Captain's Party, Past Guest Party

millerboy88

Just got off the Glory and at the fun farwell party there were lots of empty seats in the place. The past guest party was rocking this past week on the Glory!!

Sometimes even the Past Guest Party is pretty ill-attended, we were only the Conquest with god know how many Past Guest's and there were probably 200 people in our party, another one was scheduled for later in the day but still I figured there were way more past guests that that. Sometimes I think people are afraid they are going to get a time-share scam or something if they go:)

On our last 2 cruises on the Triumph, I had heard the notice of the farewell party is hidden in the newsletter and only posted once...sure enough that was the case. You don't see it again until the day it is held. The first one, hardly any people showed up as it was at the same time as a show with a very popular hypnotist...not a coincidence I think. The second one was about half full. Both times only the band was there bragging about their Chicago music and begging people to get out on the dance floor. Past guest parties were well attended, but not as crowded as before. Didn't waste our time with whatever the captain does...didn't care much for waiting in line to meet him for free drinks, much less for one buck off.

im guessing the farewell party is the last day of the cruise but typically when is the captains party? we are new to cruising so we just want to make sure we dont miss it. We will be on Fantasy next month.

It is held on the FIRST cruise Elegant night. It will be written up in the fun times....

I don't know why you are all upset that the Farewell party is not well attended. We've been to many, the music, the entertainment staff(with the CD and one time the captain) are there. All I know is it's easier to get drinks. I don't need a thousand people to be there to have a party. IMHO Lynda

It can all depend which ship and which Cruise Director as to what is offered at this particular event.

I did a back-to-back on Carnival Destiny in September, and both events were identical . . . to the minute. The entire event lasted less than a half hour, and drink service lasted for less than fifteen minutes. While sitting with my wonderful friends Tom-n-Cheryl, we got to watch as someone in the room requested a second beverage. The request was denied, just I advised I'd seen happen in the previous sailing of the b2b.

No ship officers present on either event.

As reported from numerous passengers, that ship can be a 'loose cannon' at times.

But it was still more active than the previous May on Destiny, when there were eleven total passengers present at the event, and it was completely run by the show band's trumpet player. No other ship staff present.

There is a Sailaway party but last less than 30 minutes and only involves some line dancing on the Lido deck.

Captain's Reception (Elegant Night) is where the ship's staff gathers on the Promenade or in the Atrium to greet people. $1 off drinks. The Captain's party of one hour of free drinks is history.

Past Guest Party is still going on for 5-night or longer cruises. One hour of free drinks.

Farewell Party (bean counters greatest moment) is on the last seaday from 5pm-6pm. It is poorly attended as folks are packing or getting ready for dinner. One hour of free drinks. Briefly mentioned in the Funtimes.

Dave

The farewell party is also used as a sales tool for people to book further cruises. Will not bother to attend again.

I'm about to go on my third Carnival cruise and I never knew about the farewell party... and I do check the Fun Times pretty regularly. I'm glad someone posted about it 'cause now I know to be extra alert for it... I always love free drinks (only reason I went to and will go again to the Past Guest Party) and I will probably buy another FCC anyway, since the last one I bought worked out well for us :)

I'm about to go on my third Carnival cruise and I never knew about the farewell party... and I do check the Fun Times pretty regularly. I'm glad someone posted about it 'cause now I know to be extra alert for it... I always love free drinks (only reason I went to and will go again to the Past Guest Party) and I will probably buy another FCC anyway, since the last one I bought worked out well for us :)
The farewell party is a fairly recent addition. It was added when the Captain's Party went from having free drinks to just offering a dollar off. We didn't bother going to the Captain's Party on our last cruise, but we thought the farewell party was great. I want to say it lasted 45 minutes, but I'd have to check the Funtimes to be sure. The past guest party was PACKED but we had no trouble getting plenty of drinks there either.

The farwell party and the past guest party is 45 minutes long from 5 PM till 5:45. The farwell party is the last night of the cruise. Its free drinks and all you can drink in 45 minutes. The past guest party is much better attended as its an invite only. The farwell party does not mention anything about free drinks etc. There are no cruise sales at either one like someone posted a little while back.I can not figure out why the farwell party is so terribly attended. I am pretty sure the only ones who know about it are the ones that read about it here. I had 6 or 7 drinks this year and my wife had 5 glasses of wine at the farwell party and i had 6 rum punches and a couple of glasses of champayne at the past guest party along with a few of them little snacks.I alwasy throw a dollar on the tray when they bring me drinks. It costs me 5 or 6 bucks but I have a great time and its worth it to me and they servers like the money..

.I can not figure out why the farwell party is so terribly attended.

There several reasons why it is not popular:

1) It is barely mentioned in the Funtimes, only on the back. If they wanted more people to come, it would be in the middle in a block, with a description of what it is. My sister went on her first CCL cruise and complained that there was no free cocktail party- I told her it was there, you just had to look for it.

2)People are busy packing, getting ready to get off.

The change was done to save money, people would rather have free drinks on first elegant than 14 hours before they disembark! If people really liked it, you'd see more there. Back in the days of the captains cocktail party, the prominade deck was pretty packed!

Another change I have noticed in my last three cruises since they went to this format is you can't request frozen mixed drinks, a bummer for my kids who liked to have virgin strawberry margaritas.

Was the exact same way during each of my three sailing onboard Carnival Destiny in 2010.

Froufie: if you still have your FunTimes, can you check to see if the Kids Talent Show was also still be scheduled at the same time as the Fun Farewell event?? I found that to be quite interesting, since it immediately negated those parents being able to attend the FF. :rolleyes:

Well Don - here's the low down on the 2 Destiny farewell parties - the 1st one was to be held at 5 pm on SUPER BOWL SUNDAY!!! Well you can only imagine how unattended that was. The 'show' was on at 5 pm so that the Palladium Lounge could be used for the superbowl broadcast later that evening. There was also a superbowl trivia game scheduled at 5 pm as well. (no kids talent show).

The 2nd one did not conflict with the kids talent show which I believe was held earlier in the week....however as indicated it was not 'advertised' or mentioned on the PA system or in the 'top ten' activities of the day - nor well described in the fun times....all it said was 'fun farewell' - criterion lounge, deck 5 aft.....

As well we were in port til 5 pm and as it was the last night I'm sure people were either packing or getting ready for dinner and were unaware of the event!

The farewell party is also used as a sales tool for people to book further cruises. Will not bother to attend again.

There is no sales pitch. Just drinks, band and sometimes entertainment staff. Only once (The Dream) did the captain come. But on the Dream and the Elation the Cds were there at the door to greet people for a while. They weren't there at the beginning rush nor were they there the whole time. But I did get to talk to them and tell them what a great cruise I had. Lynda

Archived