Chinese Lanterns at sea?

suebubbles

NO way.. naked flames on a ship are for bidden... you cannot have candles in your cabin etc.. a cigarette thrown overboard set fire to a balcony cushion and caused a whole load or problems.

YOU cannot lob anything over board either so a combination of flame and paper object would still be forbidden.

One thing is that thing thrown over board can get dragged BACK into the ship.

Also we used to throw streamers over board at sail away but that is forbidden now because of pollution at sea ... even though I am sure they could make them biodegradable

Its quite possable that your candle could be dragged back to the ship if let go.They have CTV cameras hidden about the ship so really dont try it.

Also in the country the candles are causing problems as if they land in a field and animals eat the grass etc in the area the wires get eaten.

Anybody know or has done chinese lanterns in the evening at sea.

I would like to release one on our special occasion but not if it appears as a

distress signal or anything like that

I think that would be a 'No', I'm afraid.

I know some of these regulations do seem a bit harsh, but a fire is almost the worst thing possible at sea (other than hitting something, I suppose).

There was an incident a few years ago when Star Princess, a near-sister ship to Ventura and Azura, caught fire on a C deck balcony. Most of the balconies on that side of the ship were destroyed, many cabins were seriously damaged thanks to fire ingress into the cabins (only a few), smoke ingress (quite a lot) or water damage (from the sprinklers) (lots). One passenger died - he was overcome by smoke in the passageway outside the cabins. The cause of the fire, as far as it could be identified, was probably a cigarette end discarded from a higher deck witch landed on a C deck balcony, possibly onto a towel or something left out on the balcony. It then smoldered for some hours before bursting into flame. There's a very interesting report on the whole incident on the MAIB website, which is available.

The general view afterwards was that Princess had been quite lucky in that there was only one fatality, the various fire control systems worked, and that the fire had been brought under control thanks to those systems and the efforts of the crew firefighting teams.

No, No, no, no, no, NO :eek:

Naked flames - no

There are already too many false alarms to coastguards about possible distress flares - no

They could get blown back on board - no

You don't know where they could land, possibly another fire risk if near land - no

If they land in the sea, pollution - no

They could get eaten by some unsuspecting creature - NO

It can't be long before they are banned from use onshore.

"Act your age, not your shoe size"

The general view afterwards was that Princess had been quite lucky in that there was only one fatality, the various fire control systems worked, and that the fire had been brought under control thanks to those systems and the efforts of the crew firefighting teams.

It was that incident which made P&O put a flame detector and a sprinkler system on all balconies. We were on the World Cruise on Aurora in 2006 when the teams were on board installing.

That report you talk of is quite frightening. The photos and the progress of the fire and how it was tracked, is both fascinating and frightening.

Archived