Is the Epic really a "Titanic Flop"

Cupcrazy

One would think a travel writer looking for a cruise where he could find a quiet place to relax, attend a lecture, or visit a shipboard library would know which cruiseline/ship on which to sail. He seemed to be blaming "The Ed Sullivan Show" for having the audacity not to be "Masterpiece Theatre". Maybe he ought to spend a little time doing research on his own website.

Just read his review thanks to your link. Got off the Epic yesterday. I disagree with him. Don't worry, you will find much to like about this ship. Go with a positive attitude and you will find that much of the negative posting has been way over blown.

I don't see how the writer can claim that the Epic is a flop when, by his own admission, the ship succeeds in being what it aims to be:

"In a press release issued by NCL the day before the cruise, the Epic instead was carefully referred to as 'the world’s largest floating entertainment venue.' That it is."

It could be considered a flop based on what the writer would have preferred - i.e., a place where he can find a quiet corner to read his books. However, this isn't how the Epic is promoted.

As is always the case, if a prospective cruiser does his homework and knows what he's getting into, the Epic could very well be a perfect ship. By the same token, if the cruiser doesn't do any research whatsoever, he could very well be in for an unpleasant surprise.

I like NCL because there is so much to do, but part of that is being able to decompress when you want to, too. To people who have sailed on the Epic, could you find peace and quiet (without having to pay extra - spa passes)?

This is the first review I've read that makes this point, which seems odd since vie read lots of epic reviews.

I like NCL because there is so much to do, but part of that is being able to decompress when you want to, too. To people who have sailed on the Epic, could you find peace and quiet (without having to pay extra - spa passes)?

This is the first review I've read that makes this point, which seems odd since vie read lots of epic reviews.

Please note...this was a two day cruise, which are frenetic by nature.

PE

When I want to decompress or find peace and quiet on any cruise ship, I simply go back to my cabin.

I agree PE, but you'd still expect some quiet zones tucked away somewhere. Is it that he couldn't find them or that they don't exist. To people who have been in the normal seven day Epic cruises, were you able to find relatively quiet places. for example, on other NCL ships, the sports deck is always more quiet than the lido deck and you can usually find a good place to park, either in the shade or not. the promenade deck at certain times of the day can be good for a nap. There are also empty interior rooms like the library or card room where you can hear yourself think. frommer makes everything sound like a circus.

When I want to decompress or find peace and quiet on any cruise ship, I simply go back to my cabin.

That's great, but is that your only option on the Epic? That is all I'm asking.

I like to relax on my balcony at night but don't like to do so during the day. Just a matter of preference, not right or wrong.

I haven't sailed Epic, so I'm not sure what my opinion is worth.....but here goes anyhow.

This is why I have no interest in sailing these huge ships that are coming out like the Epic, Dream, and Oasis. I know what kind of cruise experience I prefer, which is the more quiet type. I don't want to feel like I'm on a floating Mall of America mixed with Six Flags; I want the experience of feeling like I'm at sea on ship.

Anyone who can read can clearly see that these are what these type of ships are being marketed as. If you don't do your homework first, then I can't feel sorry for you when you whine about having that type of experience.

I find it amazing that anyone going on a 1 or 2 night cruise' date=' would be surprised at the amount of activities going on, from the time the ship leaves the dock until it returns. No matter what ship you are talking about.[/color']

PE

PE.. I totally agree. While reading the review I just kept thinking.."did he realize this was a fam trip (travel industry familiarization trip)?". This wasn't for someone's vacation. They had to try to cram as much of the Epic into those two days for the travel professionals as possible. Frommer's is very respected in the travel industry, but I REALLY feel he missed the mark on this review and really felt it was unfair.

As I always say, not every cruise line or every cruise ship is a right fit for everyone. To be honest, I am not ashamed to be called a NCL Cheerleader. Even with that, I feel I am fair when I write a review about NCL or any other cruise line, hotel, etc. As much as I love NCL and RCCL, Doug and I often have discussions about how we really believe the Epic, Allure, Oasis, etc, are just too big for our tastes. We throw around the idea of booking a cruise on one just to confirm that.. LOL.

I just really believe he missed the mark on this review and I really believe he was unfair. Especially considering how important his word is in the travel industry.

EDIT: I do want to say that I do agree that the Epic was probably designed for folks who want something different than the "usual" cruise experience. I even complained to the CEO of NCL that in their publications on the Epic I never saw anyone who looked like they were over 22 years old and everyone was buff and dressed to the "nines". But just because they are not marketing the ship to my tastes doesn't make it a "Titanic" failure.

Just read this article by Arthur Frommer entitled "Norwegian Epic is a Titanic Flop". Is the Epic really that bad?

http://www.thestar.com/travel/cruising/article/837902--norwegian-epic-is-a-titanic-flop

I'm not sure what your purpose was for posting this old news as there have been hundreds of new reviews since this was released. This article is quite dated and only one person's point of view (which he is entitled to).

But coming from someone who is double booked on the Oasis, it makes me question your intent here.

I find it amazing that anyone going on a 1 or 2 night cruise' date=' would be surprised at the amount of activities going on, from the time the ship leaves the dock until it returns. No matter what ship you are talking about.[/color']

PE

I totally agree.. with people living it up.. cause well they only have 2 nts.. I would be too.

I'm not sure what your purpose was for posting this old news as there have been hundreds of new reviews since this was released. This article is quite dated and only one person's point of view (which he is entitled to).

But coming from someone who is double booked on the Oasis, it makes me question your intent here.

I can't always keep looking for more options? So what if I'm booked on the Oasis?

Just read this article by Arthur Frommer entitled "Norwegian Epic is a Titanic Flop". Is the Epic really that bad?

http://www.thestar.com/travel/cruising/article/837902--norwegian-epic-is-a-titanic-flop

I can't always keep looking for more options? So what if I'm booked on the Oasis?

Your original posts specifically asks "Is the Epic really that bad?" It does not say "I am looking to book a future cruise and considering booking the Epic."

Sure you can continue to look for other options, but using an article that is 6 months old when there are so many more recent resources seems suspect.

Arthur Frommer would never like such a ship. the article cited above is from 2010, and here is an article from 2009.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2009/04/travel-guru-arthur-frommer-im-horrified-by-what-cruise-ships-are-becoming-/65029937/1

At age 80, Frommer has lots of years on me. he likes tiny ships. OTOH, I like big ships with load of activities. while I like to read and like some quiet spaces, I can retire to my cabin if need be.

I agree that a two day cruise would be expected to be a busier, noisier cruise than a long one. people try to squeeze in as much as possible on a short cruise.

We all question everything, that is what is great about life, knowing what I know about EPIC, I am skeptical of any positive review, then after reading it, the review usually centers entertainment that people enjoy who do not have issues with smoke, you never hear anyone talk about the open spaces and beautiful views. To each their own, just remember plans for EPIC 2 were scrapped at a cost of 175 million according to reports

"Even before it emerged from the shipyard in France, it was clear the Epic was one of a kind. A plan to build Epic II was scrapped, at an estimated cost of $175 million, after new owners of Norwegian Cruise Lines shuddered at the prospect of another $500 million ship like this."

Archived