Want to snorkel, but scared of the ocean. Advice?

armywife6259

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i'm new to this site and i'm not sure how to search. Me and my husband are going on a cruise to the western caribbean in May, my first cruise his second. He would really love to go snorkeling, and I am actually very interested myself. He would really love to go scuba diving but that is awhole different thing. Anyway the problem is I am TERRIFIED of the ocean. Not the water part, I am a huge water fan and love being in the pool. But I hate not being able to see what is under me. I blame my fear also on the fact that in my 22 yrs of life I have been to the ocean once and that was when I was 20. So I had plenty of time to see all the scary ocean stuff (jaws, open water, discoverychannel). I know all this is unlikely but i just can't shake it. So my question is, what all do you see underwater? What marine life is common in Cozumel? Is it as scary as i'm making it out to be? If i'm scared would it be better to do it near the shore, or off a boat?

Thanks in advance for any info. I know most will think i'm silly, I even think its silly most the time.

Snorkeling is one of my all time favorite things to do. Someone told me there is more salt in the Caribbean and that causes you to float without even trying. I have always had vests on but wanted to take them off. It is easy to snorkel. You should see schools of fish and coral--fan, brain and many types and colors of coral. You will want to see big fish, I suspect they think we are fish too. Rather than a catamaran excusrsion, go to Chankanub Park in Cozumel-you can snorkel right off the beach. That will build your confidence. :cool:

It isn't at all as scary as you are making it out to be, especially in the Caribbean. Those big sharks like jaws etc are not anywhere near the Caribbean. The only sharks around really are small reef sharks and nurse sharks, but it is pretty rare to ever see them because if they see you they would take off as fast as they could running away from you. I actually wanted to see a shark but never did. The visibility in the Caribbean is easily 100ft, so you don't have to worry about not being able to see what is under you. With the good visibility you won't ever be close to the scaredy cat sharks even if you were to see one. For the most part you will just see small fish and coral. They are all really pretty. The majority of the marine life likes to keep their distance from you.

See if you can find a snorkel excursion with a VERY small group. Don't know what ports you are visiting, but really seek out a small group with someone who can reassure and guide you. You may find being able to see under water is helpful. Also see if you can test out a mask and snorkel in a pool before you go. Sometimes all that stuff on your face takes some getting used to!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but i'm new to this site and i'm not sure how to search. Me and my husband are going on a cruise to the western caribbean in May, my first cruise his second. He would really love to go snorkeling, and I am actually very interested myself. He would really love to go scuba diving but that is awhole different thing. Anyway the problem is I am TERRIFIED of the ocean. Not the water part, I am a huge water fan and love being in the pool. But I hate not being able to see what is under me. I blame my fear also on the fact that in my 22 yrs of life I have been to the ocean once and that was when I was 20. So I had plenty of time to see all the scary ocean stuff (jaws, open water, discoverychannel). I know all this is unlikely but i just can't shake it. So my question is, what all do you see underwater? What marine life is common in Cozumel? Is it as scary as i'm making it out to be? If i'm scared would it be better to do it near the shore, or off a boat?

Thanks in advance for any info. I know most will think i'm silly, I even think its silly most the time.

For me it makes a big difference if I have some of the newer type snorkeling equipment--there are some where the tubes automatically close if you go under water--then open when you are on the surface again--have had both the older type and the newer type--Now bring my own mask and snorkel because sometimes the operators of the tours had types I had more trouble with. The vests are very helpful--

Thanks everyone. The ocean amazes me I think it is so beautiful and I would love to see the underwater world also. We are going to cozumel and progreso..any suggestions for snorkel places? I hope I can put my fears aside and just go for it. I think it will be an awesome experience.

I second the idea of getting a mask and snorkel and using them in a pool. If you are comfortable with them, and know the fit is good and the mask doesn't leak it will make the experience more enjoyable, one less new thing to deal with. It took me a few tries before I liked it. Next I did a helmet dive, and after a few more I wanted to become SCUBA certified.

My husband didn't quite believe me at first because I did my share of whining the first few times I snorkeled.;)

What kind of snorkel equipment should I get? And where is a good place to get it? I don't want to get really expensive ones since I don't know how much I like it or how much I will do it in the future. I read someone's reply about one that closes in the water? Where can I find that one?

What kind of snorkel equipment should I get? And where is a good place to get it? I don't want to get really expensive ones since I don't know how much I like it or how much I will do it in the future. I read someone's reply about one that closes in the water? Where can I find that one?

You can get all the equipment at a dive shop. You should be able to try on many different styles of masks to see which ones fit you best (a qualified person should be helping you) The snorkels that close are a bit more money, and can be intimidating because there is a flap that comes over the top and if you breath in to hard it will close, if you know anyone one with equipment you should try it because everyone likes different things. Or ask the dive shop if you can rent some for the trip, or to try before you go. That way you will find out if it is for you.

Relax, enjoy snorkelling is amazing!

I had the exact same question before I started snorkeling and diving. I wasn't a good swimmer and was really scared of the ocean, I was even scared in the pool if it's deep. But I really wanted to experience the underwater world. So I bought my own snorkel equipment from a dive shop. They can help you with choosing the right equipment. Then I practiced in the pool. Made sure I learned how to purge my snorkel. It was pretty easy and I only needed a regular snorkel (no special valves, etc). The first time I snorkeled in the ocean, I had a vest. This gave me much confidence. New snorkelers tend to panic when water gets in their snorkel. But if you have a vest, you can easily raise your head and let the water out if you're unable to purge. Having a vest will also allow you to take a break from snorkeling (if you need to) without much effort. Once I started snorkeling, I actually forgot about my worries coz I was distracted by the beauty of the underwater scene. I then decided to get certified and has been diving ever since.

I've seen reef sharks in the Caribbean and they all didn't care about us. They either just sat there or swam away. I dove Cozumel and didn't see a shark.

Have a fun trip! :)

Added: Don't forget to let your snorkeling guide know your concerns and that you're a newbie. You can also ask your husband to hold your hand in the beginning.

Definitely practice breathing first. i always use a noodle or something for a security blanket. we just got back from western caribbean in oct. and we booked small private snorkel excursions in all the ports. we had only 4 people everywhere but grand cayman. the snorkeling was wonderful and each one was different. i would not miss it if i were you.

Armywife,

Don't feel self-conscious. Everyone was new to snorkeling once. The suggestions of getting your own stuff is spot on. We always bring our own everywhere we go. I have another idea for you. You might want to pack one of those blow-up floats. My SIL was terrified of the sea critters so she put on a mask and snorkel and laid on top of that with her head and arms in the water. It helped that there was a barrier between her and the fish. Then you also have your own float after you tire of snorkeling. I second the suggestion to go to Chankanub Park in Cozumel. I think it is now $21 to enter the park. Last time we went there, we found it very important to go to the far left end of the beach to enter the water (facing the water) as the waves pushed us to the right. Learned that the hard way. I also would avoid taking anything to feed the fish. Many people do and the fish love it but I don't think you want fish coming up to you, which they won't unless you feed them.

And finally, if you do excursions, I would book independently. The ship excursions are almost always more crowded and like the other Liz suggested, smaller would be better.

Have fun, and before you know it, you'll be getting scuba certified like the rest of us. The underwater world is addicting!

Liz in Kingwood

Great advice already on this posting. I thought I would add my two cents worth. Definitely by your own snorkel and mask, and I might even suggest fins. A dive shop is a great place to go, but you will pay top dollar. If you are not going to snorkel that often, a local sporting goods store such as "Academy" or "Sports Authority" will have some decent snorkeling packages at reasonable prices.

People have mentioned getting used to your gear before you go. This is essential, even if it means putting your gear on in the bath tub! You don't want to find out your mask leaks when you are already in the Caribbean. Also, when you first get your new mask, scrub it out on the inside several times with tooth paste. That's right, tooth paste! This cleans out some of the coatings used during manufacturing, and greatly reduce the masks tendency to fog up. Then by a defogging product specifically for masks. The old trick was to spit in your mask and rub it around, but I find the commercial products work better for me. Trust me on this one, you don't want to skip this step. Other than a mask that leaks water in to it all of the time, few things dampen the moment (pardon the pun) more than your mask fogging up continuously.

Starting out in a place where you can stand up if you want to (not on the coral though!) is always a great place to start out.

My wife started out snorkeling with me 15 years ago, and was petrified. Last year she and I were at 75 feet diving with black tip reef sharks. Just take little steps until you build your skill level and confidence!

Be Blessed,

-Mike

We have a cruise with Azamara coming up in a month and our Ports are St. John USVI, St. Martin, St. Barts, Charlestown Nevis, St. Johns Antigua and Virgin Gorda BVI.

Can anyone advise me if any of these places have a beach where we can go snorkeling where the water is shallow. I have only snorkeled a couple of times so if my feet can touch bottom I am happiest. Hope that doesn`t make me sound like too much of a wimp :o (my hubby isn`t bothered by the deeper water)

Thank you

I've always had a fear of the ocean and fish... so much so that we nearly cancelled our first cruise. Needless to say once I was on board and we started sailing it didn't bother me at all.

Whenever we would go in the sea on holiday I would always freak out if fish touched me and would never go in without my water shoes.

Last year we went to Thailand and one place we stayed was on the beach with great fish and coral, my husband convinced me to try

snorkeling

and after a few goes I was hooked. So much so I booked to go back to Thailand again last year mainly for the

snorkeling

I am in the planning stages of looking for excursions for our next cruise and want to try cruising in several places but still a bit weary of doing a

catamaran

, I don't think I could just get off a boat in the middle of the sea.

I would suggest starting from the shore and building your confidence.

One day I hope I can do a scuba dive,

that's

one of my 10 things to do before I die.

Armywife, don't be ashamed--I am certain you will find it easy and fun once you try! Great advice above.

Ladyslipper--Trunk Bay in St John VI is wonderful--including an underwater trail, complete with descriptive signs, to follow. Go to the Baths in Virgia Gorda--look up videos on Youtube

Penlan--scuba is MUCH easier than you think. On the St Kitts stop you mentioned elsewhere, Pro Divers is very good for beginners.

Armywife, don't be ashamed--I am certain you will find it easy and fun once you try! Great advice above.

Ladyslipper--Trunk Bay in St John VI is wonderful--including an underwater trail, complete with descriptive signs, to follow. Go to the Baths in Virgia Gorda--look up videos on Youtube

Penlan--scuba is MUCH easier than you think. On the St Kitts stop you mentioned elsewhere, Pro Divers is very good for beginners.

Thank you Parasailor, I will check them out.

Our Heat Pump broke down this morning, hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow. There`s snow outside and it`s cold inside:(. I am soooo ready for this cruise!

Snorkeling is amazing...but to tell you the truth, the first time we did it I was scared to death! I was crying in the water because my husband let go of my hand....now I am pushing him away and trying to see all I can. In fact, on our last cruise I was able to see a nurse shark in grand turk and it has been the highlight of snorkeling experience. I think once you try it you will be hooked...don't worry about whats there....you will be able to see everything and will be soo amazed you wont want to leave the water!! ;)

Hi

Definitely buy your own gear & try it out in the bath or, even better, in a swimming pool, that way you can practise actually swimming with it on. You could try to get travel fins, which are smaller & lighter than normal ones, but perfect for off-the-beach snorkelling.

Cozumel is ok, not brilliant, for snorkelling but Progreso has none. Even the beach is not very nice. If I were returning there, I would do one of the trips to Tulum or similar. Last time we did the tram tour round the little town, then went round again & hopped off at a bar & had a few tequilas.

Les

Definately get your own gear. The first few times I tried to snorkle with others gear the mask leaked and it was horrible. Do go to a swimming pool and practice ( a vest may help ) even some shallow dives and clearing your snorkle adds confidence. I bought small fins and cut them down even more so they fit in my carry-on. Last September I took the big plunge and learned scuba diving. Now I can't keep away from the Caribbean.

The view underwater in the caribbean is fantastic.

Great whites hate warm water. ok perfect.

Archived