Connection time at ORD

H2Otstr

I am flying from RDU to ORD on March 27, UA.

Leave RDU at 7:35 am and arrive at ORD at 8:55. Then I leave ORD at 10:32 for a flight to Shanghaii.

We will be arriving and leaving from Terminal 1. I was wondering what the distance is that we will need to walk to get from the arrival to the departure gates. My husband has some mobility problems (he can't walk FAST, no problem with distance) and I am not sure if I should request a wheelchair or a electric cart for the tranfer.

Any recommendations?

An hour and a half is a decent amount of time to make a connection at ORD on UA. Most of UA international flights leave out of Terminal 1 on the C concourse. Be sure to check, because if you are leaving out of Terminal 5, then you have to leave the secured area, catch the Tram to Terminal 5, & go back through security. That can take longer. How far you go will depend on where your flight from RDU comes in. If it is a United Express flight (aka small regional jet) you might come in Terminal 2 in the F concourse. If so, it is a little bit of a hike to Terminal 1. If you are on a full sized jet (aka 737) you will likely end up coming into Terminal 1 in either the B or C concourse and it is a short hike. I do recall there being a shuttle from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 and the C concourse. 90 minutes should be plenty of time, even for a someone who walks slower, so long as you are not leaving out of Terminal 5.

I'd request assistance with the transfer. If your plane arrives late, you wont have much time -- remember, for international flights you have to be on-board quite early (45 min before departure, I think).

United's international flights always leave from terminal 1 but return to the international terminal, terminal #5. The flight you are on from Raleigh to Chicago does come into terminal 1, which would be ideal for you. SHould there be a change of aircraft or a schedule change, though, and you do end up coming into terminal 2, there IS a shuttle between the 2 terminals but I don't remember what gate it leaves from.

I don't know if you can alter your tickets or not, but when we lived in Charlotte and flew to Hong Kong, we flew into Chicago the night before, stayed at one of the nearby hotels, and flew out the next day to Hong Kong. You can still get lots of weather in Chicago in March and I would hate to see you miss your Shanghai flight.

United runs a bus across the airfield from gate E2 in terminal #2 to gate C9 in the C concourse of terminal #1 ... for security purposes, passengers using that shuttle will need to present a valid boarding pass for their onward flight, as the bus does drive across the tarmac.

We only had a 2 hour connection at ORD this past summer, and I was worried about it as we had a full terminal change from T5 to T2. In actuality, it couldn't have been easier and we had more than enough time to grab coffee and breakfast in T2.

A refreshing change after numerous connections running through Toronto Pearson with a 2-hour window...

It seems awfully tight to me...we seldom have things go right at ORD, especially in winter.

We nearly missed our flight from ORD to YVR (in September !) because of fog. Never did get breakfast that day.

Archived