Gluten Free Cruising, any beer advice?

Dee777

Good day to you all!

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. I am on a strict gluten free diet, which I can live with. Sadly (or not!) the only thing I am missing is a beer... and from reading prior threads and their associated posts I understand that I may be able to get a note from the doctor and bring on a dozen of gluten free beer when we cruise the Eastern Caribbean on the Glory on the 13th of this month. I, of course, will be calling Carnival to confirm this. I would be willing to wager they do not sell gluten free beer on board.

My question to those of you who know is this: What is a GOOD brand of gluten free beer that will be available to purchase in Miami? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Have a great day!

Good day to you all!

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. I am on a strict gluten free diet, which I can live with. Sadly (or not!) the only thing I am missing is a beer... and from reading prior threads and their associated posts I understand that I may be able to get a note from the doctor and bring on a dozen of gluten free beer when we cruise the Eastern Caribbean on the Glory on the 13th of this month. I, of course, will be calling Carnival to confirm this. I would be willing to wager they do not sell gluten free beer on board.

My question to those of you who know is this: What is a GOOD brand of gluten free beer that will be available to purchase in Miami? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide. Have a great day!

Most Gluten free beers are micro brews. Small market. Bard's Tale out of Minneapolis makes a Dragon's Gold Lager that is gluten free, but may not be available in Miami. Likewise with New Grist out of Milwaukee. Some PUblixs in Florida carry the Quebec Les Bieres de Nouvelle la Massagerie (?) but these come in 650ml bottles @ $7+ each. Bud makes a Redbridge gluten free beer that is carried around the country. It tastes like grassy water (its from sorghum as are most gluten free beers) and has little or no head. I do not think it is carried on Carnival as yet (wasn't on the Dream in May).

Very doubtful you'll find any of these in any bar/resort in any foreign port.

As far as trying to bring gluten free beer on board when you embark, you'll be SOL. In Miami, and other ports, they do constatnly check checked luggage and will confiscate any beer or other alocohol in your checked bags, which you may or may not get back on the final night of the cruise. Doctor's note carries no weight here. If its in your carry on, they will confiscate it and you may have the option of putting it back in your car, if you drove down and parked at the port. But most likely you'll wave it good by at the screening table.

I read on here that someone did get a dr's note and talked to carnival before the cruise and was told it was ok to bring on the beer. My fiance is gluten free, my advice to you would be to try the gf beer and see if you like it before you go through all the trouble of bringing it onboard. The beers I have tasted are definitely an acquired taste.

I read on here that someone did get a dr's note and talked to carnival before the cruise and was told it was ok to bring on the beer. My fiance is gluten free, my advice to you would be to try the gf beer and see if you like it before you go through all the trouble of bringing it onboard. The beers I have tasted are definitely an acquired taste.

We must have read the same post lol I too read that someone had gotten a note from their doctor regarding the gluten free diet. This is why I was going to call Carnival first to make sure this would work before attempting to bring any with me. I can well imagine that it won't be anywhere near as tasty as what I am used to for beer, and am wondering if I really want to acquire that new taste or might just stick with the hard stuff :D

Thank you!

Most Gluten free beers are micro brews. Small market. Bard's Tale out of Minneapolis makes a Dragon's Gold Lager that is gluten free, but may not be available in Miami. Likewise with New Grist out of Milwaukee. Some PUblixs in Florida carry the Quebec Les Bieres de Nouvelle la Massagerie (?) but these come in 650ml bottles @ $7+ each. Bud makes a Redbridge gluten free beer that is carried around the country. It tastes like grassy water (its from sorghum as are most gluten free beers) and has little or no head. I do not think it is carried on Carnival as yet (wasn't on the Dream in May).

Very doubtful you'll find any of these in any bar/resort in any foreign port.

As far as trying to bring gluten free beer on board when you embark, you'll be SOL. In Miami, and other ports, they do constatnly check checked luggage and will confiscate any beer or other alocohol in your checked bags, which you may or may not get back on the final night of the cruise. Doctor's note carries no weight here. If its in your carry on, they will confiscate it and you may have the option of putting it back in your car, if you drove down and parked at the port. But most likely you'll wave it good by at the screening table.

Thank you for your information, it was most helpful to me! Grassy water? Hmmmm.... Well perhaps I can find a place somewhere I can try one or two and see what the gag reflex is on them LOL Thank you again! :)

A quick check on brewery sites show that Bard's tale isn't available in Miami. But is up iin West Palm Beach. Likewise New Grist is available at Tree of Life in Fort Lauderdale, but not Miami.

Thanks so much for the research, it is much appreciated!

My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac's when she was 4 (shes 23 now). At a recent beer fest she discovered hard apple ciders. They come in quite a few different flavors. Of course it will be very different than beer but she thinks its a great substitiute. It comes in 6 packs just like beer. Whether or not you can get it onboard is doubtful, but it may be something you like to drink at home.

BTW...Carnival does an amazing job with a gluten-free diet. You will not go hungry and will always have choices.

Redbridge is the only Gluten-free brew available nationwide and will be the easiest to find in Miami. It really isn't bad. It has more flavor and head than the typical mass-produced American swill brew like Bud, Miller Light, Coors et al.

Reading the beer websites it looks like Canada has many more choices in Gluten-free that here in the USA so that's good for you except on your cruise. If you can find Redbridge, give it a try. Hopefully it will work for you on Carnival.

• 1 month later...

I drink Redbridge and personally like it. But, that could be because I haven't had anything else in quite some time. :p My experience with Carnival was this...I emailed the special needs department requesting permission to bring some gluten free beer on board with me. They emailed me back and stated that if I brought the doctor's note stating that I must adhere to a gluten free diet AND the email from te special needs department that I could bring a 12 pack of gluten free beer. There is a product locater on Redbridge's website that will tell you where you can find it.

Archived