Is this considered a weapon?

TNPirate

It's a Weapon. My son was accosted (11) on his school bus by a kid with one.

So is a bungee cord if you are going to strangle someone with it......

Personaly I don't care if you bring it, but let the ship people fix the shower, enjoy your cruise!:D

I didn't fix the freakin shower, I tightened a screw in the shampoo holder on the wall........

I take a (generic) Leatherman in my checked luggage on cruises. I also take a small VOM. I'm sure some folks consider me a bit retentive, but almost every trip, I've found more than one occasion to use them. And no, even though there is a knife blade, I don't consider it a weapon (but I'm not stupid enough to put it in my carry-on luggage for the plane).

I don't put it in my carry-on anymore -- before 9-11, though, I often did, as things were VERY different before that event. Also, the fact that I was in the military then and presented a military ID (and often traveled in uniform) may have made some difference as well. Now, when I fly, I make a conscious effort to put it deep in the bowels of my checked bag. I guess I'll have to start doing that with my Zippo as well, now.

I haven't been on a cruise yet (Honeymoon in Sept on Valor), but I could see a good reason in having one would be while Scuba Diving. As a Open Water certified Diver, I wouldn't go on an excursion without one to fix problems with equipment as they arise. I've used one on many occasions where having it saved the dive. I realize that only the dive company should work on their regs and tanks, but I plan on taking my own wet suit, fins, mask, and snorkel. Also, any reputable dive operator should have tools available, sometimes it is better (and quicker) to fix it yourself. Just like the airlines, I would guess putting it in your checked bags would suffice.

• 1 year later...

The first time I cruised on Conquest in Jan 2003 my friend and I rode the elevator fairly late in the evening on Sunday with 2 guys who were just getting their luggage. We asked if it had been lost and one said that his had been held for a dive knife and the other guy had big wrenches in his luggage (made no sense to us????). They made them come to the purser's desk, confiscated the contraband, and then gave the luggage. Apparently there is no reason to bring work tools or dive knives on a ship. I carry (in checked luggage) a small pair of sharp scissors and a corkscrew with a tiny knife. I've never had trouble. Beyond that I wouldn't see the need to bring anything else.

Wow so many people freak out about these things. You may need something like this for 1000 reasons. Sorry I don't leave Home W/O my Leatherman. The fact is that most people probobly carry sometype of multi tool, mendimg kit, razor, eye glass kit etc. How about that nice sharp serated knife they give you to cut your steak or prime rib? Do they inventory those? Could some one Pack one on the Lido deck? Say maybe fight you for taking their chair that they have saved for the last 7 hours?

Me I would rather my neighbor carry a leatherman, than say a steak knife.

Deanhamy

I've taken my small Leatherman in my checked bags and used them many times for different things. Heck, I even keep one on my key chain & use it often. It is about 1.5 incehs long by .5 inches wide.

I am also a diver. I've checked my dive knife many times also. It is something I would consider a weapon. The blade is half serated and is probably about 5-6 inches long. No problems checking it either.

If I "wanted" to do damage....an ink pen, knife from the dining room, etc. would suffice. I guess what I am saying is that anyting could be used as a weapon if someone were a mind to harm someone!

While boarding the Conquest a few years ago the passanger infront of us was detained and all his bags checked after they found a folding knife in his carry on, he claimed he forgot it was in there, it was taken along with the booze he was trying to smuggle in and he was able to board the ship finally, but was his wife made!

what about zippos are they concidered a banned item?

On airplanes Zippos are concidered a banned item as well as a bic lighter is. They want you to carry book matches only. They fall under the flamable liquid and lighter rule.

My boyfriend always carries a zippo at home but when we go out of town the zippo stays home. If you don't want to lose it, leave it home.

Also if you buy a zippo while traveling make sure to have the place you buy it from wrap it good and tape it. If security at the airport checks your checked luggage they will take it if it looks or smells used.

As far as a leatherman tool, this is an interesting topic. My boy friend, again, carries a knife with him every where. He does put one in our checked luggage when we go on trips. However, it is not that big and he doesn't carry it off the ship when we go. He knows there is a chance that it will get confiscated and he doesn't want that to happen.

I do agree that the leatherman it a very useful tool. Thinking OUTSIDE the box, it can be used for many things besides a weapon.

I can't believe that people have such difficulty with this subject. I had my sgean dubh in my luggage when boarding Oceana at Southampton. It was noted in the pre-boarding scans. I was called and asked to leave it behind and pick it up on my return. I wasn't planning to do any damage to anyone or anything but I complied willingly. It's a statement of the world in which we live today. I now have a plastic replica which I take along to wear with my kilt.

My boyfriend brought his when we sailed the Conquest in December. He is so used to having it that he feels "lost" without it. I used to laugh at him. But I've seen it come in handy at so many unusual times, that I don't even question it. :)

Shortly after all this started a couple of years ago, we went on a cruise out of Miami. My wife had a small (2-1/2" total length) pair of scissors in her pocketbook to finish hemming a dress or something like that. They, of course, confiscated them upon boarding. They told us we could put it in our checked luggage (which had already been taken by the porters to wherever they take luggage to decide if it gets on the ship or not) but that was not an option. So, into the basket it went with the other collectibles. I never have figured out why it was ok in the suitcase but not ok in the pocketbook.

Then, we go on board, go to the Lido deck for lunch, and are give this 7" long steak knife.

I'm all for security, but I'm also all for common sense. As on poster said, most anything can be used as a weapon if given the opportunity. Thankfully, they have eased the restrictions somewhat, but you are still at the whim of the actual inspector as to whether or not you get something on board.

There is a difference between handy and essential. If it isn't essential, don't bring it.

Mark T

It's a Weapon. My son was accosted (11) on his school bus by a kid with one. The police arrested him for having a weapon on school grounds + a number of other things. He only used the pliers part of the thing, but because it had a blade in it, and he was using the pliers in a threating maner. Policed deemed it as a weapon, and still look at leatherman as weapons. I asked my neighbor he's a cop.;)

Personaly I don't care if you bring it, but let the ship people fix the shower, enjoy your cruise!:D

Schools have been forced to take extreme measures because of kids like the bully who accosted your son. I hope he was ok and nothing bad happened.

For some reason, people who are "handy" with their hands are not able to leave the little things like the soap dispenser for others. They just have to do it. I think that for that type of people, the satisfaction of fixing it would make them enjoy their cruise more than leaving it for the ship people. That's why God gave us chocolate and vanilla: we're all different. :)

Here's one better.

Uncle went through security, they confiscated his nail clippers, the one that has that file swingie thingie.

He argued with security, but they wouldn't let him through with it.

He conceded, went through, went to one of the shops, bought a new one, and went back (cause he's the type that always has to prove he's right), and slammed it down shouting "HERE!" :eek:

I tell you, you've got to be wary of people with nail clippers. He could have incapacitated the entire crew by trimming their nails down to the quick, making it impossible for them to defend themselves against his evil machinations while on board.

Did I just write that!?!? :)

Mark T

..........For some reason, people who are "handy" with their hands are not able to leave the little things like the soap dispenser for others. They just have to do it. I think that for that type of people, the satisfaction of fixing it would make them enjoy their cruise more than leaving it for the ship people. That's why God gave us chocolate and vanilla: we're all different. :)
I can relate to that. On a day-to-day basis I carry tools for work, I carry tools in my street rod for emergency repairs, and I never go to my MIL's house w/o tools to fix or install something for her. So w/o tools "some" of us feel "naked". OK, so I don't bring a tool bag on a cruise, but I do throw a generic leatherman type tool in my suitcase. I just feel better knowing I have access to at least some small pliers and screwdrivers in case something we have needs a small repair.

I accept the increased security at the airports and don't even try to bring a small pair of nail clippers (except in my suitcase), and only bring a cheap generic leatherman in case security decides to remove it. Two or three years ago on a trip to CA they left a note in my suitcase that they confiscated a book of matches (must have been a souvenir from a restaurant/bar that was buried in one of the suitcase pockets).

John

I have one too that I always have with me, way too expensive to have some overzealous yahoo decide it is a weapon and toss it into a bin to be melted down...

There is absolutely nothing I would need it for on a cruise - want, yes, need no.

I would not risk it with mine...

I have one too that I always have with me, way too expensive to have some overzealous yahoo decide it is a weapon and toss it into a bin to be melted down...

There is absolutely nothing I would need it for on a cruise - want, yes, need no.

I would not risk it with mine...

Melt them down...you've got to be kidding. They auction all that crap off in boxes on a regular basis here in Tampa, except for the really dangerous stuff like axes and machetes. You buy the box by lot number and get what you get, sight unseen.

Mark T

I carry a pocket knife all the time and always have. I always pack my knife in my suitcase as well as a leatherman when travelling. I've never had a problem getting on a ship. I also carry my dive gear in which I have 2 different (large) knives, and have never had a problem getting them on or off the ship.

I see alot of people bringing things that I don't understand or feel the need for either, but that's their business, not mine. Having worked years as a LEO, a leatherman IS NOT considered a weapon, sorry. It's a multi-tool. It's no more of a weapon than the high heels my DW might be wearing. If someones wearing a multi-tool and it bothers you, look the other way. :rolleyes:

Melt them down...you've got to be kidding. They auction all that crap off in boxes on a regular basis here in Tampa, except for the really dangerous stuff like axes and machetes. You buy the box by lot number and get what you get, sight unseen.......
Ever wonder what happens to the thousands of nail clippers, scissors, screwdrivers and other banned items collected every day by airport security screeners?:

Airport security sparks market for confiscated goods

Makes for an interesting read.

What's a LEO?
Law Enforcement Officer

John

Actually you can bring Zippos on a plane in checked luggage if you follow the rules.

I never have a problem with a leatherman in checked luggage - plane or cruise ship.

I have been asked if I have a dive knife when boarding cruise ships in port. Sometimes they will confiscate and hold until the next port, often not.

Archived