Warnings

Not sure why you are asking this now because there are no RC ships cruising the MR......with that said, as in any port always be aware of your surroundings, don't stray off and never go alone just common sense.

Our PC cruise will port in Acapulco and Cabo San Lucas....we will most likely stay on the ship...been to both ports many times.

Adding edit......last April on a 11 day Mexico....there was some trouble in Acapulco and the Captain sent a letter to each cabin letting us know the circumstances of the trouble there, we had an excursion booked through the cruise line and we canceled it with no problem.

So yes they do advice you if there is any problems or concerns.

Why should they advise any more than normal common sense, they do not give warnings not to disembark the ship in Miami at the end of the cruise. Sure we hear some difficult stories about various ports, but for those that live in any majpr city, we all have risks everyday. Does anyone get a daily reminder not to cross the road without looking.

Are any of the RCI ships (or any ship) that stops at a Mexician port giving any warning annoucements before they let you off the ship?

Why should they advise any more than normal common sense, they do not give warnings not to disembark the ship in Miami at the end of the cruise. Sure we hear some difficult stories about various ports, but for those that live in any majpr city, we all have risks everyday. Does anyone get a daily reminder not to cross the road without looking.

Hmm, although some basic safety awareness is appropriate even walking to one's own mailbox, I think OP has a valid question and concern.

The main difference between anywhere in the USA and some foreign ports of call is that we enjoy rule of law here. We actually have working police departments, courts and a majority of citizens who are law abiding. If a crime is committed, there is legal recourse AND crime rates are much lower (even in Miami) than in some ports.

OP, most port visits are not usually prefaced with cautions from the crew, captain or RCL. For that reason, DH and I do our own research and make our decisions according to news and Department of State notices. We are not leaving the ship next week in Falmouth for those reasons.

It is too bad that 1/3 of ports on this cruise will be unavailable to us...I would prefer RCL to stop some place safer, but that is the itinerary which fit DH's schedule and vacation availability, so we will enjoy shipboard activities that day...and be safe while enjoying our vacation away from Michigan snow and cold.;)

Bingo! Houston is way worse than Cozumel at this point.

I will say that the west coast of Mexico is having a lot more trouble than the Yucatan. The border towns are the one really having the problem. Juarez is mostly a no go zone now. Sad as it used to be a fun town.

Just got off the Radiance. At our stop in Cozumel, the captain made an anouncement in all areas of the ship, including the cabins, about a crew member who had met with violence there 5 days earlier. He instructed us not to go off the beaten path. I have since learned that her murderer has been captured and was an aquaintance of hers. What a shame.

With the number of people visiting these ports and the number of people who live in these ports, there is the possiblity of problems. The number of problems is much lower than most American cities. I live within a few miles of DC.

People always mention Juarez which is having major drug problems but it is inland across the border from El Paso, TX more than 1,000 miles from the ports that most cruise ships stopped at.

Just got off the Radiance. At our stop in Cozumel, the captain made an anouncement in all areas of the ship, including the cabins, about a crew member who had met with violence there 5 days earlier. He instructed us not to go off the beaten path. I have since learned that her murderer has been captured and was an aquaintance of hers. What a shame.

We were on the same cruise and we heard the announcement by the captain. I did not hear that it was an aquaintance of hers though. We heard that she was raped and them murdered. Not sure if it is true but my heart goes out to her family and friends over this incident.:(

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the same cruise and we heard the announcement by the captain. I did not hear that it was an aquaintance of hers though. We heard that she was raped and them murdered. Not sure if it is true but my heart goes out to her family and friends over this incident.:(

Apparently my husband found that info out from another source. He also said she was a singer from Poland.

When we were in Costa Maya last month, we took an excursion to the Chacchoben Mayan ruins. It consisted of a bus ride about 40 miles to the West of the port.

About 30 miles out, we passed an Army checkpoint, complete with pill-boxes and machine guns.

The tour guide told us that the Costa Maya area (presumably due to the cruise ships) was designated as a no drugs and no weapons area, and that the road we were on was the only way in or out. The surrounding area consisted of jungle/swamp/mangroves, so it might indeed be the only way in or out.

Anyway, the Army checkpoint was there to make sure drugs and weapons did not reach port Costa Maya.

It is too bad that 1/3 of ports on this cruise will be unavailable to us...I would prefer RCL to stop some place safer, but that is the itinerary which fit DH's schedule and vacation availability, so we will enjoy shipboard activities that day...and be safe while enjoying our vacation away from Michigan snow and cold.;)

Well said! What ports did the ship stop and what ones did you get off at? Possibly some different than ours, yet I have not resolved a tour for Belize City yet with some of the same thoughts of safety.

Archived