Any economic and safe parking lot in Fort Lauderdale, FL?

qiqiangzhu

On our last cruise aboard Princess from Ft Lauderdale, we left our car parked in the port parking garage without a problem. I think it cost somewhere around $120 a week? The ONLY problem was we didn't park it far enough into the parking garage and the car got dirty from sand and elements that blasted in from the wind and rain around the sides. Other than that, our car was safe.

Thanks.

How did you find the nearest Port parking garage to your ship? Did you contact the Cruise company beforehand?

On our last cruise aboard Princess from Ft Lauderdale, we left our car parked in the port parking garage without a problem. I think it cost somewhere around $120 a week? The ONLY problem was we didn't park it far enough into the parking garage and the car got dirty from sand and elements that blasted in from the wind and rain around the sides. Other than that, our car was safe.

I think we only asked the cruise company about the possibility of parking at the port, and we were assured we could. It was our first time driving to the port, so we winged everything because we had no idea where anything was. When we drove up to the Port of Ft Lauderdale entrance guard, we were directed to where our ship was docked.We had to show ID's and all that, so have everything handy. There are signs to the multi level parking garage, and plenty of port staff on ground to direct you to where you need to go or park. If I remember correctly (we were so confused that day, that details escape me! LOL), we were directed to where we dropped off our luggage with the porter before we parked our car. I think we made a few wrong turns before we got it right! lol In any case, there are plenty of people there to help and direct, and I think we made use of each and every one of them! :)

But as far as parking in Ft Lauderdale goes, I wouldn't imagine leaving my car anywhere else...unless you work it out with the hotel you booked pre/post-cruise to let you keep the car there.

Thanks.

How did you find the nearest Port parking garage to your ship? Did you contact the Cruise company beforehand?

I researched this quite a bit before our cruise out of FLL, and unfortunately the safe ones aren't economical and the economical ones aren't safe. These boards are full of horror stories regarding the "valet" style parking services in the area.

The only possible exception is hotel parking, but as is mentioned in the aforementioned threads, you cannot assume that just because your car is in a hotel lot that it is "safe". Most hotel lots are not gated or monitored in any way.

If you want safe, park at the port. It absolutely sucks that they charge so much (though FLL is a lot cheaper than MIA) but it is hands-down the safest place to park.

We stayed at the Hilton (Garden?) Inn about 8 miles from the port and they let us leave our car there for the week for free. They have a free shuttle service to the ship, too. The parking lot is gated -- Someone can walk to your car, but it couldn't be driven out.

Archived