Alaska aboard the Dream

jjfla

We have booked a 10 day cruise on the Dream leaving in late May. I have read so many bad reviews of this ship on many different sites since booking and am a little concerned about the fact that this ship seems to MOVE more than others.

This will be our first cruise in over 12 years, (been busy raising the kids) and we are celebrating a milestone birthday and anniversary on this cruise. As far as the service and food reviews, as long as I don't have to cook and clean the food is always good. And being in a business that has to deal with the public, well lets just say if you give attitude expect to get it back!!

On this 10 day cruise, we will be out in the Turbulant Pacific as well as the Gulf of Alaska for the first couple of days and the coments have been that it rocks pretty good in the Gulf, and that is a calm body of water. Anybody ever ask someone on the crew with knowledge as to way this ship sways so much????

Any info would be great! Any others out there sailing this ship late May??

We were on this ship for 27 days for the Baltic/Transatlantic cruises. The only time we felt motion was in the turbulent North Sea. If everyone is so adverse to motion, perhaps a land trip is more in order. After all, this is a ship and there is never any guarantee of what kind of seas you will encounter. With all this apprehension, stay ashore!

I was on the Dream to Bermuda a few years back and I really don't remember any problems with motion. I was also on her "twin" sister ship the Wind in Alaska, and again I don't recall any sort of problem with excessive motion. I was speaking to my husband just last night about all the posts on this board in reference to the motion on the Dream and we thought that maybe with all of these huge ships now in the water, people are just not used to the "normal" motion on a smaller ship (which the Dream would be considered nowadays).:confused:

Anyway, we are booked on the Dream for 11 days in Alaska on June 9, and we can't wait!!!:D

Thanks, but don't plan on staying ashore. I know it is a cruise ship, just wondering why most of the post on this website as well as others coment about the extreme rocking motion!

Plan on enjoying my time in Alaska, it's been many years in the making.

Thanks Getty,

We are sailing on the 10 day on May 30th, we arrive back in Seattle on the 9th and are spending a couple of days touring beautiful Washington before heading back to North Florida.

The only other cruise ship we have been on was the Premier Cruise line the Magisty and it was only about 400ft long, small ship. Left Port Canaveral the night Hurricane Hugo slamed into the Carolina's. So I have experinced intense rocking during that cruise and I handled it fine. Don't think this one will be any worse.

Again thanks for the response and enjoy Alaska!!!

JJFla:

Leave the Dream in good shape for us!!;)

I started my love of cruising on ships the were in the 20,000 to 25,000 ton range and also about 400 feet long, so even the Dream is a large ship in comparison. I think if you did okay in the rough seas generated by Hugo, you should do great in Alaska.

You enjoy Alaska, too!:D

You seem to have great cruise info. We are going on the Dream with our two daughters (7 & 9) June 20th. Any suggestions on how to book excursions outsides of the cruiseline. They tend to be very expensive. We have never been there. Anything we shouldn't miss? We have never been on the Dream, also a tend scared about all the talk about motion, but figure will give the kids a motion pill to help for the first day and make the most of it. Any suggestions you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Wendy

Hi Whitewhale... we'll be on your cruise 6/20 and we have some ideas. I tried to email you, but I was not able to. If you provide an email address, I will contact you directly, or try to email me through this service. :)

Hi Whitewhale!

Check out the Alaska board on this site. There are many excellent suggestions for which independent companies to use for shore tours in the various ports. I've found that the very best way to deal with kids who have a bit of motion sickness is to get them outside and breathing the fresh air for a little while until they acclimate. If either of your kids feel sick, do not let them just hang out in your cabin. It will make them feel more sick! (Same advice for adults.;) )

Have a wonderful time in Alaska. Your family will be boarding just as we leave our cruise.:(

We have booked a 10 day cruise on the Dream leaving in late May. I have read so many bad reviews of this ship on many different sites since booking and am a little concerned about the fact that this ship seems to MOVE more than others.

This will be our first cruise in over 12 years, (been busy raising the kids) and we are celebrating a milestone birthday and anniversary on this cruise. As far as the service and food reviews, as long as I don't have to cook and clean the food is always good. And being in a business that has to deal with the public, well lets just say if you give attitude expect to get it back!!

On this 10 day cruise, we will be out in the Turbulant Pacific as well as the Gulf of Alaska for the first couple of days and the coments have been that it rocks pretty good in the Gulf, and that is a calm body of water. Anybody ever ask someone on the crew with knowledge as to way this ship sways so much????

Any info would be great! Any others out there sailing this ship late May??

My husband and I will be on the same cruise with you on 5/30. I, too, have read with horror the rockiness of the Dream. I have purchased Transderm Scop patches and Bonine, a non-drowsiness medicine for seasickness. I found a website from Canada that sells the Transderm Scop without a Dr's prescription at 2/$10.49 and $4.00 shipping-cheaper than most places.

Never hurt to be prepared.

Hope to meet you on the ship.

My husband and I will be on the same cruise with you on 5/30. I, too, have read with horror the rockiness of the Dream. I have purchased Transderm Scop patches and Bonine, a non-drowsiness medicine for seasickness. I found a website from Canada that sells the Transderm Scop without a Dr's prescription at 2/$10.49 and $4.00 shipping-cheaper than most places.

Never hurt to be prepared.

Hope to meet you on the ship.

Already have my perscription for the patches from the doctor. I have used them before and they work great.

After reading so many coments about the motion on the Dream I guess my bigest concern is being out in the Pacific for the first few days before going into the Inside Passage, should be real interesting. I think I will manage fine as far as the seasickness goes and it does'nt bother my husband at all. He gets sick on rides but not boats, go figure!!!!

We are so looking forward to this cruise and Alaska, trying to figure out what to pack is becomming a challenge!! Are you taking any of the shore excursions that NCL provides? The only one that we may do is the Rail Trip and Raft Float in Whittier as that is the one port that has nothing available to do on your own and we are going to be there all day.

Enjoy and we'll see you there!!

I have talked to several friends who had been on an Alaskan cruise in late May or June. They all say it's really not that cold that you'd need heavy down jackets, etc. In fact, some days, they only wore t-shirts and windbreakers. This year is expected to be unusually warm. We will follow the "layering" advice, with silk undershirts, polartex top, and gortex jacket.

We plan to book our own shore excursions because the prices are much better than those booked through the ship. By booking early, some tours offer a 10% off even. I am still researching; I have booked for a private charter in Ketchikan so far. If I find anything good, I will let you know. :)

Archived