Fashion do's and don't's for guys

FmrMarine

There are plenty of threads to help the ladies look their best. In the interest of equal time I would like to see some do's and dont's for the guys. Lord knows we need the help. I'll get it started.

1. Just say no to jean shorts.

2. No socks with sandals -- ever.

3. Crocs are for babies at the beach and ladies gardening.

4. Put a little styling product in that hair for Pete's sake.

5. No-show lowcut socks are the ticket.

6. Your board shorts should have velcro closures -- not your shoes.

7. It takes a very special man to pull of a speedo. Most of us are not that special, so steer clear.

Alright, who else has some help for the men?

If you must wear a T shirt, make sure it fits. T shirts stretched to their max over a large belly is not the greatest look. Manufacturers do sell larger sized and if you cannot find it in your size, skip that shirt and find one that does fit.

I will add that I don't stand there looking down my nose at people and this T shirt thing isn't just on cruise ships. I see it all the time. And it goes for the ladies as well...just buy clothes that fit and aren't stretched to the max with seams ready to rip open. I guarantee you will look so much better, even slimmer.

OK, what's wrong with jean shorts??? I understand, no shorty shorts, but I like a nice fitting pair of jean shorts!

I will add, I do not want to see your underwear hanging out of your pants. They are called UNDERwear for a reason:D!

I'm guessing the no jean shorts is directed at men. I wear them' date=' and love them - I am a woman.[/quote']

Sorry, that is what I mean't, on a man. I have no problem with a guy wearing a properly fitting pair of jean shorts.

The only fashion do you need? Let your woman dress you.

Seriously? Do you also have to cut up his meat for him at the dinner table?;):p:rolleyes: (these are kidding you joke-y faces)

I'd be happy to have some of the wonderful ladies of this board "dress me" - as I'd probably end up looking quite dashing;

but there are several other ladies who I'd be scurred to let "dress me", as I'd probably end up embarrassed to be seen in public!:eek:

So I certainly don't think that is good advice for all men, as just because someone is a female - doesn't mean they have any good fashion sense.

I can dress myself fine, thank you very much, just as a multitude of other grown up men can as well...:D

So onto that, here's some good general Men's Fashion for the OP:

Packing a suit in a suitcase or carry-on

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=790622

Ideas to get the most "wear" out of your suit for Young Men:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=773735

General suit buying info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=409661

This a a good site if you are interested in the margin of "super classic only" old school tuxedo wear:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/

(it's limitation is in any awareness of truly young or modern)

My best advice to men is to learn what colors look best on their overall skin, hair, and eye tones - and build a wardrobe around that.

Once you can learn that about yourself, then your entire wardrobe will be complimentary, and it's a breeze to pack your suitcase with an entire mix and match complimentary week or two.:)

Well Curt, you obviously have yet to meet my boyfriend. And you claim to be "kidding" about cutting his meat for him, sometimes I think I need to feed him because he has a hard time getting through a meal without any stains. It became a joke on our cruise, how soon into the meal will he spill something or drop something on himself. Hmm... maybe I should buy him a bib for Valentine's Day......

But can I add in my own tip for the guys? If you're going to wear sandals, make sure your toes look nice please. I don't want to see any skanky fungus-y man feet. I'm not saying go full out and get a pedicure, but you can trim your toe nails and wash the fuzz out from between your toes. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Yes. I was referring to jean shorts on guys. It's not a look I care for, but if it floats your boat -- go for it! Now jean shorts on a woman... that's a different story. They can be very sexy if they are the short variety particularly when worn over a bikini bottom. I like it when my wife goes with this look when heading to the beach. I strongly agree with the poster who advised guys to wear clothes that fit -- don't go too big or too small.

But can I add in my own tip for the guys? If you're going to wear sandals, make sure your toes look nice please. I don't want to see any skanky fungus-y man feet. I'm not saying go full out and get a pedicure, but you can trim your toe nails and wash the fuzz out from between your toes. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

OMG...I SOOOO agree!

Well Curt, you obviously have yet to meet my boyfriend. And you claim to be "kidding" about cutting his meat for him, sometimes I think I need to feed him because he has a hard time getting through a meal without any stains. It became a joke on our cruise, how soon into the meal will he spill something or drop something on himself. Hmm... maybe I should buy him a bib for Valentine's Day......

Soozles, you're cracking me up here!:D

How's this one - and he could wear in on the cruise!

--90000--88043_product_2030556973_thumb_large.jpg

Works for formal night!

That's a good tip for some ladies I've seen on cruises as well...

And here's the best Man-ly Man Pedicure, for those men who won't do anything without standard household tools...

Add this to some hot water in a bucket:

11966354.jpg

Soak your feet for 10 minutes.

Scrub them off with this:

12307_300.jpg

Cut your toenails straight across (not rounded, as that can lead to ingrown toenails).

Dry them off.

Voila. Man-ly Man Pedicure.:cool:

My tips for guys would be:

grooming counts; make sure you have a good haircut, a clean shave & pay attention to your hands & feet.

make sure your clothes fit properly, & stick with the classics

just as no woman should be caught in "mom" jeans, please guys; don't wear "dad jeans"

clothing should be made from either: cotton, linen, wool, silk, cashmere If the material was produced in a lab it doesn't belong on your body (unless it's for a sport or physical activity, then performance fabrics are acceptable.) (that goes for woman, too)

Sorry, that is what I mean't, on a man. I have no problem with a guy wearing a properly fitting pair of jean shorts.

Sorry jean shorts on a man is just not good anymore when i think of jean shorts on a man i either see a trendy hipster with torn jorts or an old man with white velcro shoes...so i guess if he wants either of those looks...go for it. This also goes for pleated kahki shorts or pants...YUCK...pleats are no ones friend.

http://www.maurilioamorim.com/2010/09/fashion-friday-dilemma-pleats-or-no-pleats/

They just aren't in style, right now. Jean shorts on little boys are okay, but grown men.... usually just look ridiculous. Khaki shorts, cargo or tailored, are the way to go.My guy tip is to know whether or not you need an undershirt and what type of undershirt. If you're a hairy dude or a bigger dude, you should wear a crew-neck tee under your polo shirt. If you sweat a lot underneath your arms, wear an undershirt with short sleeves under everything (even tee-shirts... if you're going to sweat no matter what, an extra layer to prevent the sweat from soaking your overshirt is worth the degree or two of extra heat). If your back or chest/stomach sweats but not really your armpits, then you can probably get away with the "wife-beater." Understand your body type.... underwear is important for guys, too!

Sorry jean shorts on a man is just not good anymore...its an old man look, when i think of jean shorts on a man i either see a trendy hipster with torn jorts or an old man with white velcro shoes...so i guess if he wants either of those looks...go for it. This also goes for pleated kahki shorts...YUCK...pleats are no ones friend.

Well, I guess we will have to agree to just disagree. My husband occasionally wears them, and IMHO, he looks just fine;)!

I told my Dh that if he wants to wear a tank top, then he is waxing some overly hairy places, hairy shoulders, back =yuk.

He is being a good sport and is actually kind of excited to wax.

So come on guys, if you have wild hairs sprouting out of places like the tops of your shoulders or above your bathing suit waist band, then please for the love of all things holy , wax.

OK, what's wrong with jean shorts??? I understand, no shorty shorts, but I like a nice fitting pair of jean shorts!

I will add, I do not want to see your underwear hanging out of your pants. They are called UNDERwear for a reason:D!

Nothing..there is nothing wrong with jean shorts. My son wears them (is in his 20s) and they look just fine.

The only fashion do you need? Let your woman dress you. That's the only way I got my boyfriend to look presentable on our last cruise. If it were up to him, he would have gone out all sorts of mismatched.

I tried to convince DH to let me pick out his clothes one time, and he agreed as long as he could pick out some of mine. That back-fired on me real quick when I realized he'd done most of his shopping on hoochie-mama.com:eek:. So now I let him wear whatever he wants and I don't complain:D:D.

But my two cents -

Guys, just say NO to the fanny pack.:p

It's been funny reading some of the responses :)

I pick out my husbands clothes, but mainly because he hates to go shopping and I'm already at the mall on Saturday afternoons (part time job there). Most of the time he puts it together well, but there are times :o

I do agree with the good grooming issues. I never have to think about it with my husband...he's been a barber for almost 35 years and I never have to see unkempt hair anywhere on him. My thoughts when I see sloppy hair on men (I did not say long, I said sloppy) is lazy and cheap. Long hair can look great if well cut, not just in a pony tail that hasn't been trimmed in say 1-10 years.

If you are wearing socks with shorts - white socks only please, absolutely no black socks with sneakers.

And NEVER wear socks with sandals.

I have to disagree if the inside of the sneaker is black you should wear black socks if its white wear white socks, and if its another color wear white or grey, and always wear no shows if you are wearing shorts...maybe 3/4 but thats pushing it, but NEVER calf lengh..and of course never wear socks with sandals.

Archived