wireless on Star Flyer, Costa Rica?

Hydrokitty

Hi, I'm leaving on Star Flyer 2/20 Costa Rica-Panama cruise and wondering whether I should bring my net book so I can Skype son (he's leaving for Afg. while we're gone) does anyone know if there's any wireless service on board?

Hydrokitty,

You can buy an internet card for Euro 11,= for 1 hour, but the internet connection is most of the time very slow of non excisting. From the crew I heard they used a facility in Golfito (free). Perhaps one of the passengers that have recently been on the Flyer, knows more. My experience dates from the crossing in October '10.

Enjoy your trip and please let us know how it all went.

Pralientje

Hydrokitty,

You can buy an internet card for Euro 11,= for 1 hour, but the internet connection is most of the time very slow of non excisting. From the crew I heard they used a facility in Golfito (free). Perhaps one of the passengers that have recently been on the Flyer, knows more. My experience dates from the crossing in October '10.

Enjoy your trip and please let us know how it all went.

Pralientje

YIKES!!!! That's expensive....$16.50(US) for an hour??? Think I'll stick to the ipad and check out Golfito. I don't mind paying, but that's way over-priced.

I agree the ship is rather expensive & unreliable, but this last trip I only had my IPhone, so didn't even check.

During the sail.....neither of the marinas where the tenders drop in Golfito had an unlocked wifi....maybe you can check if they provide a code.....didn't check. There might be someplace further into town.

The only place I was able to connect to an unlocked wifi was in downtown Quepos. Down by the cute Best Western hotel on the main street. Got a good connection there & there are several nice restaurants & bars and also clothing & souveniershops at that location also. We had them drop us off there after the horseback riding excursion.

Mike

Thank you both for the info. I think I'll do the same and just bring the itouch so I can check in with the airlines when we get back to Miami. I'll just tell the kids we're "out of touch" for the 10 days we're gone! They'll manage. :D

Archived