QV March 3: Port substitution

Debbers

A quick look at the website showed that Curacao has been replaced with Bonaire. A call to Cunard confirmed it. The nice man on the phone said that the port in Curacao is too small for the ship (didn't they check that in advance?), and the waters not suitable for tendering.

For my part, I have no preference--Curacao looked interesting, and so does Bonaire. I know the ship has the perogative to change ports, but was still surprised. So, what's fun to do in Bonaire?

I dont think that it is too small, Im thinking that was just a reason they pulled from a hat. Queen Elizabeth just called there a few weeks ago and it was fine and considering the ships and their drafts are the same it should make no difference. Other Vista class ships have called there since and have reported no problems. I could see if it needed dredging but the other ships still call so it couldn't be that. I could see there being too many ships in port that day to accommodate and they dont like the idea of tendering but the way it is worded just doesn't seem right to me.

I dont think that it is too small, Im thinking that was just a reason they pulled from a hat. Queen Elizabeth just called there a few weeks ago and it was fine and considering the ships and their drafts are the same it should make no difference. Other Vista class ships have called there since and have reported no problems. I could see if it needed dredging but the other ships still call so it couldn't be that. I could see there being too many ships in port that day to accommodate and they dont like the idea of tendering but the way it is worded just doesn't seem right to me.

I like the idea of Cunard having "excuse of the day".

It seems to explain a lot about shoreside!

WD

This has been under discussion on the Roll Call thread for about a week now. If you're going on the cruise and are looking for consensus on activities you should wander over there.

The reason given by Cunard in the official announcement (a copy was provided by my TA) said that there were more ships in port in Curacao than they had anticipated and so Bonaire was substituted to give passengers a better port day experience. Nothing about inadequate draft (but it could be that the QV would not have had a berth and would have had to tender).

Bonaire is about diving and snorkeling. There's also good sighting of wildlife including wild flamingoes which fly in from Venezuela every day to feed from the salt ponds and fly home at sunset every night. But if you've ever thought about snorkeling you should do it in Bonaire.

A quick look at the website showed that Curacao has been replaced with Bonaire. A call to Cunard confirmed it. The nice man on the phone said that the port in Curacao is too small for the ship (didn't they check that in advance?), and the waters not suitable for tendering.

For my part, I have no preference--Curacao looked interesting, and so does Bonaire. I know the ship has the perogative to change ports, but was still surprised. So, what's fun to do in Bonaire?

Plenty enough draft in Curacao asd i was there last month on the Westerdam (HAL) which is the same size ship as the QV. Bonaire is not nearly as interesting as Curacao IMHO. In Curacao there is limited berthing facilities for ships. I suspect more than two ships there at one time could be a problem.

The QM2 went to Curacao on my trip in 2009, and I think she docked there next to a large port shopping and restaurant facility. No tenders... so I doubt seriously that's the issue with QV. See here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=74318155280&set=a.74309665280.99147.730410280

Bonaire is very different - but its still a lovely port. (and I'd completely buy the reason of too many ships in port. Its THAT season)

~tammy

Archived