sea glass beach

sarahc78

Yesterday I was coming home from some errands and saw 7 giant deer in my neighbors yard, at 3 in the afternoon. It was startling to say the least. Then two of them reared up and started boxing each other. They were only playing I think. It lasted 10 seconds. So we followed them in the car as they walked along a ridge of wooded area all down the street in back of homes. About 6 houses down they met up with another large group. Then two more houses down we met some ladies out for a walk and they said they saw some lying down on a wall. So we kept going another house or two and there we saw 3 heads looking at us. In all, we counted 21 GIANT DEER. It was sad. I think they're cold and hungry. Over populated.

I don't live in the country. We're in a suburban neighborhood. We have a lot of trees, but not THAT many. There is a large 'forest" nearby, but not really that close to my house, about a mile away, even if they cut thru all the yards. I think there was more than we counted. They were all looking at us as we followed them. We were only about 50-100 feet from them at all times. We always see an occasional deer or coyote. Turkeys. This was so strange. Something must have woke them up, to be out in broad daylight. Probably a dog or something.

We actually had a hailstorm today, it was so cold! Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures. It looked like snow!

I was actually in Boston for a weekend in early January and didn't think it was too bad (then again, the wind wasn't blowing)! Ate at a place called Skipjacks and liked the food. Went to Legal Seafoods as well and the food was good, but I preferred the food at Skipjacks.

As for a good lunch restaurant, depends on what you are looking for? We have some great Italian places - La Trattoria and Portofino both make great food for a reasonable price and the service is very quick! Their pasta portions are huge so you could ask for 1/2 portions and still have enough to fill you up.

I also frequent a small greasy spoon-type place called The Spot Restaurant. Definitely not a tourist place. Food is good, although, I must warn you, if you order a burger, be sure to tell them you want a 'homemade' one if you decide to order one, otherwise, you'll end up with a Happy Meal sized patty in your burger. Also, the Spot is not the place to go if you are on a diet - there is nothing low fat on that menu, except a green salad! There are a few other residents that post on here that might be able to recommend some of their favourite places as well.

I've heard of Beau Evans, but I don't know him personally.

Thanks for the tips, I'll make a note. Skipjacks and Legal Seafoods are popular around here. Did you like them? I've never been to Skipjacks. I never really go into Boston for dinner. We have a Legal in Braintree but I have other places I like better. Were you here on business or pleasure?

I am thinking now, being as we are docking in Bermuda around 1:00pm on a Thursday and leaving the next day at 5:00pm, we should take the water taxi to Hamilton for the first day and then to the seaglass beach near the dockyard via bus and tour the dockyard area the next day. Don't know that we will get to St. Georges.

If we went to St. Georges from the dockyard on the first day does a ferry run to Hamilton from there or would we have to go back to the Dockyard first? I guess I really need to know if a visit to St. Georges is a must do esp. being that the wife isn't the greatest walker (and I have my moments too!) Is there plenty to do there within a walking area say 5 blocks or so?

Gene

This is just a nit pick but Bermuda does not have water taxis; they have ferries.

What you would do on the first day, would be to take the ferry (Blue Route) from the Dockyard to Hamilton. When done in Hamilton, you would take the ferry back to the Dockyard. From there, you would board the bus and ride to the sea glass beach (about 1 mile from where you are docked). There are directions and a satellite photo on page 1 of this thread.

I would say a visit to St George is recommended but when in Bermuda for such a short time, not required. SG is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I think it is a nice place to visit if you have the time and the ferry ride is a good way to see that side of island.

According to the ferry schedule I have (2010 summer), there is no direct ferry between Hamilton and SG. The ferry (Orange Route) that connects Hamilton and SG has an intermediate stop at the Dockyard and only runs 6 times per day from the Dockyard.

If you and your wife have difficulty walking, then hiring a taxi for a custom tour may be the best way to see the island

SBtS

This is just a nit pick but Bermuda does not have water taxis; they have ferries.

What you would do on the first day, would be to take the ferry (Blue Route) from the Dockyard to Hamilton. When done in Hamilton, you would take the ferry back to the Dockyard. From there, you would board the bus and ride to the sea glass beach (about 1 mile from where you are docked). There are directions and a satellite photo on page 1 of this thread.

I would say a visit to St George is recommended but when in Bermuda for such a short time, not required. SG is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I think it is a nice place to visit if you have the time and the ferry ride is a good way to see that side of island.

According to the ferry schedule I have (2010 summer), there is no direct ferry between Hamilton and SG. The ferry (Orange Route) that connects Hamilton and SG has an intermediate stop at the Dockyard and only runs 6 times per day from the Dockyard.

If you and your wife have difficulty walking, then hiring a taxi for a custom tour may be the best way to see the island

SBtS

I am ashamed to say this but I have been telling other people that same thing. Oh St George isnt necissary... however I just want it all to myself when we are there lol ;)

There is a beach at the other end of Bermuda near St Georges where we've gotten sea glass before. I think it's something like Battery or Artillery Beach? You have to climb over a cement wall and around a cliff and the glass gathers in a cave there. Anyone remember what the name of that beach is?

There is a beach at the other end of Bermuda near St Georges where we've gotten sea glass before. I think it's something like Battery or Artillery Beach? You have to climb over a cement wall and around a cliff and the glass gathers in a cave there. Anyone remember what the name of that beach is?

Alexandra Battery. The problem I found there was it is best to go during low tide and the glass is not anywhere near as plentiful as it is at the glass beach near Dockyard.

SBtS

You always have good itinerary plans! I look forward to reading them!

• 1 month later...
Exactly:D. I'm sure most sea side localities think the same way. Especially those with a huge, depended on, tourist industry.

In Bermuda, as long as there's a "Sea Glass Beach"...and as long as the glass is dumped, the people will collect it.

And no one will ever convince me if I throw a bottle off the side of a boat in Bermuda, it will end up on Sea Glass Beach.

Our Bermuda resident Sousak's opinion is that sea glass beach is covered due to littering. But my opinion is that everyone doesn't go there and dump their bottles. I know I never would. I can't imagine many residents or tourists would bother to walk over there to smash their beer bottles. By the tons. I think the government has something to do with sea glass beach. The amounts are constantly replenished.

For instance, even the Goslings Black Rum which we buy here at home, is made and bottled in Kentucky and imported to Bermuda. Bermuda isn't large enough to support the production.

travelloverontario: YES there is a Santa! :)And no matter what, the sea glass will be pretty :)

Stones, glass, wood, shells..anything left in the surf long enough gets worn away. Everyone knows that. Rocks are the best!! (One thing you WONT find in Bermuda!)

I've found some really nice coral pieces though. i brought home some beautiful pieces from a big pile in back of the Commissioner's House, of all places. Beautiful. It was from a hole they dug. Its so awesome and I like to think about all the people who walked there through out all the years. Especially up there. Lots of history.

I must answer a few of your points here-Bermuda does not dump glass into the ocean to make sea glass for tourists--how preposterous is that? They are very hard at work trying to preserve the coral and reefs around the islands!

As for people not dumping--I guess you don't think cruise ships have ever been caught dumping their waste in port either! People do dump--its sad but true.

There are rocks on the sea glass beaches as well, and some very interesting, obviously VERY OLD bits of pottery and china--I found plenty.

True story--and I really don't care if you beleive it or not--I spent all my summers in Bermuda as a child and my cousins lived right near one of the so called sea glass beaches--my cousin lost her birthstone ring swimming at the beach. She was devastated. A year later she actually found that ring on that beach--it was pretty scratched up but it was definitely her ring. The ocean and tides move in mysterious ways.

There is less and less blue sea glass--and I cannot even remember how long ago milk of magnesia and vcks started coming in plastic rather than glass--so where are the bits of blue still found coming from??

Goslings Rum was originally made in Bermuda.

And by the way--it is illegal to take pieces of coral from Bermuda's waters. Please don't.

• 4 weeks later...

We just came back from our 5 day cruise to Bermuda and used the directions I found posted here on cruise critic. We had a great time strolling from where the bus let us off and locating the patio and steps down to the beach and sea glass. The directions were right on! Lots of brown/amber, different shades of green and clear. It was an excursion that only cost us $10.00 for our bus tokens as we decided not to walk it. (my husband just had two knees replaced in October 2010 so walking that distance was not the best choice this time). Nice find!!! thanks for the info and directions.

• 1 year later...
Here are the directions to get to sea glass beach near the Dockyard posted by CC member White Rabbit on 10/23/09:

There is a nice sea glass beach near the dockyards. It is about one quarter mile outside of the main gate, so if you are on the bus to Hamilton, you will want to get off soon after leaving the dockyards. Politely ask the bus driver to stop at the Military Cemetery. You will see a church, and directly across the road some apartments. Walk between the apartments to a path in back and then walk to your right about 100 feet or so. You will see a patio with embedded sea glass and a set of steps leading down to a small beach. It appears to be a private patio and beach, however I have been there and it seems everyone uses this entrance. You will find pleanty of sea glass, mostly green, brown and white. When you collect all you can carry, ascend the steps carefully, and wait at the blue pole (bus stop) for a return bus to the Dockyards. Buses run about every 20 minutes. Stand close to the pole, but off of the road way and when you see a bus, hold up your hand, as buses often miss seeing people waiting at this stop as they round a curve. Good Luck and Happy sea glass hunting. Hopefully you purchased a bus pass, otherwise you will need exact bus coins.

The distance from the Dockyard is just about 1 mile which you could walk but I would suggest that you take the bus instead. There are no sidewalks or breakdown lanes to walk on, and the roads are very narrow. Take the bus, you can carry more sea glass that way.

Here is a detailed satellite photo of the area in directions above:

SeaGlass.jpg?t=1296503598

SBtS

I just used these directions in June! Great job.. got me there with no problems. I know this post is old...but thank you to the person who posted it!

Archived