Traveling with teens during school schedule?

dfmeeks

Due to the big differences in cost, DH & I are kicking around planning a vacation during the school year. I'm not worried about DD's grades as she is an A student & can either make up her work or complete it prior to vacation. My concern is that there will be no teens for her to hang around with.

Have any of you gone a cruise with your teen during the school year? I know the amount of teens traveling will be nothing like during the breaks but are there kids on the cruise?

Thanks for your input!

I cruised in October last year and saw a few teens here and there - my 16 yr old son and I are going to be on the Ecstasy over Easter weekend, I'm thinking there will probably be a few more than before, but not too many altogether.

Even a off season cruise date, will have 400 to 800 children typically onboard. Luckily they have camp carnival so most arent riding up and down the elevators. (teens seem to feel sitting in the back of the glass elevators is their form of entertaiment)

We took my 17 year old last May out of NY and there were 25 in her age group. Unfortunately she didn't find any friends, but there are always SOME kids aboard.

We often cruise in the beginning of Nov. One of those weeks (I believe it's when Veteran's Day falls), New Jersey has 2 additional days off from school for staff enrichment or something. Alot of NJ people cruise that week since their kids only miss 2 days of school (and the rates are still good).

Due to the big differences in cost, DH & I are kicking around planning a vacation during the school year. I'm not worried about DD's grades as she is an A student & can either make up her work or complete it prior to vacation. My concern is that there will be no teens for her to hang around with.

Have any of you gone a cruise with your teen during the school year? I know the amount of teens traveling will be nothing like during the breaks but are there kids on the cruise?

Thanks for your input!

We don't have teenagers but have noticed an abundance them on almost any cruise we have been on. There are so many schooling options these days, Home school, internet school, etc that lends more flexability to families. We were surprised when a cruise a few years back had tons of teenagers. Seems that schools had started the new "Fall break" in October. We normally sail in spring and fall both times when school is normally in session. I just bet you will find teens on your cruise.

We cruised last year with the kids (during school) and I'm not sure I would do that again. We cruised the week after Thanksgiving break week, so I had my elementary student do all of his make-up work during the school's vacation time. It kind of sucked for him, but he was caught up and ready to go when we returned. My junior high student was a little different. The teachers were really cool about him missing school, and he is an A student in the accelerated/GATE program, but they couldn't give him much work in advance. He had a ton of catch-up work to do when he returned to school. They loved the cruise and we saved a TON of money traveling during school time, but it was a pain for schoolwork. I think the older they get, the harder that part gets.

On our particular cruise, there were very few tweens and teens on the cruise. He was bored in the program and ended up hanging out with us or his brother.

We went in January, right after the kids went back to school. My daughter is 13 , and she had about 15 kids in her circle c program. She had a blast and made some great friends. They give each child a paper to take around on the last night to get emails/facebook pages so that the kids can keep in touch if they want to. Since my daughters teacher knew ahead of time, she was able to spend Christmas vacation getting most of her work done, and then was not slammed when she got back. Enjoy whatever cruise you pick!!!:D

Are either of your teens taking a foreign language that they might be able to "practice" while on your trip? If so, have a chat with their teachers (social sciences and foreign languages, specifically). They may actually be able to get extra credit for cruising during the school year.

My middle daughter was able to work something out with her history teacher allowing her to put together a presentation on Mayan culture and in addition to the regular work she made up, she actually received 50 EC points for the presentation she gave to the class - the class was getting ready to do a unit on the history of the Americas focusing on Aztec and Mayan culture, so the photos, information, and interviews she obtained while on vacation actually helped the students become more interested in the material - the teacher told her it made teaching the unit more fun because the students actually became involved in the unit instead of "just learning and burning" the information.

My parents took me out for vacations/cruises during school. Never a problem. The make up work took 10% of the time the 'busy work' in class would have taken. Never had a problem keeping up, grades didn't suffer. Travel is a better education that 90% of what they teach you in school, IMO.

OP

There is a very long thread about the pros and cons of taking children out of school for cruises. The views on both sides are very passionate. You are going to do what you feel is the right thing to do, without regard to what anyone says. Keep in mind that if you take your child out of school, if the teachers allow make up work that you are creating a LOT of extra work for teacher all of whom are already under paid and over worked, so make sure that you bring them all some very nice gifts when you return.

OP

Keep in mind that if you take your child out of school, if the teachers allow make up work that you are creating a LOT of extra work for teacher all of whom are already under paid and over worked, so make sure that you bring them all some very nice gifts when you return.

This is true. My mom was telling her teacher friend about my son completing the whole packet his teacher prepared. She said that she hates taking the time to gather all the papers, as most kids barely even touch them.

Thanks for your input!

When we sailed Miracle in October 2009, we saw a small handful of teens on the ship. Though they we not causing havoc of any kind, they did hang around the staircases a lot. Didn't see them in any kind of organized activities, perhaps by their choices. There were lots of pre-school aged and younger. When Carnival indicates the number of children on a particular sailing, they count ages 6 months to 18.

As a mother myself, I have a question for you-have you asked your kids how they feel about missing school for vacation? Our sons never would have wanted to miss an entire week of school because the make-up work would have been so stressful. Even just missing three days for the Jewish High Holidays caused angst about making up tests and homework. They were both straight A students, in the tops of their classes.

We cruised last year with the kids (during school) and I'm not sure I would do that again. We cruised the week after Thanksgiving break week, so I had my elementary student do all of his make-up work during the school's vacation time. It kind of sucked for him, but he was caught up and ready to go when we returned. My junior high student was a little different. The teachers were really cool about him missing school, and he is an A student in the accelerated/GATE program, but they couldn't give him much work in advance. He had a ton of catch-up work to do when he returned to school. They loved the cruise and we saved a TON of money traveling during school time, but it was a pain for schoolwork. I think the older they get, the harder that part gets.

On our particular cruise, there were very few tweens and teens on the cruise. He was bored in the program and ended up hanging out with us or his brother.

That's what I was afraid of! Plus, she plays varsity volleyball so it would have to be during non-play season. I'm wondering if we went either a wk before or after spring break. I'm sure not all schools go the same week.

Are either of your teens taking a foreign language that they might be able to "practice" while on your trip? If so, have a chat with their teachers (social sciences and foreign languages, specifically). They may actually be able to get extra credit for cruising during the school year.

My middle daughter was able to work something out with her history teacher allowing her to put together a presentation on Mayan culture and in addition to the regular work she made up, she actually received 50 EC points for the presentation she gave to the class - the class was getting ready to do a unit on the history of the Americas focusing on Aztec and Mayan culture, so the photos, information, and interviews she obtained while on vacation actually helped the students become more interested in the material - the teacher told her it made teaching the unit more fun because the students actually became involved in the unit instead of "just learning and burning" the information.

What a great idea!! Tess is taking Spanish II now and another year next year. That may work!!

OP

There is a very long thread about the pros and cons of taking children out of school for cruises. The views on both sides are very passionate. You are going to do what you feel is the right thing to do, without regard to what anyone says. Keep in mind that if you take your child out of school, if the teachers allow make up work that you are creating a LOT of extra work for teacher all of whom are already under paid and over worked, so make sure that you bring them all some very nice gifts when you return.

Never mind.......

We are booked on the Pride for May 15th. We checked into summer cruises but would not be able to afford it. Both my children (ages 10 and 16) are very excited about the trip. We're going to see if we can get their work ahead of time. I think if they worked at least an hour a day they could make good headway on keeping up. Hoping there will be enough other children in their age groups that they might be able to make some new friends.

OP

I understand what you're saying & you're correct that they are underpaid & overworked. They're also not as appreciated as a group as they should be. I always show appreciation to my daughter's teachers but bringing gifts back would surely be in order! Thanks for the reminder!

When we sailed Miracle in October 2009, we saw a small handful of teens on the ship. Though they we not causing havoc of any kind, they did hang around the staircases a lot. Didn't see them in any kind of organized activities, perhaps by their choices. There were lots of pre-school aged and younger. When Carnival indicates the number of children on a particular sailing, they count ages 6 months to 18.

As a mother myself, I have a question for you-have you asked your kids how they feel about missing school for vacation? Our sons never would have wanted to miss an entire week of school because the make-up work would have been so stressful. Even just missing three days for the Jewish High Holidays caused angst about making up tests and homework. They were both straight A students, in the tops of their classes.

I did ask her. She responded that she wouldn't want to miss an entire week but, if it could fall partially on a weekend & maybe be a 4 or 5 day cruise, it would be fine. It also couldn't be during volleyball season.

We are booked on the Pride for May 15th. We checked into summer cruises but would not be able to afford it. Both my children (ages 10 and 16) are very excited about the trip. We're going to see if we can get their work ahead of time. I think if they worked at least an hour a day they could make good headway on keeping up. Hoping there will be enough other children in their age groups that they might be able to make some new friends.

Please write a review (w/pics of course!) and let us know if it went well. I hope you have a great time!

I did ask her. She responded that she wouldn't want to miss an entire week but, if it could fall partially on a weekend & maybe be a 4 or 5 day cruise, it would be fine. It also couldn't be during volleyball season.

You have a smart daughter who doesn't want to miss a week of school work/social activities/sports responsibilities. Good for her.

Good luck making a hard decision.

That's what I was afraid of! Plus, she plays varsity volleyball so it would have to be during non-play season. I'm wondering if we went either a wk before or after spring break. I'm sure not all schools go the same week.

Spring break runs from the end of Feb until April. Google Spring Breaks for 2011 and you will see different periods. Don't forget that there is the family that choose to home school there childeren, so they will be cruising when the mood strikes and not worry about having to make-up work. The cruise for them could be a field trip!

Spring break runs from the end of Feb until April. Google Spring Breaks for 2011 and you will see different periods. Don't forget that there is the family that choose to home school there childeren, so they will be cruising when the mood strikes and not worry about having to make-up work. The cruise for them could be a field trip!

I was homeschooled until high school, we had many 'field trips' to Costa Rica, Alaska, cruises, etc. I learned allot traveling when I was younger.

Just moved to California from New England and the school vacation calendar is way different here. We start school in July! So not all schools have vacation at the same time. I did take my kids out of school for vacation when they were younger as it was always cheaper and they always had a great time with other kids.

Archived