Luau's in Hawaii-Between the Old Lahaina and Smith Family Luau

pookiesue

I am going on the Pride of America in October and was wanting to go to a Luau. I can't decide between the "Smith Family Luau" in Kauai or the "Old Lahaina Luau" in Lahaina, Maui. I also want to do the "Road to Hana" and not sure if there is enough time to fit the Luau in since it starts at 5:00. We do have another day and wasn't sure if we would be back to port before the ship left if we waited to do the "Road to Hana" on the 2nd day. That is why I had thought of doing the Luau in Kauai to give us more time to do the things in Maui. I have heard that the "Old Lahaina Luau" is the best. Any thoughts. Thank you.

Susan

We have been to both, and others, and the OLL is the best; much better than Smith's. One thing though, the OLL does NOT have fire dancers and that is a big turn-off for many. Nearly all others that I know of, including Smith's, do have fire dancers.

Our plan is to do the OLL on day 1 and RTH on day 2 in late March. This because we do not want to do the full RTH loop. If you wanted to do that you would not have enough time on day 2. Our plan is to start as early as possible, go straight to Hana & then do our stops on the way back. This way we can better judge how much time to spend at each of the stops on our way back.

Our plan is to do the OLL on day 1 and RTH on day 2 in late March. This because we do not want to do the full RTH loop. If you wanted to do that you would not have enough time on day 2. Our plan is to start as early as possible, go straight to Hana & then do our stops on the way back. This way we can better judge how much time to spend at each of the stops on our way back.

I would personally recommend that you do the RTH R/T instead of the u-turn route you are considering. Remember that go will want to drive at least to The Seven Sacred Pools, which is a few miles beyond Hana.

The "backside" (for a lack of a better term) of the RTH is very interesting and not a difficult drive at all (much easier than the front side IMO). The first time I made the R/T drive (~25 years ago) the backside of the road was not even on the map and it was not a bad drive at all (we were just concerned that it would end and we would have to drive all the way back through Hana).

The backside drive has some unforgettable views, plus it will take you up in to wine country (you may want to stop at the winery and sample some;)). I highly recommend a R/T vs. a u-turn trip.

We are booked with the Smith Family Luau instead of the OLL due to family plans on Day 1 in Maui. I have read many excellent reviews on the Smith Family Luau. I would do the OLL if we have another opportunity to visit in Maui for sure. Also, some of our party do want to see the fire dancers and would be disappointed if they were not included. I will be happy to report back our opinion of the Smith Luau upon our return in May.

I would personally recommend that you do the RTH R/T instead of the u-turn route you are considering. Remember that go will want to drive at least to The Seven Sacred Pools, which is a few miles beyond Hana.

The "backside" (for a lack of a better term) of the RTH is very interesting and not a difficult drive at all (much easier than the front side IMO). The first time I made the R/T drive (~25 years ago) the backside of the road was not even on the map and it was not a bad drive at all (we were just concerned that it would end and we would have to drive all the way back through Hana).

The backside drive has some unforgettable views, plus it will take you up in to wine country (you may want to stop at the winery and sample some;)). I highly recommend a R/T vs. a u-turn trip.

Thank you for your thoughts. I can assure you I have no desire to do the full loop.:eek: Whether we drive straight to Hana & then do our stops on the way back or just do the stops on the way there and drive straight back, we will only be going as far as Hana. I have read some posts here that have indicated after several hours on the RTH they had enough and were ready to turn back before even reaching Hana. For all I know this might be how we feel and I do not want to spend 9-12 hrs doing a full loop.

Similar to GypRasc, we did Old Lahainia Luau on the first day in Maui and RTH the second day with Temptation Tours. We didn't do the full loop but that was fine with us. You can read about both days on my blog:

Maui Day 1 w/photos & videos of Old Lahaina Luau

http://moonprincess.com/travel/543/

Maui Day 2 of Road to Hana (sorry, no photos yet!)

http://moonprincess.com/travel/549/

We also loved Smith Family Luau. The botanical gardens are beautiful. They had 6 buffet lines so there was very little waiting in line. The entertainment during dinner was very good.

My kids even tried the poi. We thought the food was quite good. The show was OK. The volcano was cool, and the show was typical. The setting was truly fantastic. We had a great family outing- my kids still talk about it.

If OLL is better,wow, it's hard to imagine, but if you want to go to Smith's because it works with your schedule -don't be afraid.

Here are my photos:

We are planning on doing the Smith Family Luau, with either NCL or Roberts, can anyone let me know which would be better out of the two, due to bus sizes, who has better seating allocations, any other advise or info would be great, I don't think there is much difference in pricing.

We are planning on doing the Smith Family Luau, with either NCL or Roberts, can anyone let me know which would be better out of the two, due to bus sizes, who has better seating allocations, any other advise or info would be great, I don't think there is much difference in pricing.

NCL does not do the Smith Family Luau. They do their own luau. I understand it is a much bigger crowd than Smith's - and more expensive. We are looking forward to Smith's in May!

Smith's is about a 15-20 min drive. They will come and pick you up.

Thanks. I like the idea of getting picked up too.

I looked at the pictures too. I think Smiths is going to get my vote. It is cheaper, they have the fire and they pick you up.

I had also wondered what to do at night in Kauai that would solve that.

Just wanted to say that even though we went to OLL, Smith's sounds like a great luau too. I don't think anyone would go wrong either way. Just please don't go to NCL's luau. We got back to the port at the same time as they did and it was just bus after bus of people. Waaaay too many people. The reviews I've read say it's very big, impersonal, and you feel like you're in a cattle call.

Archived