My VERY long Carnival Victory Cruise Jan. 23, 2010 Review

Kitt Lady

Mary, I'm on the same cruise as you (we're in the same roll-call group), what flights did you book? I see we both live in NYC. You can answer in our roll-call, thought I'd catch you here since you posted here more recently.

Hi: We are flying in the day before, on the 19th. American Airlines. I am flying from NY and my granddaughter is flying from Wichita, KS.

We both arrive in Puerto Rico at 2:50 PM and are staying at the Sheraton Convention Center Hotel. I was so disappointed that the Sheraton Old San Juan would not let you book for one night.

30 days to go and cannot wait.

KittLady, thank you so much for this review! We just booked our cruise on the Victory this weekend for mid May...I started looking at Shore Excursions and really wanted to do that mud bath one - but saw it still isn't available on the Carnival website (disappointing!) I think the French Beach Break looks beautiful for St. Maarten, so we might look at that.

I am with you in regards to booking with Carnival, I get nervous going out on my own and the possibility of not getting back onto the ship in time (I've seen it happen with Norwegian!)

Thanks again!

I was hoping to see a PDF of the Fun Times from a recent Victory cruise and I notice references to one in this thread. But, I did not see a link to the PDF.

Where did I miss it?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I love your review. Thank you. I''ve book a group of 25 to sail in December. My daughter and BF booked the Jr Suite. She's going to love the pictures. Perhaps she'll get upgraded as well. The air is what has me worried now. The majority of us will be flying out of Phila. When I booked the group back in Oct. the air was running around $400. Today it's $605. Sighhhhh.......keeping fingers crossed it doesn't go much higher. I'm afraid some folks will cancel if that happens.

Thanks for the review. I always have problems veiwing pictures, but it leaves more of it to be a suprise.

I don't know why people are complaining about high airfare to San Juan. I'm in VA and found roundtrip tics to SJU for $350. I thought that was a steal since it costs $500 pp for pretty much anywhere in the US these days.

My DBF and I are doing this cruise at the end of april, and I can not wait! I spend most of my time at work on CC reading reviews and such, trying to nail down our excursions. Just can't decide, it all looks and sounds like so much fun. I'm afraid we are going to be worn out from doing so much, but I'm not a 'chill on the beach' type of person.

I just have to survive 30 more days til we leave for a well deserved vaca.

This thread has been fun to go through! I am in the May 1 sailing and cannot wait! I've done lots of reading and research and have most everything booked and ready to go!!

And with concerns to airfare, we used some free vouchers I received when flying on Delta last Nov to Cancun for a friend's wedding. The plane was oversold and I didn't have an assigned seat. I was with a friend that did have a seat but she gave up her seat to stay with me. They flew us to Atlanta, gave us prob $100 in food vouchers and also $1200 in airline credit!!!! So flying to San Juan for an awesome itinerary was a no-brainer!!

Here's what we have planned

Fly in to SJU Sat. Staying at Da House in OSJ

St Thomas- Godfrey's tours- for 6 hr shopping, island and Megan's Bay

Barbados- Shasa Cat cruise turtle and shipwreck snorkel

St Lucia- James Touring island tour

St Kitts- Taking a cab to Cockelshell Beach

St Maarten- renting a Jeep to explore both sides of the island

San Juan- staying til Monday to fly out cuz the fare was $250 cheaper PER PERSON than leaving on Sunday!!! We are renting a car here for $30 and going to see El Yunque

Thanks for the great review!

KittLady, thank you so much for this review! We just booked our cruise on the Victory this weekend for mid May...I started looking at Shore Excursions and really wanted to do that mud bath one - but saw it still isn't available on the Carnival website (disappointing!) I think the French Beach Break looks beautiful for St. Maarten, so we might look at that.

I am with you in regards to booking with Carnival, I get nervous going out on my own and the possibility of not getting back onto the ship in time (I've seen it happen with Norwegian!)

Thanks again!

The mud bath is available on Capt Alan's 3-Island Tour. It is a morning tour, so you get back to the ship in plenty of time to do some shopping in the afternoon. It is a BLAST!

:p

Thanks for the review. I always have problems veiwing pictures, but it leaves more of it to be a suprise.

I don't know why people are complaining about high airfare to San Juan. I'm in VA and found roundtrip tics to SJU for $350. I thought that was a steal since it costs $500 pp for pretty much anywhere in the US these days.

My DBF and I are doing this cruise at the end of april, and I can not wait! I spend most of my time at work on CC reading reviews and such, trying to nail down our excursions. Just can't decide, it all looks and sounds like so much fun. I'm afraid we are going to be worn out from doing so much, but I'm not a 'chill on the beach' type of person.

I just have to survive 30 more days til we leave for a well deserved vaca.

Ours were 300 RT nonstop from JFK 3 weeks ago..we got a major deal on that one, but you are right about it being 500 to fly everywhere..its terrible now! i think we got our tix mid january i think that was right before things started really skyrocketing up. You will be worn out, believe me i am the chill out at the beach person and i was SO worn out every night fell asleep at the comedy show :p

Hi KittLady. I see you did the Ultimate Island Experience excursion in St. Thomas. We will be doing the same excursion in June on our Liberty cruise. The description says a "short harbor cruise" will return you to your ship. What was that like? Was the return transportation a pain? What options were there for lunch? Any info. is greatly appreciated. :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great review. I am going in Sept. The airfair seems to go up and down about $50 per person depending on the day of the week I check it. Its up today but I hope it will be down again in a few days. Thanks again for a great review

• 4 months later...
We are looking at this cruise for next years spring break. I have been watching airfares from Phoenix for months and they have been holding steady at $550 per person on American Airlines.

Kitt Lady: I am loving your review. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. This may be the best Victory review I ever SEEN:D:D:D ~~ Mandy

Wow!!! I'm thinking I did fairly good with airfare for our upcoming (november 2011) cruise on the victory... Booked not even two mo ago.. Flying from Washington state, one stop... $400/RT.

Ohhh... N btw... Gotta say I seen your review... And ya'all looked like u had a blast... Lol ... Had to poke fun of the grammar patrol. I couldn't believe someone would critique someone's grammar I was nearly ROTFL!!!

Ok... Gotta get back to reading ur review.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great review! Thanks a lot for taking the time to share with us your wonderful journey.

Which one is your favorite island? We are taking the same Carnival Victory cruise in April and I'm still researching on what to do on each island. Your detailed review definitely helped a lot.

Great review! Thanks a lot for taking the time to share with us your wonderful journey.

Which one is your favorite island? We are taking the same Carnival Victory cruise in April and I'm still researching on what to do on each island. Your detailed review definitely helped a lot.

Thank you. I honestly loved them all. We are headed back on the Victory in 19 days...OMG I can't wait!! We have planned completely different excursions this year. I am still ironing our a few details. Boy am I ready to head off to paradise!:D

• 2 weeks later...

Ohhh Thank You :p!

It's funny you say that - I have already started this cruise's review. I really don't know if it'll be a "review" so much as a journal, or maybe me just rambling ;)..lol. There are six of us this year - I can ONLY imagen what trouble the six of us can get into.....lol. It has been a year in planning and with major ups and downs. A LOT of starting the planning over (and over and over and over :eek:).

I leave in FOUR DAYS...WOOOOOO HOOOOO :D

Kitt Lady......Thank you so much for your review this was one trip i really need to take which next year i will be celebrating my 50th birthday and 1o yr cancer free.:p My question is when durning the year is the best time to go?:rolleyes: i prefer not in the summer when there lots of kids:D

I also did the zip line in jamacia it was a blast look forward to try it there.

Kitt Lady......Thank you so much for your review this was one trip i really need to take which next year i will be celebrating my 50th birthday and 1o yr cancer free.:p My question is when durning the year is the best time to go?:rolleyes: i prefer not in the summer when there lots of kids:D

I also did the zip line in jamacia it was a blast look forward to try it there.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND CONGRATS!! My Mom is a three year Breast Cancer survivor.

I honestly am only able (because of work) to vacation in Jan. I’m also thinking these islands would be pretty hot in the summer months. I didn’t see many kids at all on the ship which was a plus for us. It’s not that I don’t like kids; it’s just that we wanted a more adult vacation. Next year, we are hoping to take my daughter and NEW (as in born this late December) grand-daughter on vacation with us (New Daddy will be deployed in Afghanistan until somewhere between next Feb to July 2013).

This year we are trying the Zip Line in Puerto Rico… (http://www.toroverdepr.com) We are getting picked up at 8am and will spend the day on the Zip Lines then we will be brought back and embark on the Victory….and off we go….Woooo Hoooo….THREE MORE DAYS !!!

ONE MORE DAY !!!

I have so much to get done before we leave...

Drop off Great Dane at kennel for Doggy Spa Week...Drop German Shepard off at my Mom to get spoiled for the week. Pick up odds and ends...Pick up around the house...Figure out how to get my luggage to weigh under 50 lbs...

So much to do :eek:

Archived