Fred Olsen Roll call

jokskot

I'm a newbie here so please go gently ;)

I can't find a Roll call forum for Fred Olsen Lines.

Should I get some new bifocals or is there a reason? Can someone please enlighten me?

Kind regards John

There isn't one on this site, not sure of the reason why though, we had a thread on it a while back but still nothing. Most of us post a roll call on the Fred section of the forum. When and where are you cruising? there may be one already in the thraed on here you could try doing a search.:)

As a new UK Host - and soon to be sailing with Fred ! - I'll see what I can do !

Hi Ships cat (and fellow cruisers)

Looks like we're both sailing on the Fred Olsen Baltic cruise the Balmoral departing 13 May 2011 from.

*We are principally interested in making contact with people to plan and share an independently organised, intensive, small-group, 3 day tour of St Petersburg - I've collected quite a range of quotes and suggestions - and perhaps to share a day's car hire on Saaremaa.

I'm not sure that there is PM facility on this web site. So perhaps anyone interested could just post below and we can then devise some mechanism for direct discussion in detail.

Regards John

*that is my wife and I (early sixties, energetic seasoned travellers ....novice cruisers!)

Not on this cruise, but have you checked out the price of a Visa for Russia - we have just had a converation with our TA about visas as we are travelling to India and have paid a small fortune for 3 stops totalling less than 18 hours in the country. If you do the ships tours in Russia you can travel on a group Visa, but by doing you own thing you have to have your own Visa, which I understand is very expensive and complicated to obtain - only saying what she said, but may be worthwhile checking out.

Hi Glitterbabe

Thanks for the response.

Yes I know Russian visas are expensive and awkward to arrange if you get your own. This is THE reason why we're visiting StP by cruise ship rather than flying and making our own accommodation and tour arrangements as we have done in other tourist honeypots.

HOWEVER provided you arrange a shore tour with an accredited travel firm they will obtain the required 72 hour tourist visa in exactly the same way as it would be organised by the (local StP) company making arrangements for those tours bought from the cruise company.

By making private arrangements:

1. We can ensure that we see all of and only those places we want to see.

2. Limit the size of the group and avoid having to wait for the stragglers who inevitably arrive back late from any stop.

3. Cut out the middle man (ie the mark up which the cruise company will add)

4. Avoid being taken to and spending 2 hours at a tacky souvenir shop

5. Ensure we are guided by a company which has been well reviewed by previous customers

I could go on........

......maybe I already have!!!

Kind Regards J

Welcome to Cruise Critic Jokscot - I am sure you will soon find your way around. You can send messages to people by clicking on their name - a list of options will then come up. You can add people to your contacts and message them. I have replied on the roll-call thread about Balmoral - it will be good to see you on board. I'm guessing it will be somewhat chilly in Russia at that time of year !!

Hi Ships cat (and fellow cruisers)

Looks like we're both sailing on the Fred Olsen Baltic cruise the Balmoral departing 13 May 2011 from.

*We are principally interested in making contact with people to plan and share an independently organised, intensive, small-group, 3 day tour of St Petersburg - I've collected quite a range of quotes and suggestions - and perhaps to share a day's car hire on Saaremaa.

I'm not sure that there is PM facility on this web site. So perhaps anyone interested could just post below and we can then devise some mechanism for direct discussion in detail.

Regards John

John, We did St Peterbourgh last summer and had a great time there. We enjoy doing our own when we can but there we did a tour of the canals and River Neva which I recommend and in the evening we went to a Cossack show which was simililar to the ones the Red Army used to put on which was excellent apart from the BO. The boat trip and tour by coach visit more or less the same areas and tourist spots but the river trip is best if the weather is reasonable. We didn't do the Hermatige, just couldn't cope with that amount of information. I like you looked at diy sites unless you want to cover something specific I think what is on offer might be best.

Out of interest we also went to Tallin and caught a Taxi to the top of the town and explored all the way down. We had a lovely day Churches, squares etc.

For Helsink we had a cab to the town area near the town harbour where there was market stalls and other interesting things. The main square is nearby and also the town with plenty to see. We shared a cab with another couple and told him what we wanted to see, Greig monument etc and ended up at the square with marching bands etc. He made it interesting and the price was very reasonable.

• 1 month later...
As a new UK Host - and soon to be sailing with Fred ! - I'll see what I can do !

Hi Sharon

Have you put up a roll call area for Fred Olsen yet. Maybe its me that cant find it if you have.

Another site has one but I prefer Cruise Critic for its more informative style.

Ron

Hi Sharon

Have you put up a roll call area for Fred Olsen yet. Maybe its me that cant find it if you have.

Another site has one but I prefer Cruise Critic for its more informative style.

Ron

I have asked for one, but it depends on the numbers requesting it and I don't think there are enough FO cruisers on CC yet !! So sorry !

I have asked for one, but it depends on the numbers requesting it and I don't think there are enough FO cruisers on CC yet !! So sorry !

Viewed on my computer, there are 21 pages to the Fred Olsen forum. I have estimated the number of views of the posts currently on page 1 at 46000. If my sampling is typical, that is in excess of 900000 views of items posted relevant to this cruise line.

Given that many of the viewers will have an interest in travelling with Fred Olsen, I would have thought there was sufficient interest to create a dedicated roll call.

Regards John

Viewed on my computer, there are 21 pages to the Fred Olsen forum. I have estimated the number of views of the posts currently on page 1 at 46000. If my sampling is typical, that is in excess of 900000 views of items posted relevant to this cruise line.

Given that many of the viewers will have an interest in travelling with Fred Olsen, I would have thought there was sufficient interest to create a dedicated roll call.

Regards John

When you read this, and then look at the other areas that have not at lot or nil interest to UK cruisers, you have to ask, are we being sold short on a .co.uk forum.

Give us an excuse we can believe so that we do not have to go to other forums to get roll calls for Fred.

Keep your members happy, it costs nothing but a little time to add it.

Ron

Archived