Hair Braids

happycruizer

I saw a previous posts on braiding check the search option for posts on this . Maybe it will answer questions I found it interesting .

Some things I never thought of

it hurts to get braids

people have gotten lice bring own comb

and the cost varies

..and always confirm price first WITH the beads that you want. They like to give you a box of beads to look through while they are braiding, and then tell you after the fact that the ones you picked out costs more. Not on Nassau, but one of the other islands, our 2 daughters had some braiding done, and the $40 for both that was quoted turned into $60 after the fact...

go to a black beautician and get your braids done at home before the trip :-) about $25 for a full head in the Atlanta area.

If you are just wanting a few braids, I would do it for free if you were nearby.

White people get ripped off by island hair braiders. I think it is comical.

We would NEVER pay $3-4 for a single braid lol!!!

go to a black beautician and get your braids done at home before the trip :-) about $25 for a full head in the Atlanta area.

If you are just wanting a few braids, I would do it for free if you were nearby.

White people get ripped off by island hair braiders. I think it is comical.

We would NEVER pay $3-4 for a single braid lol!!!

Too funny :). We went to Disney one year and a single braid/wrap w/ beads on just the end was around $25 each....yes we spent it.

That next summer a friend of ours whose daughter was on the same softball team as my girls braided their entire head for free. You are correct about the black beauticians they know how to braid. She is and those were the absolute tightest braids I ever saw. She did the entire ball team that night and I commend her for it because it took her forever to do :).

Strange but true - this reply is from a dad

I took dd to Nassau several times on cruises traveling as a single parent and dd had her hair braided every time with money she earned and saved. Hair longer than shoulder length she would get whole head done. This was typically 2 hours or longer.

- First couple of times had it done at the place just off the pier where many vendors set up and many tourists get it done. There are posted prices. I negotiated the price and never paid anything close to the posted prices. When the job was done and they tried to jack the price I just asked where the nearest policeman was and that ended that line of discussion. If there was no attempt to jack the price, it was typically reflected in the tip. Usually the person who started needed to call in a relief braider as they'd underestimate the size of the job. I'd sit right there and if the braids started growing, I'll tell them to stop and do it over. Never had an issue with 'cleanliness'. Biggest down side was sitting outside on a little stool for a couple of hours.

- Later discovered that we could walk down the street and find a sign to a local beauty shop. We'd walk in and again negotiate a price. Still took two hours or more and dad still sat and watched like a hawk and they typically still needed to call in help/relief; but dd was in a nice salon chair and it was in a/c! ... at the same price . . .

- also have had it done on a line's private island (DCL/CC) but there was no negotiating on this one. Line had set the price and that was that . . . no hassle but the most expensive.

- When time to remove - conditioner is your friend. Soak the head in a LOT of conditioner and let it soak in well. The braids come out easy if you've soaked long enough. With new braids be very cautious of sunburn .. you may be exposing skin that's never seen the sun!

Archived