New HAL Cruiser - Open Dining Question

Lilycat2010

Hello! My husband and I are taking our first HAL cruise on the New Amsterdam on 3/20. We have signed up for Open Dining. On vacation, we're pretty anti-schedule, so open seating sounds perfect for us. We've only cruised one other time, and it was on NCL.

So, here's my question - my husband is also rather opposed to sitting with others at meals. He really enjoys quiet time together and while I'm sure we'd meet lovely people, I know he'll pretty much always want a 2 top. Just the way he is! How accessible are they in Open Dining? Would there be long waits? We generally like to eat a bit later - maybe anywhere from 7:30 - 8:30. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciate. I'll need to set his expectations prior to the cruise!

The peak time for Open Seating is between about 6:15 and 7:30. You should not have a problem getting a 2-top as a walk-in outside of that block. You can call in the morning and reserve a 2-top, but that defeats some of your wish for flexibility.

And don't apologize for your husband - hubster and I prefer a 2-top, as well. We don't go on vacation to meet people - we go on vacation to re-connect. We both have jobs dealing with people at their worst - we support computer software. ;) It's nice to just chill with each other and not have to put on our game faces.

My husband is very much like yours. We didn't have any problem on the Volendam getting table for 2. We did sit with others on 2 occasions, but after the first night or so, the Maitre D knew us by name and made sure we had a table to 2. Some mornings we knew what time we wanted to go so made a booking but found 8pm was a really good time to go as it was quieter and more chance of table for 2. Same with Breakfast.

My husband is the same. He is too funny. We used to live in a subdivision, very friendly, and when we would go for a walk around the neighborhood my husband would prep me ahead of time to just not make eye contact. That way we wouldn't have to stop and chat with any neighbors. :o

Anyway, he really is a great guy, he just has to deal with people all the time for work and for relaxation he just wants some quiet time. We are celebrating our 23rd anniversary on the Veendam :D. When we cruise we usually eat in the Lido but sometimes we like to order room service and eat in our room. This worked the best when we were in a SY. If you order within the first hour or so (I can't remember the exact timeframe) you can order whatever is being served in the MDR that evening and room service will bring it to you. I like to check out the menu ahead of time. The chilled soups are very tasty. :)

Diane

Sadly -- some people here have reported that many of the tables for 2 are used early in the evening and are not reset for a second sitting.

Surely they would put a twosome alone at a four-top, then? It sort of defeats the purpose of open dining if you're compelled to sit with others because you avoided the rush hour.

So, here's my question - my husband is also rather opposed to sitting with others at meals. He really enjoys quiet time together and while I'm sure we'd meet lovely people, I know he'll pretty much always want a 2 top. Just the way he is! How accessible are they in Open Dining? Would there be long waits? We generally like to eat a bit later - maybe anywhere from 7:30 - 8:30. Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciate. I'll need to set his expectations prior to the cruise!

he sounds a lot like my husband!!

We have done open on the Noordam all three times.

Be flexible with the time you eat, and call for reservations in the morning. What we understood, is that they will time the reservations, so that when you get there to eat the previous guests will have left and the table will be reset for you with little or no wait.

We actually picked the table we liked because of the location and the staff, then asked for it with a time range. They were able to do this for us every night with no problem. We even got to invite people we met on the threads to eat with us, because it was a table for 4:).

Have a great cruise!

Archived