Jeddah Day Tours

pjn1

Has anyone visited Jeddah on a day tour yet. WE are due to visit in May and at $459USD for 8 hours we are wondering if its good value for money. Appreciate any comments. Thanks

I must admit that I didn't know cruise ships ported at Jeddah. I lived in Saudi Arabia from 81-85 (Riyadh), but visited Jeddah about twice a year. I worked for the Army Corps of Engineers. Jeddah has probably grown quite a bit since then, but frankly, I cannot imagine spending anywhere near that kind of money to visit Jeddah. Sure there is an are with some older buildings, but most of the city has been built since the real oil money kicked in during the 70s.

What sites are included in the excursion? Mecca is not real far from there, but unless you are a muslim, you cannot go there.

Thanks for that tour includes walk around old city, souk, fountain, monuments, museum, corniche and red sea visit with seafood lunch. It appears the half day tour does almost the same without lunch for half the price so will give that a go. have a look at Princess web site for Singpaore to Rome 28 days great tour.

Thanks for that tour includes walk around old city, souk, fountain, monuments, museum, corniche and red sea visit with seafood lunch. It appears the half day tour does almost the same without lunch for half the price so will give that a go. have a look at Princess web site for Singpaore to Rome 28 days great tour.

pjn1, I took a look at the Princess excursions. I don't want to throw cold water on your enjoyment. I cannot imagine any excursion that would cost $459 for a one day trip. The Saudis are very funny about allowing people in their country. The visa cost may be part of the expense.

In any event, if you have never been to an arab country, it would be interesting, but nothing like going to Egypt. If you decide to take an excursion, I would go for the least expensive. Also, shopping for gold at the gold suk may be of interest. You pay by the gram of the weight of the gold, and there is very little markup for the workmanship. Most of the jewelry is made in Italy. The jewelry is 21 carat gold (more gold content than you find in the USA). Still, know what the per gram price of gold is, and be sure to bargain with the merchants.

I guess you probably don't have the option of a local tour company, since you probably would need a visa?

I must admit that I didn't know cruise ships ported at Jeddah. I lived in Saudi Arabia from 81-85 (Riyadh), but visited Jeddah about twice a year. I worked for the Army Corps of Engineers. Jeddah has probably grown quite a bit since then, but frankly, I cannot imagine spending anywhere near that kind of money to visit Jeddah. Sure there is an are with some older buildings, but most of the city has been built since the real oil money kicked in during the 70s.

What sites are included in the excursion? Mecca is not real far from there, but unless you are a muslim, you cannot go there.

I lived in Saudi Arabia in 1985 (Yanbu), and we had to go through Jeddah all the time to get anywhere. Like 4774 Papa says, Jeddah is a very modern city. The Corniche is absolutely lovely, and there is a bit of an old centre, but to pay 459 for that? Probably the visa is taking up a lot of the money....

• 1 month later...

We are the same tour as Pjn1 and have booked the half day tour which turns out to be only 2.5 hours for 249USD per person. This does not include the visa of 55 USD as far as we understand. I think that is extra.

Archived