Toursaver book/coupons?

FinallyAlaska

Which one is better to get?

Hard to say. I would look at the coupon site and see which one suits your needs. One year I found all my coupons in the Northern Lights book. Another year I purchased both books. For 2011, I am only purchasing the TourSaver book. The books have always saved me a substantial amount of money.

Karen

Here is a few things that I learned about purchasing the guide and I hope that the information helps others:

1) Look up the coupons that you might want to use online and call each of the businesses in which you want to use a coupon. Ask them about availabilty, as most tour companies only allow 'one coupon per tour.' That means that of all the people on a tour, only one person can use the coupon.

You would want to know this information before spending the money on purchasing the book.

2) If there is indeed availablity for coupon usage on the day you will be in that port, ask them if you can book ahead of time and give them the book number later. Most coupons state that you have to give them the book number at the time of booking, but I would try to do it anyway to ensure my spot for being able to still use the coupon.

Do not book without being able to use the coupon as most companies charge 10% of the tour fee to cancel and rebook. Ask each individual tour operator about their policies for cancelling or even rebooking. Some of the tour operators told me that their would even be a charge for changing our tour times!

2) Read the FINE PRINT on each of the coupons.

I did not read the fine print on the main coupon that I wanted to use (ERA Helicopters in Juneau, value $279, 2 for one coupon). After having received the book, I quickly called ERA to make my reservation only to learn that the coupon was not good on Mondays, the very day that we were to be in that port!

Example of the fine print:

"Available Tue-Sun at: 12 :30p and 6: 30p. Space is limited to one coupon per departure. Advance reservations required. Must mention coupon when making reservations and provide coupon book number."

3) Make sure that you are AWARE OF YOUR PORT TIMES when making a booking. You would not want to book a whale watching tour at 11 am if your ship is not scheduled to be in that port until 2 pm!

Vice versa, don't book flightseeing that won't get you back to the ship until 6 pm if your ship is scheduled to leave that port at 6 pm. Most ships expect you to be back 30 minutes early to ship departure, check with your individual cruiseline.

I booked at 3 pm flightseeing tour with Taquan Air in Ketchikan using the Toursaver 2 for 1 coupon. The tour operators state that they will have us back to the ship by 5:15 pm (ship departs at 6 pm). While I am a little worried about the close call, Taquan assures me that they do these tours all the time and that we will not be late.

Taquan reps say that they also have other passengers from my cruise scheduled on my flight (ones who booked throught the cruiseline). As you know, the ship guarantees people who book tours throuh their cruiseline that they will not leave without them. I am hoping that since we are with them, that everything will be fine! *holds breath*

__________________________________________________ ________

Those are the main points of using the Alaskan Toursaver guide that I can think of for now. If anyone else has any other useful pointers, please feel free to add to the list!

Good luck and Happy Travels to all

Good luck and Happy Travels to all

Good post Sailkeywest.

We purchased the Northernlights book. It seemed to be a little better for us since we live here.

Another option is Groupon. Doesn't cost anything to subscribe and they will email deals to you. We just bought a snowmachine tour around Portage Glacier for half price through Groupon.

Archived