Amsterdam Cabin Question

OJ46

Hi All. Thank you for the answers, You are so helpful. I think we are on the same Asia Australia cruise in Sept. with you , Ron.

Bev

Hi, Bev. It's going to be a great trip! Looking forward to meeting you.

Ron

I wasn't planning on changing as my son and his family are next door,in J1048 and we booked that way purposely.I have read very good things about those J cabins on main deck.I even told them to mark it no upgrade,as we wanted to stay next door to each other.I like the fact of having a nice couch in the room.

Hi, Bev. It's going to be a great trip! Looking forward to meeting you.

Ron

You are right, Ron. We have never been to Asia and are certainly looking forward to this cruise. We are up there in years. :) Hope we can keep up with everyone. Bev

Hi

I can't seem to find some of these cabins on the Amsterdam. There is no dolphen deck. some of these cabins people mention I can't find on Amsterdam deck plans

help

Mary

The dolphin deck is the lowest deck.

Here is a good link. You also need to select each deck you want to see ("view another deck") and then scroll down to see the deck layout for that deck.

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=am&deck=d&year=next

Hi

I can't seem to find some of these cabins on the Amsterdam. There is no dolphen deck. some of these cabins people mention I can't find on Amsterdam deck plans

help

Mary

Perhaps you were looking at the deck plans for the "ms Nieuw Amsterdam". She does not have a dolphin deck.

Hi

No I was reading the above posts.

Mary

Did you check out the link I posted above. It is a great link. The deck plans are very large and you can see the full layout of each deck. The link will take you right to the dolphin deck. Then if you want to look at any other decks, you have to choose which one you want. I hope this helps.

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=am&deck=d&year=next

VB Mom - just wanted to thank you for the link. So much easier and larger than on HAL's website!

Glad you found it helpful. Not sure, but it might be part of the HAL website. I found it be googling rather than navigating the HAL website.

Hi Ron

thank you for the link. I have this years Holland American brochure and the deck plans do not match. This is what was messing me up.

brochure has a dolphin deck state rooms numbers 1800-1964

your lnk to Holland America has Deck A

state rooms 700-848

main deck is the same

I will use your link as it looks like its been updated.

thank you

Not sure, but it might be part of the HAL website.
Yes, the fact that it says book.hollandamerica.com says so.

thank you for the link. I have this years Holland American brochure and the deck plans do not match. This is what was messing me up.

brochure has a dolphin deck state rooms numbers 1800-1964

your lnk to Holland America has Deck A

state rooms 700-848

main deck is the same

I will use your link as it looks like its been updated.

:confused: I don't know what you're looking at, but the Amsterdam has never had a Deck A or 3-digit cabin numbers. :confused:

Dolphin Deck 1800-1964 is the correct one.

I am looking at the holland america book page 111-112.

Mary

I never looked at the book, just used the online layouts. I do see though that the book is calling the Dolphin Deck the A Deck and the layouts are different from the layouts I linked you to above. Just use the link above. I booked my cruise and my confirmation shows my cabin number. It does not exist on the layout in the book. Obviously someone goofed.

Have you come close to booking yet? Which cabins are you looking at?

I looked today. I want to book as soon as possible. I am looking at J rooms as most people here loved them. I don't want to pay outside rooms. I will want to be on deck and use the cabin for sleeping. I had a inside cabin many year ago on World Explorer cruise lin and has a inside room. not sure a outside room matters in Alaska. plus its a lot more money

Mary

I looked today. I want to book as soon as possible. I am looking at J rooms as most people here loved them. I don't want to pay outside rooms. I will want to be on deck and use the cabin for sleeping. I had a inside cabin many year ago on World Explorer cruise lin and has a inside room. not sure a outside room matters in Alaska. plus its a lot more money

Mary

I also went with the recommendations on this board and chose a J because so many did seem to think they were a good choice. Like you, I did not want to pay the premium for an ocean view. On our last Alaska cruise we really were only in our cabin to change and to sleep. It was nice to wake up in the morning and look out the window, but if I was going to be able to do this cruise at all and have money for excursions, I had to settle for the inside. I do think being on the lower promenade is going to be wonderful. Just a few steps and we will be outside. I have a feeling we will be hanging out there a lot. Plus, we can take a nice walk before our meals each day around the promenade. As I mentioned, I could not opt for the guarentee J cabin, because we couldn't risk being put in a forward cabin. Good luck getting your cruise booked and a cabin you like.

Mary

I saw you on the June 10 roll call. Is that the date you wish to book? If so, I only saw guarentees for the J category. That means you would not be able to select a specific cabin. HAL will assign you a cabin closer to the sailing. It could be a J or anything in a higher category. I do see some Ks available for your sailing that you can select. That was going to be our second choice category. I sure wish I had wanted to go in June this time. The prices are much better than in August.

if J's are not available and I will not have a choice, Since they will pick my cabin I would not want a bad cabin like a M. Has anyone roomed in K's. Since a lower deck is there more motion? Not happy knowing J's can be changed to what ship wants. has anyone been upgraded to a outside C

Mary

if J's are not available and I will not have a choice' date=' Since they will pick my cabin I would not want a bad cabin like a M. Has anyone roomed in K's. Since a lower deck is there more motion? Not happy knowing J's can be changed to what ship wants. has anyone been upgraded to a outside C

Mary[/quote']

I read good things about the K category. We were going to take a K if the J was not available. Actually the lower the deck and the closer to the center, the less motion you will experience.

As ships get more and more full, you start to see more guarentees. If you had booked several months ago, the Js were most likely available to pick a cabin from. However, that category is either completely booked or almost booked so the cruiseline is selling them as guarentees.

You would not get an M with a J Guarentee, because that category is lower than a J. With a guarentee you would get a J or a higher category. When you go to the HAL website and "pretend" you are going to book a cruise, you will be able to see how they list the cabin categories in order. Any category listed before the J you would not get. Any category listed after the J you could get.

People booked in inside guarentees on occasion do get upgraded to ocean views. You just never know with a guarentee. Some people love to take that chance, others do not. If we did not do so poorly at the front of the ship, I would try for a guarentee. We spend so little time in the cabin, I figure it wouldn't matter too much if the cabin was in a bad location. However, I get queasy up in the front of the ship and that is on smooth waters. I don't even want to think what I would be like in rough waters if I got a far forward cabin, and I don't want to test it on a 14 day cruise ;).

Hi

Thank you for all the advice. I just booked K 2604, for the June 10th sailing.

I d have another question. the tour agency had two plans for insurance. Any advice

thanks

you can add Mary and Dar (Darlene) to roll call.

Off to book hotel and air. I plan to arrive on Tuesday. We have a friend in Seattle so not sure how long it will be there.

I also want a hotel downtown

Mary

Hi

Thank you for all the advice. I just booked K 2604' date=' for the June 10th sailing.

I d have another question. the tour agency had two plans for insurance. Any advice

thanks

you can add Mary and Dar (Darlene) to roll call.

Off to book hotel and air. I plan to arrive on Tuesday. We have a friend in Seattle so not sure how long it will be there.

I also want a hotel downtown

Mary[/quote']

I'd check with both

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

and

http://www.squaremouth.com/

I'm leery of the all travel agency plans. They can by "protection" rather than real insurance. Also, what do you want to insure? Price paid for cruise plus air plus anything else non-refundable? Agency insurance likely only covers cruise.

You're only out of U.S. one day in Victoria, so out-of-country medical insurance isn't the priority it is on other itineraries. But, do check to see if your own health insurance covers you out of country. If one of you falls in Victoria and is injured (or anything else not life threatening) you're a half day of travel from a U.S. hospital by ferry/car rental, but would need a passport to cross the border in a car.

When my Mom broke her arm in the Detroit airport on the way to a cruise, we would have been better off driving home across the border to our own Ontario Canada hospital (time: 2 hours or less) rather than what we did: going to an ER in Detroit. But, whether it's best to get help locally or "go home" (to the U.S.) is often only obvious with 20/20 hindsight.

Archived