to research it to see if it was a worthwhile purchase, and how long it should have been laid down prior to serving.

Can't help you, but you sound like me :D. I always lost the little pieces of paper where I would scibble down the name of a new wine I liked (or else they were unreadbale lol). Started keeping lists in my cell phone - and now I have it whenever I hit the liquor store!

Robin

Slight thread hijack:

Here is the list of wines available from Bon Voyage as provided by another CCer. If it isn't the Artesa Syrah, back in 2007, they had Valley of the Moon Syrah on the list. I want to say that I still saw some Valley of the Moon on our more recent sailings. Both are Sonoma but Artesa is located in the Carneros region.

Wine List

Champagne & Sparkling Wine

Champagne Price NCL NCLA

Taittinger Brut "La Française" Champagne, France $74 072 522AMR

Moët & Chandon "Imperial" Champagne, France $69 071 502AMR

Veuve Clicquot Brut "Yellow Label" Champagne, France $82 123 504AMR

Dom Pérignon Brut Champagne, France $198 080 022AMR

Krug Grand Cuvée Champagne Reims, France $220 073 506AMR

Sparkling

Zardetto Prosecco Brut Veneto, Italy $34 100 306AMR

Segura Viudas Brut Cava Catalonia, Spain $32 101 310AMR

Mumm Napa Blanc de Noirs Napa Valley, California $39 150 062AMR

White Wine

Riesling

(Reese-ling) Apple, lemon, floral, apricot, fruity aromas, usually slightly sweet, with acidity for balance, and occasionally a mineral quality.

Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling Columbia Valley, Washington $29 160 334AMR

Studert-Prüm Riesling Auslese Wehlener Sonnenuhr, Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany $68 290 342AMR

Bex Riesling Mosel-Saar-Ruwer, Germany $32 292 338AMR

Spy Valley Riesling Marlborough, New Zealand $39 288 340AMR

Pinot Grigio

(Pee-noe Gree-joe) crisp, light, acidic, with pear, peach, and apricot, often with a light musky aroma.

Danzante Pinot Grigio delle Venezie, Italy $28 508 184AMR

Bertani Pinot Grigio "Velante" Veneto, Italy $32 515 344AMR

Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio Valdadige Veneto, Italy $37 509 190AMR

Cantina Terlano Pinot Grigio Alto Adige, Italy $39 511 348AMR

Sauvignon Blanc

(So-veen-YONH Blonh) Lemony, grassy, herbal aroma. Crisp, tangy, citrus and melon flavor. Usually quite dry.

Matua Valley Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough, New Zealand $35 280 336AMR

Duckhorn Sauvignon Blanc Napa Valley, California $64 140 332AMR

Hogue Fumé Blanc Columbia Valley, Washington $28 136 156AMR

Ferrari-Carano Fumé Blanc Sonoma County, California $39 138 160AMR

Chardonnay Bottle

(Shar-done-NAY) Buttery, creamy, appley, lemon and pineapple; medium-dry to full-bodied. Vanilla, butterscotch and smoke notes if oak-aged.

Louis Jadot Pouilly-Fuissé Burgundy, France $46 216 140AMR

Waterbrook Chardonnay Columbia Valley, Washington $33 229 330AMR

Meridian Vineyards Chardonnay Santa Barbara County, California $28 122 132AMR

Cuvaison Chardonnay Napa Valley, Carneros California $43 118 314AMR

Argyle Chardonnay "Nuthouse" Willamette Valley, Oregon $58 146 316AMR

Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay "Russian River Ranches," Sonoma Coast, California $45 120 142AMR

Jordan Chardonnay Russian River Valley, California $79 124 320AMR

Patz & Hall Chardonnay "Dutton Ranch," Russian River Valley, California $94 022 308AMR

Grgich Hills Chardonnay Napa Valley, California $89 020 324AMR

Ramey Chardonnay Carneros, California $85 142 318AMR

White Blends

Conundrum White California $53 1101 368AMR

D’Arenberg White "The Stump Jump" McLaren Vale South, Australia $33 1108 362AMR

Michel Leon Gewürztraminer Alsace, France $28 1102 370AMR

Beringer Blanc "Alluvium" Knights Valley, California $42 1103 364AMR

Navarro Gewürztraminer Anderson Valley, California $49 1105 360AMR

Red Wine

Pinot Noir

(PEA-no N’whar) Light to medium bodied; flavors of berries, and cherry, with truffle and clove-spice, smoke notes.

King Estate Pinot Noir Oregon $58 570 468AMR

Schug Pinot Noir Carneros, California $49 568 250AMR

Louis Jadot Pinot Noir Beaune "Bacchus Reserve" Burgundy, France $46 725 472AMR

Wild Horse Pinot Noir Central Coast, California $48 716 464AMR

Argyle Pinot Noir "Reserve" Willamette Valley, Oregon $73 712 466AMR

Chianti

(Key Ont Tee) sweet, tart cherry fruit flavors, bright ruby-red color, sometimes dry, becoming delicate, mild and velvety with age

Marchesi di Frescobaldi Chianti "Castiglioni" Tuscany, Italy $48 1318 204AMR

Castello Banfi Chianti Classico Riserva Tuscany, Italy $42 050 416AMR

Malbec

(Mahl-bek) blackberry, currant, ripe plum flavors, spicy notes with very deep ruby color and ripe, ample tannins

Terrazas de los Andes Malbec Reserva Mendoza, Argentina $34 784 494AMR

Merlot Bottle

Price Bin #

(Mare-LOW) Medium-bodied, dry and smooth with fruity black current, berry, and fresh flavors. Hints of mocha, cedar and vanilla, if oak-aged.

Benziger Family Winery Merlot Sonoma County, California $39 542 244AMR

Gordon Brothers Merlot Columbia Valley, Washington $53 1328 456AMR

Cakebread Merlot Napa Valley, California $94 201 460AMR

Nickel & Nickel Merlot "Harris Vineyard" Oakville, California $89 1335 454AMR

Shafer Merlot Napa Valley, California $86 1333 458AMR

Duckhorn Merlot Napa Valley, California $109 1326 452AMR

Zinfandel

Zinfandel (ZIN-fan-dell) Hearty, robust and tannic with jammy berry-like flavors and a touch of pepper and spice.

Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel "Heritage Vines" Sonoma County, California $34 576 474AMR

Neyers Zinfandel "Pato Vineyard" Contra Costa County, California $79 732 214AMR

Shiraz / Syrah

(Seer-rah) Full-bodied smokey and peppery, with sweet blackberries, prunes and smoke. Strong tannins.

Wolf Blass Shiraz "Yellow Label" South Australia $32 042 206AMR

Tintara Shiraz McLaren Vale, South Australia $39 742 480AMR

Artesa Syrah Sonoma Valley, California $53 746 218AMR

Cabernet Sauvignon

(Cah-bear-NAY so-veen YONH) Black cherry, current (cassis). Cedar and vanilla if oak-aged. Rich, medium to full bodied and strong dry tannins.

J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon "Seven Oaks" Paso Robles, California $37 200 434AMR

Columbia Crest Cabernet Sauvignon "Grand Estates" Columbia Valley, Washington $28 1352 436AMR

Jordan Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley, California $98 520 444AMR

Los Vascos Cabernet Sauvignon Colchagua Valley Central, Valley Chile $29 205 438AMR

*Prices listed do not include 15% gratuity. Price listed is subject to sales tax when required by law.

Cabernet Sauvignon cont.

Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $109 058 440AMR

Joseph Phelps Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $89 518 226AMR

St. Francis Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County, California $49 512 224AMR

Whitehall Lane Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $78 648 446AMR

Far Niente Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley, California $156 638 450AMR

Pillar Rock Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District, California $220 055 448AMR

Merryvale Cabernet Sauvignon "Reserve" Napa Valley, California $74 519 442AMR

New World Red Blends

De Martino Carmenère "Legado" Maipo Valley Reserva Central Valley, Chile $39 752 486AMR

Francis Coppola Claret "Black Label Diamond Series" California $49 1307 372AMR

Duckhorn Zinfandel Blend "Paraduxx" Napa Valley, California $96 1310 374AMR

Fairview Red "Goats do Roam In Villages" Coastal Region, South Africa $35 1320 422AMR

Veramonte "Primus Alto de Casablanca" Casablanca Valley, Aconcagua Chile $47 1319 420AMR

Chimney Rock Winery Cabernet Blend "Elevage" Stags Leap District, California $119 1306 376AMR

Franciscan Oakville Estate Meritage "Magnificat" Napa Valley, California $89 1304 402AMR

Swanson "Alexis" Oakville, California $104 1305 380AMR

Quintessa Cabernet Blend Rutherford, California $199 1303 282AMR

Old World Red Blends Bottle

Louis Jadot Beaujolais-Villages Beaujolais, France $27 163 258AMR

Marqués de Cáceres Crianza Rioja, Spain $35 1314 268AMR

M. Chapoutier Côtes du Rhône "Belleruche" Rhône, France $36 1308 264AMR

Castello del Poggio Barbera d’Asti Piedmont, Italy $27 1316 390AMR

Château Batailley Pauillac Bordeaux, France $109 1321 400AMR

Château Bellisle Mondotte St.-Emilion Bordeaux, France $35 1323 404AMR

Château Mont-Redon Châteauneuf-du-Pape Rhône, France $51 1309 406AMR

San Felice Toscana "Vigorello" Tuscany, Italy $94 786 476AMR

Ca’ Marcanda Toscana "Magari" Tuscany, Italy $105 156 408AMR

Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino Tuscany, Italy $109 756 488AMR

White Zinfandel / Rosé

(Whyt ZIN-fan-dell) Made from the Zinfandel grapes. Usually sweet, fruity, crisp and fresh.

Beringer White Zinfandel California $24 182 498AMR

E. Guigal Rosé Côtes du Rhône Rhône, France $40 184 199AMR

Dessert Wine

Selbach-Oster Riesling Beerenauslese $95 794 464AMR

"Bernkasteler Badstube" Mosel-Saar-Ruwer Germany

Kosher & Non Alcoholic Wine

Kosher

Manischewitz, Concord Red $22 207 490AMR

Manischewitz, Concord White $22 209 492AMR

Non Alcoholic

White Zinfandel $22 211 424AMR

White $22 214 426AMR

Red $22 215 428AMR

Sparkling $22 217 430AMR

*Prices

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I've not noticed a tax on drinks while in port other than on the Pride of America, but being Hawaiian-based, state sales tax applies to every purchase throughout the cruise. That applies to the wine package as well, although we didn't buy one on POA due to the minimum purchase being 7 bottles for a 7 night cruise...we didn't necessarily want to kill off a bottle every night. Most we bought individually at dinner we made stretch two nights.

We did buy a 10-bottle package on the Norwegian Jade for 21 nights of a B2B cruise. No, they don't offer the entire wine list that you get in the restaurants...it is a short list. Yes, you have to pick out the ones you want at the time (first day) because you are charged (to your room) the full balance up front, and the bottles are all different prices. We got paper tickets for each bottle and would present that to a waiter whenever and wherever we wanted it. If you don't finish you have the option to take it to your room or they will put it in central storage for you (with your name and room), which they retrieve for you whenever and wherever you want it - any bar or restaurant. A great system, and surprisingly quick for a large ship. So we used up our wine package but still had plenty of nights left to buy better wines of the full menu at dinner.

If you plan on buying enough wine during the cruise, then it is a good deal, considering the high pricing that exists onboard. We did have a hard time deciding which ones to get as many of the choices we recognized as cheap plonk with a high price, and others we weren't familiar with. DH is sensitive to some additives (extra sulfites and other things used to fix 'problems' in the wine making), so we have to play hunches when buying unknowns. We also hesitate to buy a $20 bottle of wine we have at home for $60 on the ship. Ah well, the price of enjoyment, and just think of the frequent flyer miles!

We're doing Royal Caribbean in March and I see they do have wine packages we can buy now, in advance. Not at all impressed with the list, though, even at the highest of 3 levels. But we may do it anyway, to lessen the shock of what would otherwise go on our shipboard bill at the end of the cruise. :eek:

Note that NCL does post a wine list that you can order from in advance, but that isn't the discount package...that's just a bottle to order ahead to have waiting in your room on embarkation. Hopefully your TA or a friend will have treated you to one! And what they list does top what RCCL lists, IMHO.

Doing a b2b in October (7 day Med & 13 day TA) this year and curious to know if the coupons for the wine carry over to the second cruise if not used up in the first leg.

Does anyone have any vintage info for the wines on this list???

Also, can you order champagnes (non-vintage :D) as part of an on-board wine package?

hawkeye most of the wines on the list would be non vintage varieties by the looks of them. And omg more than $30 for wolf blass yellow label geezus I know its import for you guys but thats nuts :D guess I will be trying some American ones on the cruise

Archived