Message for Mighty Quinn

Semolina

You may have missed my post in answer to your question about Mark Eddowes. I had a conversation with him when we were in Huahine where he lives. He left the ship at this port and I asked him if he was on all the cruises. He said he was taking a break and would just be a guest lecturer for a while. I think he was feeling a bit burnt out and needed a change from being constantly on the ship.

Before we went on this cruise I had difficulty getting information from PG whether Mark was going to be doing tours and all they could tell me was he would be on the ship. I think if you want accurate information you will have to press someone higher up at PG because someone must know what Mark's plans are and what the ship has signed him up for.

I went to all his lectures onboard and thoroughly enjoyed them. He certainly knows what he is talking about. However the only land tour we had planned to go on with him was the one that was cancelled when we couldn't go ashore because of too much swell. I was very disappointed. Next time I plan to go on more tours with him if he is still working for PG.

Good luck

Jennifer

Semolina,

Thanks so much for the heads-up! I confirmed with PG that Mark Eddowes will be on our sailing but I'm less certain which (if any) tours he will lead. I'm finding it difficult to get hard info. I asked PG reservations but was told to check once we're on-board since they don't have such detail in advance. Doesn't make much sense unless they do a lot of last minute juggling.

I've read past reports that Mark has led almost all PG tours on Marquesas. I hope that will the case for us, but now have my doubts given your recent experience as well as your chat with him.

I think I'll take your advice and step it up a notch. Or maybe see what our TA can find out. Thanks again for alerting me. :):)

• 2 weeks later...
Mighty Quinn, Do you have any more info regarding Mark Eddowes?
Unfortunately not. At this point, Mark is only listed as leading a tour on Moorea but that could change. As Cruisedreamer mentioned, he usually leads something on Marquesas. If I learn anything more specific, I'll post it in our Roll Call.

I just called PG after I was reading all the shore excursions. They list Mark Eddowes on Moorea, but no where else. All they would say when I called was that he will be on board the ship, but didn't know which excursions he would lead. But his name is listed for Moorea. That's a start. (April 16 cruise)

I am not sure which itinerary you are going on but if you are going to Huahine I'm sure Mark will be there because it is the island where he lives. He has an ocean front home there and it is a small island. I can't imagine them going there and not involving Mark. I think he just wanted a break because he was feeling a bit burnt out.

Jennifer

Thanks Semolina! We're doing 7-nite Societies B2B with 14-nite Marquesas. PG staff just aren't willing to commit Mark to anything beyond Moorea. But I think you're right and we'll discover that he plays a bigger role in shore excursions once we're on-board. Huahine, Hiva Oa, Ua Huka, Huku Hiva and maybe even Fatu Hiva are likely prospects. I sure hope so! I'll report back when we return.

You are so lucky doing a back to back. One of these days I intend to do that.

If Mark isn't available then I imagine they will provide someone else with historical knowledge, but maybe he has had enough rest and will feel like setting off again. I bet that the Paul Gauguin management will be trying to get him back quickly because he is very popular.

There was one island that we didn't manage to get to because of a big swell. I think it was Hiva Oa. Sorry I get all the islands a bit muddled in my head. But the next island was only a couple of hours away and so they took us in the rafts up and down that coast and explained some of the history and terrain. Raft isn't the word I mean but it's another senior moment I'm afraid.

Archived