TV connections

sengil

My DH and I will be on the Oosterdam on April 2, 2011. He likes to bring a hard drive which has movies and sports that he has recorded. Does anyone know if there is either a HDMI connection or a component video on the flat screen TV's in the room?

My DH and I will be on the Oosterdam on April 2, 2011. He likes to bring a hard drive which has movies and sports that he has recorded. Does anyone know if there is either a HDMI connection or a component video on the flat screen TV's in the room?

I have not seen HDMI connections on HAL. However, in all fairness it's not like I've looked more than once. We were on the Volendam a couple of years ago after they'd gone through the upgrade to flat screen TV's and I wanted to preview some video I'd shot. Try as I might I couldn't get to the connectors on the back side of the flat screen as HAL had installed a brace to keep the flat screen from falling over and it blocked the access panel. I could tell it was component video out of the DVD player but that was about all. That particular LG flat screen didn't have video inputs on the side or front so I couldn't hook the camera up that way either. It's hard to say where HAL is now as the technology moves so fast that what was true a year ago or even a couple of months ago may not be true today.

Just curious -- could you get to the back of the DVD player?

If so, you could unplug the DVD and attach a male to female converter to the cable going to the TV. Then plug your camera or other device into to that into that.

Is it component (3 video two audio) or composite (1 video two audio)? Either way, they're just RCA connectors.

Just a thought

Yes, you could pull the DVD player out but I didn't have the converter cables with me. While they're made and you can buy them they're not standard equipment you get in the typical video camera package. :( Now we'll use my wife's new Sony DSLR that shots both stills and video instead of hauling along the video camera and I would now need a USB connection so you can't win. :)

USB - is a lot more complicated than RCA connections -- most of the newest DVD players now have USB inputs for pictures and videos (especially Bluray) I'm sure that wouldn't help on a ship unit.

The RCA coupler idea might help someone else -- they are very small and very cheap.S1B56.jpg

I haven't seen Blu-ray machines on HAL yet but even then the USB inputs on mine are for Internect connection not other input. That said the OP is looking for HDMI or component and I think component is the answer to her question. Getting to it or having the right converters or connectors is the real issue and potential problem.

usually it's an RJ45 connection for the internet, although my ancient TIVO has a USB interface to connect to the internet.

It will be a while before ships have internet connected DVD or TV's -- love my Netflix, but not at 75 cents a minute :eek:

usually it's an RJ45 connection for the internet, although my ancient TIVO has a USB interface to connect to the internet.

My Blu-rays have both RJ45 and the USB. The USB is for wireless Internet and takes an additional external USB dongle device on the two newer models. On my older model the USB is for external storage and I'm not sure you can address the stored information through the DVD player, I've never tried that. If you could then that might work.

I've gotten two new Blurays lately a Sony and a Vizio - they were both only $100 to $130 - They both access media through the USB - very cool. You select the media through the player's menu.

I paid almost $500 for my first Sony DVD player - it's a boat anchor now :(

Archived