sharing tables at windjammer buffet

icyfrost

. This one floored me , you get on a ship with 3000 plus people and dont want to meet anyone , I am really at lost for words, and I am not slamming you please forgive me. But you must hate people like me , I talk to anyone and everyone . Wow I know some poeple are keen on meeting new people but this is a new one on me.But yet here you are on a cruise site with 5000 post :confused: Sorry i just had to say something and again to each his own and Happy cruising.

Actually, I don't find anything strange in that at all, and agree with the OP I'll be going on the Oasis in a couple of weeks, which happens to hold 6,000 passengers. But I didn't choose the ship to meet them; in a sense, we chose the ship DESPITE the fact that it holds so many passengers. We want to spend some quality time together as a family in a resort with virtually unlimited activities, great service and the plus of being at sea. While we aren't ANTI-social, we're certainly not going on the cruise because we are lonely and feel the need to make new friends.

Don't get me wrong; I certainly understand that for many people the highlight of cruising is meeting new people and making new friends -- just like for some people its the spa, for others its the ports, and for still others its entertainment. To each his own. The great thing we have found about cruise vacations is that you can make them into anything at all, INCLUDING an intimate family vacation, even when you're surrounded by thousands of others having the same "intimate" expereience!!

See i like the idea that if you are on a European cruise sharing a table in the WJ in mandatory not optional and it is true.

If people want breakfast alone why not order room service? I have yet to order room service for breakfast but from guessing i could probably say that the food is fresher, cooked the way you like it, and there is less chance of watching the person in front of you NOT use the tongs provided and spend the rest of the cruise wondering if they washed their hands or not!

the WJ is exactly what it says a buffet, you have to put up with the crowds, you have to put up with the idea that you have to share and punch and kick and give the evil eye to people because they just took the last pancake or the cookie you wanted.

I have been raised to treat others how you wished to be treated, not be rude to people older then myself (which by the way, many people are older then myself) and personally i have become a very open person who will talk to anyone about anything.

(I am tempted to mention that i am British but i don't think that is a good idea) :D

CK x

Actually, in my opinion, she makes a lot of sense.

Again, if any of those who disagree with me were at a buffet in their hometown, would they do the same? I seriously don't think there is a difference, and people do NOT have to give up their private space. There are plenty of other options, as mentioned above, but what amuses me is the people already sitting at the table who want to eat alone are the ones who should NOT be there.

This thread is taking on a bad tone, methinks. I will unsubscribe because we are rapidly approaching the insult stage with it.

In closing, I know of no rule, implied or otherwise, that states a person must share their meal with someone they don't know or want to eat with. I believe the rule of common sense is "first come, first serve".

And, yes, over crowded conditions are the exception, as are elderly and handicap.

Just a happy cruiser here that wants to eat alone with my honey pie!!! Happy cruising, everyone. :D:D

Could not agree more -- you got it exactly right!

To quote that great Statesman Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?" ;)

But seriously, there is no single right answer, this is something I have watched since my first cruise with some interest. To the guy who said he doesn't want anyone sitting with his family at a meal, great, I don't feel that way, but I certainly understand, that is why I always ask, and have never forced my way in. I can usually find someone who doesn't care. Many people don't mind, you can sit down, they may ignore you, but at least you have a place to sit. Some people don't make any effort to find a proper sized table, sometimes there are none to be had. Some people are too shy to even ask. On Voyager, Navigator, and Freedom I specifically remember areas that look like they are a 6 top table, but they are actually a 4 and a 2 pushed together. If it is the only thing available I sit at the 2 person one and keep my stuff close to me. I've seen people sit down at large 8 person round tables and spread there stuff around either because others are joining them, or they want it to look that way.

I still remember the last breakfast on the WJ on my first cruise, no tables to be had, we sat down with a couple who were not only doing a B2B, but the 2nd half was a transatlantic. Turned out they were from just up the road from us, and I've seen them here in town a few times since.

See i like the idea that if you are on a European cruise sharing a table in the WJ in mandatory not optional and it is true.

If people want breakfast alone why not order room service? I have yet to order room service for breakfast but from guessing i could probably say that the food is fresher, cooked the way you like it, and there is less chance of watching the person in front of you NOT use the tongs provided and spend the rest of the cruise wondering if they washed their hands or not!

the WJ is exactly what it says a buffet, you have to put up with the crowds, you have to put up with the idea that you have to share and punch and kick and give the evil eye to people because they just took the last pancake or the cookie you wanted.

I have been raised to treat others how you wished to be treated, not be rude to people older then myself (which by the way, many people are older then myself) and personally i have become a very open person who will talk to anyone about anything.

(I am tempted to mention that i am British but i don't think that is a good idea) :D

CK x

I agree with you. People go to the Windjammer to eat - not to have a fine dining experience, and not to have a long conversation or make the friends of a lifetime. It is more like a canteen than a fine restaurant.

I understand that some people "just want to be alone" and don't want to sit with others. That's fine when conditions are not crowded, but when the Windjammer is bursting at the seams, to expect to occupy a table for 4 when there are only two of you is a bit precious and inconsiderate IMHO.

If I am standing, meal in hand, and your table is the only one with empty seats, I will politely ask if I can join you. If you say no, and another table comes free, I will respect your wishes. But, if there is nowhere else to sit, I will (again politely) explain that my meal getting cold trumps your desire for solitude, and I will sit down. If you are not there, but your place is marked, I will sit down at the empty space and when you return to the table I will say something like "I hope you don't mind - this was the only empty place in the Windjammer."

Since I've come to the Windjammer primarily to eat, and not to hold a conversation, I probably won't talk to you, apart from the usual "Good morning". I will try not to invade your personal space, I'll even keep a cone of silence around me, if that is what you want ;), and I won't stay longer than the time it takes to eat my meal.

Since we are all on a ship with lots of passengers, it is sometimes necessary to share.

Again, if any of those who disagree with me were at a buffet in their hometown, would they do the same? I seriously don't think there is a difference, and people do NOT have to give up their private space. There are plenty of other options, as mentioned above, but what amuses me is the people already sitting at the table who want to eat alone are the ones who should NOT be there.

This thread is taking on a bad tone, methinks. I will unsubscribe because we are rapidly approaching the insult stage with it.

In closing, I know of no rule, implied or otherwise, that states a person must share their meal with someone they don't know or want to eat with. I believe the rule of common sense is "first come, first serve".

And, yes, over crowded conditions are the exception, as are elderly and handicap.

Just a happy cruiser here that wants to eat alone with my honey pie!!! Happy cruising, everyone. :D:D

I was thinking the same thing. In restaurants on land you don't generally share a table with strangers, so why should you be expected to on a cruise?

And another poster said if you want to have breakfast alone, order room service. Most room service breakfast consist of pastries, fruits, juice and coffee. If you want a hot breakfast you either go to one of the dining rooms or the buffet. So in this poster's thinking I should just be satisfied with a pastry and cup of coffee in my room, if I don't want to share a table at breakfast? I don't think so.

I agree with you. People go to the Windjammer to eat - not to have a fine dining experience, and not to have a long conversation or make the friends of a lifetime. It is more like a canteen than a fine restaurant.

I understand that some people "just want to be alone" and don't want to sit with others. That's fine when conditions are not crowded, but when the Windjammer is bursting at the seams, to expect to occupy a table for 4 when there are only two of you is a bit precious and inconsiderate IMHO.

If I am standing, meal in hand, and your table is the only one with empty seats, I will politely ask if I can join you. If you say no, and another table comes free, I will respect your wishes. But, if there is nowhere else to sit, I will (again politely) explain that my meal getting cold trumps your desire for solitude, and I will sit down. If you are not there, but your place is marked, I will sit down at the empty space and when you return to the table I will say something like "I hope you don't mind - this was the only empty place in the Windjammer."

Since I've come to the Windjammer primarily to eat, and not to hold a conversation, I probably won't talk to you, apart from the usual "Good morning". I will try not to invade your personal space, I'll even keep a cone of silence around me, if that is what you want ;), and I won't stay longer than the time it takes to eat my meal.

Since we are all on a ship with lots of passengers, it is sometimes necessary to share.

For the life of me I can't understand why you would want to sit next to a complete stranger who doesn't want you there. You do realize how close you will be sitting to 2 complete strangers at a 4 top table don't you? A 6 top, maybe, because there is some room for personal space, but to sit directly next to someone? It's just ridiculous to me. To say "I hope you don't mind", and when they say no, you sit anyway, is just confrontational, and not the way I want to spend my vacation.

And BTW, I don't spend thousands of dollars to eat in a "canteen". It is a restaurant. A buffet style restaurant, yes, but still a restaurant, and folks should be able to have a little privacy and personal space if they desire.

Seriously, you would barge in where you're obviously not wanted if the people occupying the table said no when you asked if you could sit there? Wow. Now in my opinion that is way beyond rude. You have other options rather than sitting where you're not wanted. Wait until the buffet is less crowded. Will you starve to death if you wait another half hour? Make another circle around the seating area, tables open up all the time. Take your plate and drink out the door to the pool area and find a table there, or take your food back to your room. I can't imagine sitting down to eat at a table if I asked the people if I could sit and they said no. Would you do that in a restaurant at home? If not, then what makes you feel it's perfectly fine to do it on a cruise? And, if you're going to sit even though they tell you no, why bother even asking?

My personal opinion is that sharing a table for a brief period of time is not a big deal

What I don't understand is the amount of bandwidth devoted to a subject that in the scheme of things is so inconsequential

I try not to sweat the small stuff,it's liberating

For the life of me I can't understand why you would want to sit next to a complete stranger who doesn't want you there. You do realize how close you will be sitting to 2 complete strangers at a 4 top table don't you? A 6 top, maybe, because there is some room for personal space, but to sit directly next to someone? It's just ridiculous to me. To say "I hope you don't mind", and when they say no, you sit anyway, is just confrontational, and not the way I want to spend my vacation.

And BTW, I don't spend thousands of dollars to eat in a "canteen". It is a restaurant. A buffet style restaurant, yes, but still a restaurant, and folks should be able to have a little privacy and personal space if they desire.

agree, rude and confrontational. one day this person may find out the hard way.:rolleyes:

I look at a cruise as a social vacation, therefore if I want to eat alone I will either go at a time that is less crowded so that I can find a two top more easily or I take my food back to the cabin or I find another quite spot on the ship to eat! Otherwise I'm fine with sharing.

All that said ....I DO NOT LIKE.....People moving my items from a table so they can have a table of their own by themselves!!! Yes this has happened. They moved our stuff to another table that had two people sitting there and took our 4 top to sit their family of four! That is RUDE!!

I had been thinking that those from the city would be more prone to sharing, but I guess everyone is different.

We've had couples decline our offer in a packed WJ to join us at a table with empty seats, as they continued their search, full plates in hand, for their own table.

Some couples just want to be alone.

Ah, I guess I should clarify something. The "couples alone" thing...ha! Of the 14 cruises I have taken, exactly TWO have been myself and DH ALONE (2002 & 2003). Other than that, our party always consists of 5, Me, DH, 2 DSs and my mom. Or more. I've sailed with up to 10 family members at a time. That's probably why nobody has ever asked to sit down with us in WJ...no room!!:D

As for being from a city, I don't know if that has anything to do with it? We just don't like eating with strangers. Maybe we don't like strangers BECAUSE we are from the city? Who knows.

I also should correct myself. I would be perfectly happy to sit with an elderly person dining alone or even a kid dining alone, as I wouldn't want either to be forced to eat by themselves if they didn't want to, or if there was no room. We just don't want some couple sitting down with us.:)

Consensus here seems to be that if the WJ is busy, which would probably be the ONLY time people would ask you to share a table, you should be willing to share or wait for a Table that fits the size of your Group!

If two of you, wait for a two top if you want to be sure you eat alone during busy times.

WJ is not the same as a normal Restaurant on land and is poor comparison especially when same person did not like comparison to saving chairs around the pool.

Seriously- I cannot believe how much debate is involved in eating at the WJ!

I myself am more worried about my job security, paying my mortgage, keeping my kids safe from online predators/bullying at school, repairing my home's damaged siding after the terrible snowstorm we had here a few weeks ago.

I have the good fortune of cruising in April. I am just so happy to be going on a vacation that isn't driving to the Dells with the kids! The farthest concern from my mind is having someone share a table for a brief moment in time. I may find it irritating, but not enough to cause a spectacle or ruin my vacation!

This reminds me of a situation on an airplane one time. It was a relatively short flight, I think about 2 hrs. There was a senior citizen couple who were not seated together, and would not let the plane take off until someone switched seats to let them sit together! Seriously- it's two hours!

I agree with you. People go to the Windjammer to eat - not to have a fine dining experience,

Some people have said, you wouldn't sit down with someone else at a restaurant, I consider the Windjammer to be more like a mall food court and the week before Christmas, sometimes you just have to share a table. (Usually with some other husband carrying 10 of the wife's packages. )

Consensus here seems to be that if the WJ is busy, which would probably be the ONLY time people would ask you to share a table, you should be willing to share or wait for a Table that fits the size of your Group!

If two of you, wait for a two top if you want to be sure you eat alone during busy times.

Yep, I agree. And never ever, ever, ever move someone's things if they get up for more french fries simply because their table will seat everyone in your group and the smaller one nearby can fit everyone in theirs. Being on vacation does not give you the right to be a *****. (can I say that?) :eek:

I look at a cruise as a social vacation, therefore if I want to eat alone I will either go at a time that is less crowded so that I can find a two top more easily ..............

My experience has been that I usually find it next to impossible to find a 2 top. The closest I have been able to find is a "snack bar" type arrangement near the doors on Freedom

Seriously, you would barge in where you're obviously not wanted if the people occupying the table said no when you asked if you could sit there? Wow. Now in my opinion that is way beyond rude. You have other options rather than sitting where you're not wanted. Wait until the buffet is less crowded. Will you starve to death if you wait another half hour? Make another circle around the seating area, tables open up all the time. Take your plate and drink out the door to the pool area and find a table there, or take your food back to your room. I can't imagine sitting down to eat at a table if I asked the people if I could sit and they said no. Would you do that in a restaurant at home? If not, then what makes you feel it's perfectly fine to do it on a cruise? And, if you're going to sit even though they tell you no, why bother even asking? __________________

To both of you - yes, I would sit down, if there was nowhere else to sit.

No, it's not the way I want to spend my vacation. I won't want to sit next to a complete stranger who doesn't want me there (and yes, I do realise how close the seating is. I'm not a newbie), but equally I don't want the meal I have already collected to get cold while someone else selfishly takes up a whole table with empty places. That complete stranger has no more right to the empty seats at a table than I have to them, even if they got there first. One person, one seat, not two, or even an entire table.

I will ask because it is polite to ask, in the expectation that the people I ask will see how crowded the Windjammer is and because it would be equally polite for the person I ask to invite me to join them - and most people do. It is rude, when conditions are crowded, to expect to monopolize a table while others have to stand around waiting. It's not as if I am asking to spend the rest of my life with them, just a few minutes out of the entire day.

And I would not ask until I had done a couple of circuits of the area, indoors and outside, and found nowhere else free, by which time my meal would already be cooling drastically. This I would explain if someone was reluctant to share their table, and I would expect them to then allow me to be seated.

Yes, my actions could be seen as confrontational and no, I wouldn't do that in a restaurant at home - but a restaurant at home would not let people in until there was room for them to be seated. The comparison is invalid.

Wait until the buffet is less crowded? Fine. But what if I had already got my meal, in the anticipation of seating becoming available? What then? Dump the meal and go away? I think not.

I'm sorry if my plan offends you, but I just find it equally "beyond rude" if people monopolise a table while others are searching for seats. The reality is that a crowded Windjammer is not the place to expect personal solitude.

My experience has been that I usually find it next to impossible to find a 2 top. The closest I have been able to find is a "snack bar" type arrangement near the doors on Freedom

Exactly, so a 4 top is the next best choice. I don't feel this gives a total strangerthe right to plop down across from me without asking.

"Seriously, you would barge in where you're obviously not wanted if the people occupying the table said no when you asked if you could sit there? Wow. Now in my opinion that is way beyond rude. You have other options rather than sitting where you're not wanted. Wait until the buffet is less crowded. Will you starve to death if you wait another half hour? Make another circle around the seating area, tables open up all the time. Take your plate and drink out the door to the pool area and find a table there, or take your food back to your room. I can't imagine sitting down to eat at a table if I asked the people if I could sit and they said no. Would you do that in a restaurant at home? If not, then what makes you feel it's perfectly fine to do it on a cruise? And, if you're going to sit even though they tell you no, why bother even asking? "

"To both of you - yes, I would sit down, if there was nowhere else to sit.

No, it's not the way I want to spend my vacation. I won't want to sit next to a complete stranger who doesn't want me there (and yes, I do realise how close the seating is. I'm not a newbie), but equally I don't want the meal I have already collected to get cold while someone else selfishly takes up a whole table with empty places. That complete stranger has no more right to the empty seats at a table than I have to them, even if they got there first. One person, one seat, not two, or even an entire table.

I will ask because it is polite to ask, in the expectation that the people I ask will see how crowded the Windjammer is and because it would be equally polite for the person I ask to invite me to join them - and most people do. It is rude, when conditions are crowded, to expect to monopolize a table while others have to stand around waiting. It's not as if I am asking to spend the rest of my life with them, just a few minutes out of the entire day.

And I would not ask until I had done a couple of circuits of the area, indoors and outside, and found nowhere else free, by which time my meal would already be cooling drastically. This I would explain if someone was reluctant to share their table, and I would expect them to then allow me to be seated.

Yes, my actions could be seen as confrontational and no, I wouldn't do that in a restaurant at home - but a restaurant at home would not let people in until there was room for them to be seated. The comparison is invalid.

Wait until the buffet is less crowded? Fine. But what if I had already got my meal, in the anticipation of seating becoming available? What then? Dump the meal and go away? I think not.

I'm sorry if my plan offends you, but I just find it equally "beyond rude" if people monopolise a table while others are searching for seats. The reality is that a crowded Windjammer is not the place to expect personal solitude."

Bravo. I agree.

Just a happy cruiser here that wants to eat alone with my honey pie!!!

I could not agree more.

Quote from celle:

Seriously, you would barge in where you're obviously not wanted if the people occupying the table said no when you asked if you could sit there? Wow. Now in my opinion that is way beyond rude. You have other options rather than sitting where you're not wanted. Wait until the buffet is less crowded. Will you starve to death if you wait another half hour? Make another circle around the seating area, tables open up all the time. Take your plate and drink out the door to the pool area and find a table there, or take your food back to your room. I can't imagine sitting down to eat at a table if I asked the people if I could sit and they said no. Would you do that in a restaurant at home? If not, then what makes you feel it's perfectly fine to do it on a cruise? And, if you're going to sit even though they tell you no, why bother even asking? __________________

I'm sorry if my plan offends you, but I just find it equally "beyond rude" if people monopolise a table while others are searching for seats. The reality is that a crowded Windjammer is not the place to expect personal solitude.

I now see why that woman reacted the way she did when you plopped yourself down at her family's table without asking. You seem to be intent on doing it your way, regardless of the other people's feelings. I don't really consider sitting at a table for 4, when there are very few tables for 2, to be "monopolizing" a table. 6 or 8, maybe, but 4, no. While I probably would not have caused the scene that that other woman did with you, I would tell you how rude I thought you were, then simply move, because I wouldn't waste my time arguing with you.

Seriously- I cannot believe how much debate is involved in eating at the WJ!

You have somewhere else you need to be? It may not be #1 on my priority list, but I'm capable of "worrying" about a large number of things :p

This reminds me of a situation on an airplane one time. It was a relatively short flight, I think about 2 hrs. There was a senior citizen couple who were not seated together, and would not let the plane take off until someone switched seats to let them sit together! Seriously- it's two hours!

If that really happened, it would have had to occur pre - 9/11/01. Since then you can be shot for for asking for a 2nd bag of peanuts, anytime you disagree with anyone remotely associated with an airline you are a potential terrorist.

You know I just took the dog for a walk , we just moved into a newer home thats in a sub division , I am a country person born and bred and while walking i stopped and talked to this guy , i have no idea who he is , but then I have never met a STRANGER . Thats just me . I guess its alot of how you grew up and where you live. I talk to everyone , drives my wife nuts sometimes. But you know I dont understand it , but I will respect it. If people dont want to talk to me or dine with me so be it.

Seriously, you would barge in where you're obviously not wanted if the people occupying the table said no when you asked if you could sit there? Wow. Now in my opinion that is way beyond rude. You have other options rather than sitting where you're not wanted. Wait until the buffet is less crowded. Will you starve to death if you wait another half hour? Make another circle around the seating area, tables open up all the time. Take your plate and drink out the door to the pool area and find a table there, or take your food back to your room. I can't imagine sitting down to eat at a table if I asked the people if I could sit and they said no. Would you do that in a restaurant at home? If not, then what makes you feel it's perfectly fine to do it on a cruise? And, if you're going to sit even though they tell you no, why bother even asking?

This just makes me laugh. I promise you, you wouldn't sit down at my table if I didn't want you there, trust me!;)

Also, I've always found it odd that certain people ask questions "to be polite" but plan on doing whatever they want to do anyway, no matter what the response to their question might be. The rule of question asking is that the response you get might be "NO" (and not the response you wanted to hear), but you kinda have to go with it, since you did ask a question, and 'No" is a perfectly respectable response to any question.;)

As I said, you should probably be careful who you try this behavior with, some people won't tolerate it at all.:eek:

Good luck to you.

Archived