Places to eat with local food?

chaddor11

• 3 weeks later...

We tried to go to Corita's but got there just shortly before close and they were already done serving. Bummer, but we went to Rackham's instead and had a great meal of conch fritters and fish and chips, with gorgeous views of the water. Great place to relax - not cheap though. However, everything in GC is expensive so it was to be expected.

We always go to 'The Lobster Pot'. It's about 3/4 a mile from the port and is an easy walk or taxi ride. They serve Lobster(of course) but also serve Turtle Steaks. You know those cute little turtles you see at the turtle farm?... well this is where 30% of them end up(the other 70% are set free). So if you wanna try something new and definitely unique, drop by The Lobster Pot for a turtle steak.

We always go to 'The Lobster Pot'. It's about 3/4 a mile from the port and is an easy walk or taxi ride. They serve Lobster(of course) but also serve Turtle Steaks. You know those cute little turtles you see at the turtle farm?... well this is where 30% of them end up(the other 70% are set free). So if you wanna try something new and definitely unique, drop by The Lobster Pot for a turtle steak.

Not quite true as of late.

Farm releases only eight turtles into wild

Periodically our board members want to know what percentage of turtles are released from the turtle farm. Using the farm's own numbers I calculated the release rate is less than 1%.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1255364&page=2

Check out posts #23 and #24 in that thread for the numbers.

Remember that the green sea turtle is an endangered species. As such you cannot import any turtle products back into the US, regardless of whether they were produced at the turtle farm.

Hi NCBOYS,

Could you please let me know how far is this restaurant to the port? Is it a kid-friendly place?

My husband and I will be there with our children (8 & 4 years old) in June. We plan to do the stingrays city excursion and then hang out at a beach (probably 7 Mile Beach?) as well as eat lunch at a seafood restaurant. My husband loves to try Caribbean lobsters and conch.

Any information and/ or advice you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

For great seafood close to the port you might want to try Guy Harvey's Island Grill.

It is a favorite with the local business community for a nice and reasonable lunch. There is a daily special for about CI$10. Outdoor ocean-view dining is available.

Guy Harveys has great conch fritters

Thank you both for the information. I have written down the name of the restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a very delicious lunch at Miss Vivene's just a couple weeks ago while on a tour of Grand Cayman. Very authentic - fish with a Cayman sauce/relish, plantains, beans and rice, and a fritter, followed by Cassava cake. The dining room is outdoors in back on a cliff overlooking the ocean. An upscale Miss Vie's if you've ever been to St John.

Archived