Muster Driil

C at Sea

On our last cruise in September, with Princess as we filed in to the Muster Drill we had to swipe our cruise cards. We are off on Oceana in Feb and wondered if they'd brought this onto P&O as well? They hadnt last year when we sailed but wondered if things had changed. Dont know what happens if you dont attend - unless you are made to walk the plank! I must admit to missing the odd few as we have been unpacking as we always go for 1st sitting and theres not much time between sailing and dinner!

On our last cruise in September, with Princess as we filed in to the Muster Drill we had to swipe our cruise cards. We are off on Oceana in Feb and wondered if they'd brought this onto P&O as well? They hadnt last year when we sailed but wondered if things had changed. Dont know what happens if you dont attend - unless you are made to walk the plank! I must admit to missing the odd few as we have been unpacking as we always go for 1st sitting and theres not much time between sailing and dinner!

We have never had our cruise cards swiped at muster on P&O. Noy even on our last cruise, returned 05/01/11.

However, muster is for a reason and I think, no matter how many cruise you have done, it is important to know where to go in an emergency.

If it was made compulsory, or checks were made, then we would have no problem with that.

We have never had our cruise cards swiped at muster on P&O. Noy even on our last cruise, returned 05/01/11.

However, muster is for a reason and I think, no matter how many cruise you have done, it is important to know where to go in an emergency.

If it was made compulsory, or checks were made, then we would have no problem with that.

It is, as a matter of maritime law, compulsory. All passengers should be exercised in the emergency drill within 24 hours of sailing.

Skipping the drill is not an option. Ever. (save in back to back cruises, providing you have attended the drill within the last 28 days)

WD

All passengers should be exercised in the emergency drill within 24 hours of sailing.

WD

Thank you, William, you've answered something I've long wondered: how long after sailing can emergency drill take place. We once went on a Fred Olsen cruise that left late so they delayed the drill until the following morning - seemed a little odd, and we were curious to know what would have happened had there been an emergency on the first night.

Mary

On Thomson ships you all have to assemble on the prom deck at your designated lifeboat station, and your cabin number is noted and ticked off on a list to show you have attended. Our cabin had an "evacuated" note on the door handle to show it had been checked and we were not in there.

P&O's muster drills are very slack affairs in comparison.

Carol x

We were on Thomson Dream in June 2010 and as usual the muster drill was the day after we sailed. The night before there was an emergency call for all crew, no-one knew what was happening, we stayed in bed and waited for the call to muster stations (we have been on 10+ cruises previously and knew the drill) My husband didn't even wake up.

The following morning when we did the actual drill you can imagine the comments made from people whom had been out on deck the night before :eek:

I am much happier having the muster drill before we sail.

Three or four years ago on Royal Carribean (Legend of the Sea) after our muster station, we were told which lifeboat to go to, and when we were there our names and cabin numbers were checked against the list a member of the crew had. On all other cruises with P&O and Princess etc. we all assembled in the muster station where the life jackets were put on. Only on Legend were we shown to our appointed lifeboat which we found to be very thorough.

On our last cruise the stewards were checking every cabin to make sure it was empty and putting a sign on the door once people had gone. I was very impressed with this (Allure of the Seas).

No muster drill seems to be the same, I can't think why you would miss it and risk not knowing the drill!

RCI - On the Allure of the Seas the muster station was the outdoor aquatheatre and the drill was shown on giant screens. The second muster on the Allure it was raining so they directed us to a nearby mexican restaurant instead. They swiped our cruise cards to check we had attended. (no lifejackets needed)

Costa - We had separate muster cards which we handed in at muster and stood like Russian dolls on the deck with the lifeboats with the tallest at the back and children at the front. The safety announcement was made in several different languages. Surprisingly we didn't do the muster drill until the end of day 2 as we picked up more passengers at Bari. (with lifejackets)

RCI - Independence of the Seas. Squashed on deck like sardines, seemed to take forever, cards scanned I think. (can't remember if we took lifejackets!)

Crown Princess - muster was inside one of the speciality restaurants. Names were take down as we arrived and we all followed the lifejacket demonstration and put our own on.

Archived