How strict is Carnival about changing rooms?

rarodg2

My whole family is going on a cruise together. There will be 3 kids under the age of 10. I was wondering how strict Carnival is about them staying in the rooms they are asigned to. I have a feeling they will be sleeping in different cabins then what they are asigned. For instance, my nephew who is booked in inside room will probably stay with me and DH in our baclony room. Will Carnival allow this or will he have to stay in his cabin? thanks for any information.

Rebecca

Part of what will complicate this right off the bat is the sail and sign key cards.

When checking into at embarkation, each passenger is issued a sail and sign card. The card is the door key to the room the passenger is booked into, as well as their means of payment for all onboard charges.

If you party starts "room swapping," I suspect you will quickly run into problems with "nephew A" needing "Cousin B's" card, since they are swapping rooms (cards cannot be programmed to open multiple cabin doors).

But that will mean "Nephew A" will be charging things to "Cousin B's cabin" if he tries to use the card (assuming some of the parents in your party want their kids to be able to make charges). Depending upon the structure your party and the variation in ages/tastes, that could become problematic (will "Uncle Bill" be happy at the end of the cruise if he finds that his nephew ran up $200 in store purchases?)

This will also create confusion when getting off and back on at ports. Unless your entire family group is planning to simultaneously leave and return, you will have problems: sail and sign cards are taken at the door both times and scanned, and matched with the file photos taken at embarkation. If "Nephew A" hands over "Cousin B's" card, security will be in your face ASAP.

We have done this before - no problems - just go to purser's desk and tell them - they will take care of it for you - i can't remember whether they issued new cards or re-programmed existing cards though.

We have done this before - no problems - just go to purser's desk and tell them - they will take care of it for you - i can't remember whether they issued new cards or re-programmed existing cards though.

What Kelly is implying sounds good if they can reprogram not just cabin access but also where account charges are placed.

Since you didn't mention which ship you will be sailing on.....

Some older ships still use the hotel-type ving card as the cabin key. If this is the case with your cruise, then there won't be a problem at all. It's completely different when using the S&S card.

It also depends on which ship you are sailing on...the older ships use a Ving card for the cabin key and a separate S&S card for purchases.

In that case, the Ving cards could be exchanged and the S&S cards would still be good only for those they were assigned to.

We will be on the Triumph. We aren't really worried about the kids getting into rooms or making charges. They will always be with one of us or in the kid program. We just were curious if they would allow them to sleep in different rooms.

We are doing a similar thing. We booked 2 rooms for my husband, me and my 3 boys. One category 12 and an inside cabin across the hall. The way it is booked, me and my 14 year old are in the inside room and my DH and little boys are in the suite. I know it will probably be me, DH and the 2 year old in the suite and the 14 year old and 5 year old across the hall. Do you guys think this is ok? I don't really care where I sleep; just want to get ready in the bigger room. KWIM? Any thoughts. Since it will be all on the same credit card, the charges and stuff are a non-issue.

Hi, we have done the same thing but carnival had no problem booking our two children in the oceanview room beside us. They are 9 and 5. We plan on one parent sleeping in with one child but carnival just booked the 2 girls together. I wish they had adjoining rooms but we are sailing on the Inspiration (quick Easter getaway) and I don't believe they have them.

The kids can sleep whereever they want. Carnival or any cruise lines wont care.. they got paid- The only concern i have is ---some cabins may only hold 2 people...there wont be another bed. Example is in your baclony cabin is it for only 2 people?? and if there is an upper bed how will the cabin steward know to make it up? Not all cabins are created equal.

Hi, we have done the same thing but carnival had no problem booking our two children in the oceanview room beside us. They are 9 and 5. We plan on one parent sleeping in with one child but carnival just booked the 2 girls together. I wish they had adjoining rooms but we are sailing on the Inspiration (quick Easter getaway) and I don't believe they have them.

Carnival no longer will book rooms that way. They will only book children in a room with an adult. Although you can sleep anywhere you want.

I guess it depends on who you book with or speak too but we most certainly do have our daughter and her friend booked in a separate cabin by themselves. They are right beside our cabin. It was booked that way. Their ages are 11 and 12.

I think Carnival may have changed the way they book minors and adults again. Just a couple of weeks ago my TA told me that Carnival will book minors in a cabin as long as parents/guardians are on the same deck. I wondered if she was correct so I checked the newest Carnival brochure and Carnival's website.

The 2005/2006 brochure says, "Guests under the age of 21 years must be accompanied by a parent, grandparent or guardian 25 years or older in the same stateroom".

The website says (look in legal notices), "Carnival shall refuse boarding to any Guest under the age of twenty-one unless: (1) the Guest is traveling in the same stateroom with an individual twenty-five years or older; (2) traveling in the same stateroom with their spouse; (3) traveling with a parent or guardian in an accompanying stateroom. Proof of age and/or proof of marriage are required. Carnival shall not be liable to make any refunds or for any damages with respect to any Guest’s failure to provide proper proof of age or marriage or otherwise comply with this provision".

But in another place on the website it said (look in travel documentation) "Guests under the age of 21 must be accompanied by a parent, grandparent or guardian 25 years or older in the same stateroom".

So anyway, I'm totally confused about what their real policy is. Seems most people on this board are agreeing with what is stated in the brochure.:confused:

Carnival no longer will book rooms that way. They will only book children in a room with an adult. Although you can sleep anywhere you want.

I just booked our cruise yesterday with Carnival directly. They put my husband and I in one room and my four kids (ages 15, 13, 10, 5) in the other. The stipulation is that the cabins MUST be either connecting, right next to each other, or directly across the hall. They just cross referenced the rooms together so Carnival is aware of the arrangements. I asked the Rep about a cabin 2 doors down and he said the adult/child per cabin rule would apply.

I just booked our cruise yesterday with Carnival directly. They put my husband and I in one room and my four kids (ages 15, 13, 10, 5) in the other. The stipulation is that the cabins MUST be either connecting, right next to each other, or directly across the hall. They just cross referenced the rooms together so Carnival is aware of the arrangements. I asked the Rep about a cabin 2 doors down and he said the adult/child per cabin rule would apply.

That is what Carnival told us too when we booked our family

Five years ago when we were on Fascination we did that- but back then you had a room key separate from the sail and sign card.

Our TA said it would be okay no big deal to switch rooms that Carnival would not care.We had me booked with my daughter's friends and my daughter and hubby booked together. My daughter and I switched. The problem was my daughter and her friend's room although it was on the upper deck with us was around the corner and not close to our room at all. We did call and check on them but the girls still got in a little trouble. An older man was stalking them and the girls said nothing because THEY KNEW we would switch my daughter and me back. This could have been disasterous for those foolish girls and Carnival would not have been liable but us. So I decided then I would never do THAT again.

We have always booked the way you suggest and they did it....

When we booked the Valor 9 months ago they WOULD NOT allow the children to be booked in another stateroom. Our rooms are side by side! the youngest child being 15.

Perhaps it has changed back to the old way recently.

I assure you I tried and they wouldn't let us!

A lot of people say on here that you can't book kids in separate cabins. But this will be our third cruise in a row that we have done just that. Maybe we just keep getting lucky.

I dont know if its a new policy, but on our Feb 6th pride cruise we had problems with this. I have always had DH booked with one and me with one and we change them at check in, or we get the sign cards changed. Carnival wouldnt do either one. :mad:

We did skippers club check in. She wanted to switch us, but said she got in trouble "last week"..... she told us to just go to the pursers desk and get the cards/keys changed...no problem....

So, went to the pursers desk. They wouldnt change DH's card to open our door, but gave him a key only card that opened it. Told us it should have been taken care of at check in.:mad: Now he had to NOT LOOSE, two cards! (not a good situation for him)

O.K. now we can both get in OUR room.

Now Daughter goes to get her key/card, changed so that it will open her door. NO CAN DO.... from the pursers desk. She then asked for just a key, like they gave Dad. Well after scolding her and telling her that this was breaking the rules and how they shouldnt be doing it, they gave her a key card for her room. (she is 20 years old, not a kid) Of course she came straight to my room, scolding ME For the situation I put her in!!:eek:

Like I said before, dont know if this is all new policy, with Carnival. I posted on the boards before we left, and as you all have said, No problem. .......

We have always done it with no problem in the past, but on other lines.

When we check in on previous cruises, the card is programed right then and there.(with a machine) On this cruise, all the cards were already programed and in a big file on a table. You gave them your cabin number and they gave you your key/card.............which I assume is why they wouldnt do the switch at check in. :confused: ( I also noticed servers wanting our "folio" number off of our card more often, like in the old days, before info was "built in" to the card) I am guessing that your first purchase, programs your credit card to your sea & sign card.

I dont know, it was all very strange to me...................:confused:

We have 4 kids and have cruised on different occassions with any number of them.

On our last cruise on the Destiny, we had adjacent rooms. Because of the triple occupancy rule, we had to book 3 in one room and 2 in the other (oldest son in college). My youngest(7) stayed in the parents room (changed rooms) and no one cared. Since the rooms were adjacent, we had the same room steward and she took care to make up the sofa bed appropriately.

Recently, I booked 2 rooms on the Fantasy, my husband, myself, 2 kids (ages 7 and 9), as well as 2 "young adults"(my 20 year old son and his friend). I had to book myself in one room and my husband in the other. I am planning on staying in the room with my husband and the two younger kids, but I was cautioned by Carnival. They told me that it was my choice where I stayed, but if anything negative should happen and they needed to find me and discovered I was actually in the other room that it would be an infringement on the rules and I would be put off at the next port. My son is a very responsible young adult and his friend, even more so. If I didn't trust them, I certainly wouldn't be taking them.

Since you are talking about a young child, I doubt that anyone would care. The charging priviledges shouldn't be a problem and I don't think that you are going to let him wander alone to where he needs his own key. I don't let my little kids carry their S & S cards themselves, they don't need them for anything except getting on and off the ship and mom and dad can keep them handy for that.

A lot of people say on here that you can't book kids in separate cabins. But this will be our third cruise in a row that we have done just that. Maybe we just keep getting lucky.

Just curious...those of you who say you were allowed to book kids in a room without an adult....how long ago did you book your cruises?

We always have booked our children in separate rooms from ours. We've done tihs our last 3 cruises with Carnival. I don't know why but we were told the policy changed and we could no longer book that way. I strongly questioned it. I wonder if it has changed back to the old way or if I was misinformed. Anyone else told within the last year that the kids had to be booked with an adult? We already have docs. I wonder if we can change this? I'm calling tomorrow. Sure would make my life easier.

We booked 3 weeks ago for a cruise that leaves in 1 week and had no problems booking our 3 kids in a cabin by themselves next to ours. This will be our third cruise with the kids and have never had a problem booking them in their own cabin. I've sat there when my travel agent makes the booking with Carnival and she just tells them that 1 cabin is for the kids and the other is for the parents. No grief from Carnival at all.

Archived