Red eye flight with kids??

CruiserNic

My kids will be 8 & 10. Both are great sleepers, as in, when they are tired, they are tired and will sleep anywhere they can. I want to do the AOS out of San Juan. We could either be in the air all day and basically waste a day, or we could leave Vegas at 10 PM and arrive in SJ at noon the next day with a stop in ATL on the way. So, would you do it?? Have you done it?? I know that it really depends on the personalities of the kids, but I am interested in other people thoughts/experiences. Thanks!!

The question is, how do YOU sleep on a flight (with a layover in the middle??) You may not "waste a day" traveling, but you may waste the 1st day of your cruise, being tired and grumpy!

I would much prefer arriving in SJ the day prior, getting a hotel and heading to the ship after check-out time at the hotel!

My kids will be 8 & 10. Both are great sleepers, as in, when they are tired, they are tired and will sleep anywhere they can. I want to do the AOS out of San Juan. We could either be in the air all day and basically waste a day, or we could leave Vegas at 10 PM and arrive in SJ at noon the next day with a stop in ATL on the way. So, would you do it?? Have you done it?? I know that it really depends on the personalities of the kids, but I am interested in other people thoughts/experiences. Thanks!!

Yes, I've done it. Redeye-Los Angeles/Chicago/San Juan. Here's what I recommended - take the redeye, arrive in San Juan at noon the day prior to your cruise, check into a hotel for one night and board the ship the following day. Personally for me - no matter how much I sleep on an airplane you never get fully rested. Even if you do take the day flight you will have to do a 1 night forced overnight in San Juan since most of the flights arrive after 7PM and the ship sails at 8:30PM. That's cutting it way too close. Plus this ensures you getting to the ship in plenty of time due to flight delays/missed connections/weather issues/lost luggage, etc. Take this advised from an experienced cruisers since 1980. :)

We would be flying out Fri night and arriving Sat afternoon and would board the ship on Sun. I have done a red eye before (without my kids) and then spent the day touring around Florida. I did not sleep on the plane and was OK until about 8 that night when I passed right out. Apparently, 36 hours of being awake is my max! I don't usually require a lot of sleep and I know that I can push through because I will be boarding a ship to paradise the next day!!

My parents took us on a red-eye to Paris when we were that age. We were exhausted upon arrival, and we still remember the fact that my mother put us on a tour bus to see the city that same day!!! Now, we were fortunate to experience such a wonderful trip, and we have great memories, but we wish mom had let us rest that first day.

We have flown overnight to Europe three times with our children. We all manage to get some sleep on the plane albeit a restless sleep. When arriving the next day we drop off our luggage and get out in the sunlight and fresh air and we've always managed to get through the day and just go to bed a little early that night. I find that it only takes a day or so to adjust to the time difference that way (and you won't be crossing as many time zones). If the flights work better for you and you think your kids will be able to sleep on the plane then go for it.

Lisa

I love red eyes when I am travelling with my daughter. She is three and travelling at times when she is likely to be sleeping is a lot easier on me then trying to entertain her in a confined space. I take the red eye 2 days before the ship though. That way the entire next day we can situated before we board.

• 1 month later...

I've done it a few times it was great for DH and the kids but I was exhausted, and it took 2-3 days to really recover. I've also had problems with the non-sleeper due to the excitement of the trip, which left both of us tired and cranky for days. Good luck whatever you decide!

I have been taking red-eyes with my 3 kids since they were born....since we live in Brazil and my family lives in the USA , they have been flying internationally since they were babies. We´ve also visited Europe several times with them.

Quite frankly , I MUCH prefer taking red-eyes with them than facing hours of kids being awake and confined in a plane!

Normally , our flights are over 10 hours with layovers of a couple of hours and then an additional flight to our final destination.

Strategies:

I tell them that they must sleep! It is a rule! When the lights go out , it is time!Since our flights leave around their bedtimes , it works out really well. They have their little activity backpacks to keep them busy until the lights , or they might watch a movie. Then , blankets , pillows and sleep.

Incredibly , they usually only wake up when breakfast is served and when we are preparing to land. They don´t really seem to feel the effects the next day ...

However , I sleep terrribly , usually because my youngest ends up kind of laying on top of me , lol. I like to rest the day I arrive , after a nice shower and some lunch. A good 2 hour nap while kids watch t.v does wonders. Then I am ready to be human again.

Good luck , I am sure you will be peasantly surprised...it isn´t that bad.

Kim

Archived