Tracy Arm vs. Glacier Bay

luv2vacation

I am considering booking a cruise to Alaska next summer and it seems most ships either to go Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay. From the pictures I have seen Tracy Arm looks spectacular. The photos of Glacier Bay are nice too but Tracy Arm looks more scenic to me. I know most people recommend Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm and I am wondering why that is the case. I must be missing something in the photos. I have never been Alaska before so this is all new to me. Can anyone point out the major differences in these two areas? I realize that Glacier Bay will have more glacier viewing but can't I see Mendenhall glacier in Juneau or is that just not the same? I appreciate any and all advise!

I have not been to Tracy Arm, but glacier bay is a MUST see. It is definitely not the same as Mendenhall glacier, as you generally don't see any calving at Mendenhall. We saw the entire face of the glacier calf while cruising in Glacier bay. I would also argue that glacier bay is very scenic with many mountains. We were fortunate enough to see bear on our way in to see the glaciers (rare, but it does happen) in addition to the beauty of being up close to three glaciers and amazing photo opportunities. We would not go to Alaska again on a cruise unless it goes to glacier bay.

We will be going to Tracy Arm this summer but have been to Glacier Bay. The scenery is unbelievably beautiful. Considering that you may not even get into Tracy Arm and that if you do, you may not make it to the glaciers at the end, Tracy Arm is a gamble. You do get into Glacier Bay amost 100% of the time. You do get to see the glacier. The scenery is so spectacular that for our return trip, we chose an itinerary that includes both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm because we want to see Glacier Bay again. Glacier Bay was the deciding factor.

I agree that Tracy Arm is the more scenic with huge waterfalls and towering cliffs. However, getting to the glaciers is the problem. Many ships never make it far enough into the fjord to see the Sawyer Glaciers because of the ice. That is what happened on our first Alaska cruise. You are almost guaranteed to get into Glacier Bay. The fjord is much wider for easier access but not as scenic as Tracy Arm, IMO. In Glacier Bay you will definately see several glaciers instead of the possibility of seeing one or two in Tracy Arm.

They are two completely different experiences. (Other than both having glaciers) Glacier Bay is a huge area with dozens of glaciers, all different types. Wildlife may be seen from the ship, but it'll be hit or miss because of the size of the bay.

Tracy Arm in one single fjord. You have a much better chance of seeing wildlife, but you will need to pay for the add-on small ship tour to see Sawyer glacier at the end and get a better look at the harbor seals on the ice floes. There's a few other glaciers seen along the way, but nothing on the scale of Glacier Bay.

I'd do both if possible. :D

I live in Juneau and I'll assure you that Mendenhall is nothing to compare to the glaciers of Glacier Bay. I'm sure there's tourists that say if you see one glacier, you've seen them all, but there are different types and the setting and size can really make a difference with the experience. Mendenhall is in retreat and what's visible is nowhere near the size of the big glaciers of Glacier Bay. However, to me, it's worth going out to Mendenhall because you're going to see the way glaciers shape the land up close, which you can't see aboard the vessel in Glacier Bay.

Never been to Alaska, then I'd say Glacier Bay.

Yes Tracy Arm with the long and narrow fjords and many falls and sheer cliffs are beautiful as is the glaciers at the end. But the chances of getting close to the glacier and falls from the ship are low. The best viewing is on the smaller excursions offered only on some sailings.

The iconic views of Alaska and glaciers are for the most port from Glacier Bay.

Having done both, I would say I could live without regret not ever seing Tracy Arm, couldnt' really say I saw Alaska if I hadn't done Glacer Bay

The two pictures show somewhat the difference at least in relation to the glacier viewing

2000_09b.jpg.2050e981c693c80943322fa14fe50e7a.jpg

1201254185_270TracyArmSawyerGlacierfromtheship.jpg.3a8a90ebb0b36e5b5c70f4db7a2a114f.jpg

Thanks for all the replies. I enjoyed the pictures of both places for comparison. Truth is the scenery looks fantastic in both places. I figured this would be a once in a lifetime trip since I usually prefer tropical vacations but the more I research Alaska the better it looks. I am willing to bet I will want to go back.

Thanks for all the replies. I enjoyed the pictures of both places for comparison. Truth is the scenery looks fantastic in both places. I figured this would be a once in a lifetime trip since I usually prefer tropical vacations but the more I research Alaska the better it looks. I am willing to bet I will want to go back.

Why not cruise on Hal out of Vancouver and go to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm on the same cruise?

Why not cruise on Hal out of Vancouver and go to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm on the same cruise?

I am actually considering this option but the added expenses of getting to Vancouver is a concern. I could just go with a window cabin and skip the balcony this trip. What do you think? A window cabin on a cruise from Vancouver that goes to both places or a balcony cabin on a cruise from Seattle that goes to only one?

I am actually considering this option but the added expenses of getting to Vancouver is a concern. I could just go with a window cabin and skip the balcony this trip. What do you think? A window cabin on a cruise from Vancouver that goes to both places or a balcony cabin on a cruise from Seattle that goes to only one?

We have been to AK on 4 cruises and had a balcony the 1st and 2nd times and a OV on the B2B. I didn't miss the balcony at all. It was too cold to just sit out there and the view is much better on deck. We have an OV for our next AK cruise - 14 day on HAL. I'd go for the OV and see both!

If beautiful scenery is your forte, get yourself to Vancouver. We were in an OV and were very happy. We just spent so little time in the cabin. We used it to change clothes and sleep. HAL ships have great viewing areas, both inside and out. The Crow's Nest Lounge is a great place for inside panoramic viewing. If you truly want a scenery vacation, get the cheaper cabin and sail out of Vancouver.

I hear the train ride from Seattle to vancouver is beautiful, if you decide on that. I was actualy considering cruising HAL to do both Tracy and Glacier bay because I have never been to Alaska and didnt know which was better. I actualy priced the train just incase that was what i decided. It was $180 for 6 of us. I ended up not going with Hal because I was nervous. read alot of bad reviews about the particular ship. Reading all the great things everyone has said about glacier bay wishing I chose a cruise that included it but i went with tracey arm. Well that will just give me an excuse to go back :)

Thanks for putting things into perspective for me. Of course the beautiful scenery is the main reason for the cruise! I am sure the balcony wouldn't be all that useful on the 1st and last days on a cruise from Seattle anyway. I am going to focus on the cruises from Vancouver. I will look into the train from Seattle from Vancouver too. Thanks again for all the help with this decision!

For what it is worth, and just my humble opinion:

The two signature experiences in Alaska are Glacier Bay and Denali. If you haven't seen them both then you get to/have to go back!

Doing one cruise to SE Alaska and calling that good enough doesn't do justice to the size and variety of the state. Multiple cruises are in order as well as land trips. Get away from the "big three" (Juneau, Ketchikan & Skagway) and see some "real" Alaska.

I'll be back for my 6th time this summer - still plenty of new things to see!

I hear the train ride from Seattle to vancouver is beautiful, if you decide on that. I was actualy considering cruising HAL to do both Tracy and Glacier bay because I have never been to Alaska and didnt know which was better. I actualy priced the train just incase that was what i decided. It was $180 for 6 of us. I ended up not going with Hal because I was nervous. read alot of bad reviews about the particular ship. Reading all the great things everyone has said about glacier bay wishing I chose a cruise that included it but i went with tracey arm. Well that will just give me an excuse to go back :)

Sorry you changed your mind on HAL. We were on the Volendam and loved it. With a destination like Alaska I feel very strongly about choosing for itinerary, not by ship.

Archived