Same formal dress for both nights

I probably shouldn't even be asking this but is it okay to wear the same formal dress for both of the formal nights? Just wondering if I need to invest in another formal dress or outfit? I was very happy last night because I was able to find a wonderful dress and it's formal - goes to the floor. I just kept thinking as I tried it on how I wish my husband could see me in it (maybe he already has from a big picture window in heaven) anyway....I digress. I was so happy I found the perfect dress but then as I was driving home I wondered if I needed to get another outfit. I think it was one of those moments when I was able to tick something major off my shopping list and immediately started to fuss about something else to add back on.....sigh. Now, it's on to bathing suits...........another big sigh.

Summer

Face the simple truth.

You will never see these people at the table again in your life. You could care less what they are thinking of you or what you are thinking of them.

Wear what you are confortable in and what you want to wear.

How many men wear the same suit. The vast majority do and they do not worry about it. So why should you worry about what you are wearing twice. You are just doing what the men have been doing for years.

It is your vacation.

Dress properly for the event but so what if you wear it more than once.

Only problem with wearing it more than once is your own guilt and insecurity.

Wear it twice proudly and enjoy yourself.

If anybody actually cares that you wear it twice, they need a life. You obviously love the dress, so wear it twice! I don't know what color it is, but if you want to try to fool people or something, you could change the shoe color or jewelry. They'd probably never notice it was the same dress and it would alleviate your insecurity over it!

Yes, definitely. I am sure your husband would smile to see you in it twice.

I often wear the same capris more than once with different tops, and, as the previous poster said, men wear the same suit or tux, so why not a formal dress twice.

Im in with the rest of the girls, as long as you feel comfortable. I usually take a black formal dress and then a nice pair of black pants and some sparkly top for the 2nd formal night. There are lots of people who dont even dress up at all for formal night. My suggestion is the same...to change it alittle try different jewels! You can easily do what many of us do and that is wear alot of our shorts and T's twice and that will give you packing room for something alittle dressier. Save your money to spend on the trip and dont go broke buying clothes you'll most likely never wear again. By the way take at least 2 bathing suits.

I know you will look lovely both nights regardless of what you wear.

Oh thank you all for your comments - the decision has been formally made (excuse the pun) to wear the same dress for both formal nights but I will change it a bit with my jewellery or perhaps a wrap or something else. When I was looking for jewellery I saw a pearly set that looked really fun - can't quite describe the look but I wound up going with another set of jewellery but now I think I'll go back and buy the other set too and call it done! You guys are the best! Now if you could all just invent a bathingsuit that I can actually feel as good about wearing as my lovely formal gown I'd be so happy.............and most grateful :)

Summer

Summer,

I agree with the rest. If you want to wear the same dress twice then go right ahead. I personally prefer to wear different outfits on the formal nights, but then I don't have to shop for them as I already own plenty.

However, I will add that I think you need to have "Plan B" just in case, something happens to your dress......you get it dirty with some salad dressing, a glass of wine spills on it, it gets ripped on something. I'm not suggesting to go buy something else, I'm just saying to pack something that might not be your #1 choice, but to have just in case there's a reason you can't wear your new dress again.

Forewarned is forarmed!

Have a wonderful cruise.

Jane

I had 2 outfits for the formal nights last week, but loved my first one so much that I wore it again the second night. Same jewelry, same shoes, etc. It was so comfortable and so classic looking. My choice for the 2nd night was something I had worn before whereas the other outfit was new.

I have worn the same long black dress twice......once with a pretty black shaw, and the second night with a ribbon stripe silk jacket. Fooled everyone, including my traveling companions. Go, and have a wonderful time!!!!

I'm so excited there is a thread about this! I have been so torn as to what to do. This is our first cruise and I've been out shopping for formal and casual clothes. I bought one long black gown that I really like and feel comfortable in it. It was also affordable! I bought a lime green scarf and accessories to go with it. I think it looks great. So of course I want another gown for formal night number two. Well, not so easy as the first. Maybe if I was not a size 16 I would have an easier time finding something. Nothing seems to look good thats within my price range. Well, I just came back from "Filenes" and they had this evening shawl in a turquoise blue(same material as my dress). I bought it and tried it on with the black gown and I think it looks great. Its a totally different look from the black/green one. I'm so excited now and I'm not driving my husband crazy anymore.

I'm glad to hear others are doing this also. Why spend the money when it will never be worn again (unless of course I can get planning another cruise). Thanks for all your advise. -QLOTP:)

Archived