Does everyone buy snokelling equipment before boarding?

qiqiangzhu

How often do you plan on using the Snorkeling/Scuba Gear?? You can go to Walmart or Target and buy cheap stuff (which i wouldn't recommend) or you can go to any Scuba Diving Shop and they will fit you with a great Mask, Snorkel and Fins if you choose to do that. I use to scuba dive and there is lots of great brands out there ---U.S Divers, Scuba Pro just to name a couple. Lots of styles and price ranges out there. Good luck and with a little research you won't need to spend a ton of $$$$ Mark

We got ours a few years ago at the website of snorkel mart. We used this site, which is excellent by the way, because we needed corrective lenses for our masks. I have a very high corrective lens and really need the corrective mask. We also just ordered again to get a snorkel vest and ultra dry snorkel for my son who will be learning how to snorkel on our upsoming sruise. You can't normally find these things at Wal-Mart or other discount store. :cool:

They do sanitize the equipment that is rented...I mean, you eat from utensils others have eaten from...you drink from glasses that others lips have been on, sleep on sheets others have slept on....they soak the equip. in a bleach solution...it's clean!

There's no real need to buy your own stuff, unless you will be doing it often!

I agree with those who asked how often you would be using the equipment and the need for the best. Scuba diving friend also recommended the Body Glove from Costco.:)

BTW, don't count on rental equipment being clean. It is not washed in HOT water like utensils or sheets but rather most times dunked in a bucket of who knows what solution. :eek:

I wouldn't use a used snorkel, but that is just me. I bought Body Glove ones at Sam's a few years ago. I've bought the kids body glove ones at Academy sports. They are kinda bulky to carry on but we always drive to the port so we don't have to fly with them.

I had the Body Gove snorkel set and it was terrible...the mask did nothing but leak and it was so annoying while I was snorkeling to have my mask constantly fill up with water. I've learned my lesson and am going to spend a little more to get a quality mask. I've also learned that it's really important to make sure that the mask fits really well...it's supposed to stick to your face without the strap or you holding it.

Which brand/store can you get the best snokelling equipment in the US?

I ordered the US Diver set from Amazon, it arrived today and it looks and feels good. I looked at SAMs & BJ's and didn't find them at either place this year.

I laughed when my sister told me she was buying her own snorkel as we could get a loan set on our tour. I assumed they were all sanatized etc. We got back from the tour early and sat and watched everyone washing their snorkel masks etc in a bucket of sanitiser and then the crew hang them up to dry for the next time. All good until we saw 4 seperate couples clean their snorkel and then stand in the tub and wash their feet....YUK!!!

Went out next time and bought my own US Divers set from local sports store for $39.95 and have used it for the past three holidays. Money well spent and they don't take up that much room in the case.

do yourself a favor, at least buy a snorkel and mask that works for you, get a mask that fits YOU. As in previous posts, if you ever watched them sanitize these items in the bucket you will forever be changed by this event! we originally bought the fins, snorkel and mask. now, after lugging the fins around, we opted to just bring the mask/snorkel and use fins on the excursion.

cheers.

just answered this on another area I have the body glove backpack type thing carries the fins mask and most inportant my snorkel that has only been in my mouth, as a dental assistant I would highly advise you to at least get your own mask and snorkel mines from costco love it

Archived