Any one been on the cave tubing in Belize ?

Yes, my husband and I did that in 2002 w/Reggie's Cave Tubing. We had a very good time. Be prepared for a little bit of a walk w/your tube to get to the water. My husbands sunglasses are lost forever at the bottom of a cave in Belize, LOL!

Have fun!!

RCI Majesty in...

We booked cave tubing on our own and that was a good choice. It was fun and we were glad we did it but wouldn't do it again. Our group only had about 12 people which was great. The guide told us lots of interesting information about the plants in the jungle - he even pointed out a trantula and bats along the way. We had the option on sitting into the tubes to start or jumping into the water off a rock ledge. Our son and several others choose to jump. We did one dark cave with just our group and then our tour joined in with other ship tours. That was nuts! Incredibly crowded - tube to tube people. Our guide did a nice job of keeping us together. After the second dark cave that was enough for me - it was getting chilly and I thought it was a little stressful trying to stay with our group within this huge crowd.

The outside (out of the cave) tubing was nice too - we stopped a few times. Once so anyone who wanted could try a tarzan jump into the water from vines and in another spot jumping in from another rock ledge.

All in all it was fun but once was enough for us. Next time I think we'd go see the ruins.

Of all the excursions we did this is the only one our kids said they wouldn't do again. They're 13 and 15 - we rented Dune Buggys in Costa Maya, toured Cozumel in a little VW half open bug and swam with stingrays in Grand Caymen.

My family just did the cave tubing in February - kids are ages 12 and 14. This was probably one of their favorite excursions. We booked through the ship since we were first time cruisers and didn't know what to expect. There was 74 people on this excursion we were split into two groups and we were with the smaller group of about 24 - I thought our guide was very knowledgable during the bus ride out and then thru the rainforest. We were not bunched up with another group our guide waited until the group in front of us was at a good distance before we jumped into the water. One piece of advice that I read on this board was to wear a Tshirt so you don't rub against the tube. The only downside was the water is a little chilly! I would recommend this to anybody!!

We went in "03, booked it thru the ship. Were supposed to be transported to the site via an "air conditioned coach"... in reality... a school bus. Guess you were supposed to open the windows to get the AC. It was a lot of fun but not something I'd have to do again. Most amusing moment was watching folks back down the slope to get into the water while holding onto a rope. Not a graceful or pretty sight for most. Oh, and the batteries on my headlamp died halfway through the trip but I guess there's nothing you can do about that, just take your chances & hope for the best (unless you want to bring along a few spare AA's in your suit!!)

Last Oct my sis & I went on Carnival cruise & we were in a group of 10 that did the cave tubing in Belize. We booked it on our own and absolutely loved it. The only problem we had was getting off the ship and to the shore before the guide left us. We had a late start. The cave was cool but felt good because it was pretty muggy that day. If you don't like the dark, you won't like this --- the cave is very very dark. All in all we would do it again.

I was considering this excursion until the post about the guide pointing out tarantulas and bats in the jungle. How many creepy crawly things are near you on the walk through the jungle (bugs, spiders, snakes, lizards, scorpions, bats, etc.)? What about in the river (water spiders, water snakes, etc.)? What about in the caves (bats, lizards, etc.)?

I think that I'll go to the ruins or go snorkeling!

This is an incredible experience. We did the Tour with Reggie and he is fantastic.

My wife and two kids, together with about six other people. He picked us up at the Pier and took us straight to the Staging Area. About a 45 minute ride in a Van.

The hike is not so bad but it does take you through some narrow winding areas. It was kind of Muddy. I'm sure there was all kinds of life around us because it's basicaly a rainforrest that you hike through. Nothing threatening.

The tubing is pretty straight forward! But be warned that if you let yourself get panicked it can be very unnerving. If you are claustraphobic or nervous about water this may not be for you.

They give you a headlight that you wear around your forhead. Its shines a beam of light where you look.

I wear glasses and I am blind without them. I'm sitting in this tube, floating down the river and my light starts to go dim. I''m in a pitch black cave sitting above water that feels like it is 30 feet deep below me. In reality it was probably no more than 8 ft at the deepest point but it sure felt deep. I'm worried that I'm going to tip over and lose my glasses. The guides are keeping everyone together but I feel like I'm falling behind. My wife and 12 year old son are ahead of me and I'm moving slow. I can hear another group behind us but they are way back.

That's when I began to wonder what the hell I was doing in the middle of a cave in Belize. Thats quite a mind bender when you think about it.

I will never forget looking over at my nine year old floating past me. She has her NCL Kids club floppy hat and sunglasses on. She slows down and floats over to me and holds my hand and tells me not to worry . Together we make our way down the river until a guide swims back and pushes us forward to join the group.

Honestly, I was nervous and uptight the whole way. The best feeling was when we came out of the darkness and into the beautiful sunlight and the forrest all around.

In retrospect, I'm glad I did it and I will never forget it. But be sure you can handle the dark emptyness for a few minutes.

Enjoy!

:D

That's when I began to wonder what the hell I was doing in the middle of a cave in Belize. Thats quite a mind bender when you think about it.

:D

Hilarious ! I'm pretty sure I'm going to do this exscursion' date=' just for the experience. I'm not worried about the water, seems like fun. I can't wait !![/font']

..but like others have indicated, DON'T use the ship,,book it prior with Reggie,

and there are one or two others that are very reputable(google 'cavetubing..Belize") You will save money, get a more personal experience. We had about 8 in our group...will never forget passing one of the ships "air-conditioned coach's"...old yellow

school buses packed with people. If you can, pack an old pair of sneakers

(like your "mowing" shoes) to use only on this excursion. They will get wet and muddy..just toss 'em after your done. There is a pretty good hike while you carry your innertube over your shoulder. It's not excessive, put pretty good excercize. Not recommended for less than fit senior citizens (however, we had a 70 year old gent in our group who was outpacing most of us). The cave tubing was very fun..with some awesome sights, and other than a small lizard on the trail..I didn't see anything to make

most folks nervous. I'm not sure I would do it again, unless I was with someone doing it for the first time perhaps..but it was sure fun. Well worth the investment of time and money.

Mitch

Loved it!! It was really alot of fun. My husband and 10 year old daughter went also, and had a blast. I also lost a pair of cheap sunglasses in the first cave we went thru. We went a couple of weeks ago and were never bothered by any bugs or misquitoes. Never saw any snakes, spiders or any creatures of any kind. I see more stuff crawling around in the woods here at home, even in the winter! There wasn't even alot of birds, that was a little dissapointing. I was expecting to hear alot of wild birds. We did see some bats flying around, but they were up high, and did not bother us. We also stopped to eat a local restaurant and I was surprised that even our daughter ate everything, she is a very picky eater. It was great food, especially with the local hot sauce put on it. We bought a couple of local beers that were pretty good also. The view from the restaraunt was beautiful. No problem getting back in time for the ship, had over an hour to spare.

Go on...get out there!

Renee

Did it three years ago, thru the ship, and had a blast. Funniest story: our guides had a dog that swam the entire length of the excursion with us. One of our party, oblivious to the fact that the dog was nearby, was gazing up at the roof of the cave, floating lazily down the river, and put his arms behind him to paddle a bit. When hand unexpectedly met cold, wet fur, the bloodcurdling scream made all of us shft into high gear. We still laugh about it. :D

Audome78 -

If that had been me I would not be hear right now!

I would have surely flipped into the deep dark river never to be heard of again.

I can only imagine the feel of that dogs fur while trying to paddle my way to sunlight.

Great Story!:D

We did wet-n-wild and loved it.

Only thing I did that I wish I wouldn't have done was they pointed out bannaas and invited us to have a bite, and I did. But then I began to worry about eating wild fruit in the jungle. Just made me worry a little too much.

Archived