Traveling with teens during school schedule?

dfmeeks

OP

There is a very long thread about the pros and cons of taking children out of school for cruises. The views on both sides are very passionate. You are going to do what you feel is the right thing to do, without regard to what anyone says. Keep in mind that if you take your child out of school, if the teachers allow make up work that you are creating a LOT of extra work for teacher all of whom are already under paid and over worked, so make sure that you bring them all some very nice gifts when you return.

The reasons to take a child on vacation during the school year are many and varied. Sometimes it is merely about cost. Sometimes it is about vacation time (i.e., with both parents typically working, it isn't always possible for both to get vacation time at the same time, and during the prime demand times of summer, winter vacation or spring break). Sometimes it is about an opportunity that only arises at a particular time. In my opinion, the opportunity to travel as a family far outweighs any possible disadvantage from missing a few days of class.

I also have to disagree with the above-poster's view that asking for accommodation creates a LOT (zqvol's emphasis) of extra work for teachers. Having many friends and family who are teachers, their input to me is that if they are adequately prepared as a teacher with appropriate lesson plans and instructional materials, it is an insignificant task to hand it out to a student in advance. In fact, in my experience, teachers seem to appreciate when students take the initiative in asking for work and go to the effort of completing it when they are away. It shows an enthusiasm for learning and an appreciation that it is easier for the teacher to prepare in advance, then try to deal with after the fact.

Some teachers are very much appreciated and some feel underappreciated. And I think there's a reason why.

Archived