Help with cabin choice on Emerald please.

vinoblanco

I am looking way ahead to next New Year and the Emerald 10 day cruise suits our work commitments. Question is, we want a balcony or mini suite, but it must have glass, not solid as our balcony on our last cruise, on HAL Noordam was solid. We didn't realise when we booked it and were so disappointed, when sitting down, you couldn't see the ocean. Also, and please excuse my lack of the correct terminology but have only had 3 cruises, so here goes. When standing on the ship and looking towards the front, which side gets the best sunsets in the Carribean? Right or left. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Oh, one more thing, what is the policy re bringing wine on board on the Princess Line, ideally, to drink on your balcony whilst watching the sun set.

The largest balconies for std balcony cabin are cat. BB & BA on caribe deck. Mini's are located on emerald deck cat AD, there are not many of them and they go fast because they are completely covered. All other mini's are uncovered and can be seen by those above. Some folks love them because it's great for sunbathing.

Sunsets can be seen on either side depending on the direction you are going. :) Princess has no problem with bringing wine, soda, water. You will be charged a corkage fee if you bring your own wine to the dining room. Emerald Princess is a beautiful ship, I think you will really enjoy her.

Caribe deck balconies are worth the extra cost, IMO. I especially like the aftward ones ... back in the 700s. They're close to the aft elevators, and it's quiet back there with not much foot traffic beyond the passengers in the cabins in that area.

We were just on the Emerald and had a mid ship Caribe Balcony and it was great, the best cabin we had so far. The balconies are half covered and half open with 2 chairs, a table and 2 loungers. We always bring a few bottles of wine onboard and pick up a couple more in each port, just make sure you bring a corkscrew. You can call room service and they will you wine glasses.

Hi there. I'm going to have to recommend an aft balcony. We love the aft (rear facing) and will not go with anything else. We love seeing the wake of the ship. It is so peaceful. I've included a link to a thread (at the bottom) that was put together by a very generous person. It will be so helpful if you should be interested in an aft balcony. I don't think it specifically shows the Emerald Princess, but it definitely shows the Crown which is a sister ship and therefore the deck plans will be the same. It tells which staterooms have balconies with things such as beams, vents, etc. that might not be so good to have. It also tells which are the most desirable. We sailed the Emerald Princess over Thanksgiving and did the 10-day itinerary which stopped at Aruba, Curacao, Dominca, Grenada, St. Thomas and Princess Cayes. We loved the ship as well as the itinerary. This April we're doing the Emerald Princess 10-day itinerary which stops at Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, St. Kitts, St. Thomas and Princess Cayes. We can hardly wait. We were in B755 which is on the Baja deck. We're booked in the exact same stateroom again because it was just perfect for us. It is a BB category. It didn't have any problems such as sound from below or up above. It was partially covered so no one could look down on you from above and you had sun part of the day so you could work on your tan too. You don't have to worry about seeing the beautiful ocean when sitting down because it is plexi-glass and the railing is the only portion that is solid. As far as sunsets in the Caribbean, if you're heading south (first half of cruise), the west and, therefore, the sunset, will be starboard (right) and on the way back the sunset will be port (left). You can remember that port is left because both words have four letters. Now you'll never forget ;). Of course, if you have the aft, you get to see everything from both sides. And it is really great when you're leaving ports because you get the full view behind you. We had some of the best sunsets we've ever seen when we were leaving Dominica and heading to Grenada because we were heading east and therefore, the sunset was directly straight behind us. It was just gorgeous. And finally, Princess does allow you to bring on wine, soda, bottled water, etc. I'm not sure if that goes for liquor or beer. But, there is only a fee on the wine if you decide you want to take it to the dining room, (then there is a $15 corkage fee). We always bring 12 packs of soda for both of us. We just print out extra luggage tags and attach them right on the outside of the box. They will just deliver them straight to your stateroom along with your other luggage. I hope this helps you. You won't go wrong with the Emerald Princess. She is absolutely beautiful and really classy. We've only been on 3 cruises so far (NCL Dawn & Carnival Legend were the other two), but she was definitely our favorite. The crew is incredible. If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask. Someone on here will know the answer. Enjoy!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=808951&highlight=hopefully+ultimate+aft

Attached is a photo of a Caribe deck balcony on the star. You will have different furniture but you have a good view of the balcony railings that are on the Emerald. You will have great views while seated and you will have great views of sunrises and sunsets during your cruise -whether in a port side or starboard side balcony.

1700683316_CaribeDeckBalconyFurnitureStarPrincess.jpg.66d12c4fbf2fd4159201763afdc2abb6.jpg

1119872775_SunsetThroughBalconyRailing.jpg.0b66a5f78406335bb72022075f36bd24.jpg

Have now booked and have cabin number B755 on Baha Deck! Thanks again. It was the last aft facing cabin, (so they told me). It's amazing how many people book up early for New Year.

Congratulations!! It may have been the last cabin available on the aft, but by no means should that be any reflection on the cabin or the balcony. Like I said before, that's exactly the cabin my husband and I had over Thanksgiving and we just loved it so much that we came home and booked our April cruise in the exact same cabin. There are no beams or vents or anything bad with it. You'll love the aft. The wake is just so incredible.

Archived