Butchart Gardens tour

mmpadp

Has anyone done a tour of Butchart gardens independently from the cruise excursion? I've been goggling and not having much luck finding a company that picks you up at the dock. We will be on Carnival Spirit, docking in Victoria on Monday evening June 13th. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

CVS Cruise Victoria who operates the shuttle from the pier do operate out to Butchart Gardens. However as they can't be seen as competing with the cruise lines you have to take the shuttle into town, change buses and then purchase another ticket for a round trip to the gardens. On the return trip they will drop you off at the cruise terminal. Here is a link for your convenience.

http://cvscruisevictoria.com/

$48 isn't a bad deal considering that's the entrance included as well ($29), and the gardens are a good distance out of town. Add another $7 for the shuttle into downtown (or walk it, it's about a mile)

If you have the time, the city bus system goes from outside the cruise terminal (you don't even have to cross the street!), one change of buses to Butchart Gardens for $2.50 each way. It takes a little longer, but isn't really complicated. http://bctransit.com/regions/vic/

We stayed in Victoria for a long weekend last summer and loved visiting the gardens. We booked through CVS and they pick up at multiple hotels including The Empress, which is the large, famous hotel right in the middle of downtown. It's only like a 15 minute walk to the Empress hotel, so I don't think I would pay to take a bus there. I would recommend buying the $48 tickets through the CVS website, the regular admission is around $38 and are never discounted. We were able to be picked up on a nice charter bus from the hotel stated on the online form and taken straight to the gardens. I know taxis cost a lot to drive out there, I believe it's a 30 minute drive. The buses leave often and you shouldn't have to worry about getting a spot coming back into town.

It's the thing to do in the city and is absolutely worth seeing. If you are there when they do the evening fireworks, make a point to see that. It was the best fireworks show I've ever seen and it just so happened to be the 4th of July.

http://www.cvscruisevictoria.com/schedules_butchart.html

The evening fireworks are on Saturdays at dusk. As Starlit said, well worth it if you have the opportunity. Be aware that the fireworks are popular with visitors and locals alike; people take a picnic dinner and start camping on or saving the best viewing spots hours beforehand.

Starlit must be pretty fit. For most people, the downtown hotels (including the Empress) would be closer to a half hour's walk from the ships.

Butchart is, locally, in the middle of nowhere and you'd want to be sure of your return transport if you make an independent evening trip

I would be very hesitant to go to the Gardens on fireworks evenings when you have a ship to be back on. The only way I would do it would be on a ship's tour; and you won't get to stay until the end of the firework display as you will have to be back onboard 30 minutes prior to sailing and it can take a long time to get out of the Gardens on fireworks night.

Just re-read the original post and see that you are going to be there on a Monday, so talk about fireworks doesn't apply. However, others might be coming on Saturdays so I'll leave my comments in. Take Putterdude's advice and use the CVS Cruise Victoria option.

Archived