Explorer Grand Suite

uncleah

Thanks so much! We have 1260 & 1264 for our March 11 cruise. Any possibility you have photos of the balcony? Is that a flat screen I see? and..did the balconys open to connect?

Sorry, I didn't take any pictures of the balcony. You will find a table with 2 chairs that is fine for breakfast and lunch. There also is one lounge chair. You would have to get rid of the table and chairs to get another lounge chair. We used it for room service breakfast most port days and for a few lunches.

The tv is a flat screen. The balconies do not open to connect. If 1264 is the next cabin going aft from 1260 then the cabins connect.

If Akil is still the cabin attendant you should find him to be great. He got us pretty much anything we asked for. You can tell him Virginia and Ed say hello.

We liked being towards the front of the ship. We spent a lot of time in the solarium and it was a quick walk from the cabin and just up one set of stairs. We could hear noise from the deck above only on rare occassions and never at night. It's a little farther from the dining rooms, and that was probably a good thing.

The mirrors to the left of the entrance door are closets. The "island" in front of them has the mini-refrigerator and a bunch of drawers. There is sort of a dressing table to the left of the bed and more drawers and additional storage space. We found that we had plenty of room for everything.

The suite perks were also very nice. If you are going to Labadee, you should have a great time on Barefoot Beach.

Hope you have a great time.

Thank you so much Virginia & Ed - I will absolutely say Hello for you! Thanks for all the information.

We are in connecting GS with daughter, son in law and grand kids!

How was the concierge lounge? Do you remember who the concierge was?

We are certainly looking forward to this trip - can you tell?

Excited about Barefoot Beach - looking to rent a cabana - did you by chance get an e mail from the concierge prior to the cruise or do you think I should go ahead and contact him maybe two weeks before?

The concierge lounge is not very big and does not have windows. It tends to fill up quickly. They did adjust the hours (for coctails) since the dining times changed to 1/2 hour earlier than we expected. I would not go there for the food as you won't find much. They did deliver goodies to the cabin I think every other day.

Concierge was Carlos Ortiz. He had just gotten back from vacation. We thought he was very good.

We emailed him 2 weeks before the cruise and got Francis, the fill in while Carlos was on vacation, and got an email back that he had booked the cabana for us. When we got on the ship, we checked with Carlos and everything was set. We also got the usual email from Carlos about a week before the cruise. Certainly nothing wrong with trying to contact him a little early.

Having the suite is great. It's really nice not having to get tickets for the ice show. You also won't have to sign towels out. Just wave the gold card and you are all set. It's a plus turning them back in. On one day when we got a little rain, there was a mad rush and quite a line to return towels. I just walked up and dropped them in the bin. That was kind of nice. Sitting in Portofino instead of the Windjammer when it gets busy is also very nice.

You should be invited to a private cocktail party with the Captain. It was too early in the day for us for drinks but I'd suggest you go. Capt. Olaf has a great sense of humor. Remember to ask him about his totem pole.

Barefoot Beach was probably our favorite stop as we had not been there before but had been to the other islands. It is kind of like a little gated community. Once you get inside what I'd call the main entrance at Labadee, you will eventually see Carlos and he will set you up in a tram to take you to the beach. It's really very nice there. There are lots of chairs available but we went for the cabana and throughly enjoyed it.

You should have water shoes as there are rocks in the shallow water until you get further in. You get a great view of the ship. Someone will be assigned to your cabana and can get you drinks or whatever you need. We got some float mats and they have snorkeling gear. You'll also get a cooler with ice and some bottles of water. If you don't drink them all you can take them back to the ship. They will want to see them when you go through security but you can take them back.

There is a tram that goes to the main beach and other attractions. We spent the day with the arduous task of holding down the lounge chairs to the deck. Hard work but someone had to do it! When we went to leave, we were going to cross the street and get the regular tram, but they called for a golf cart to take us back. They do make you feel special there.

FYI - there is very little noise between the connecting cabins so you can have wild parties and not bother the kids.

Have fun.

While we have cruised many times, this is our first suite soooo thank you so much for all the pointers! I am so excited about this cruise I feel like its my first!;):)

The hard part will be taking future cruises in anything less.

After you get through security in Bayonne, they will see that you have a suite and direct you to a separate checkin area. From there you will go directly to the bus. You don't have to get a number and stay in the waiting room.

Room service will get you anything that is on the main dining room menu BUT you have to remember that they only do this when the dining room is open. They have a few more things available then the standard room service menu during other hours but not everything.

We used room service for breakfast a lot of days. Since the card that you hang on the door doesn't list everything that you have available, you can just write in what you want (like pancakes or french toast) and they will get it for you. We found that we always got it when we wanted it when we used the card. We always had to wait a bit if we ordered on the phone in the morning.

I mentioned not having to sign out towels. That is handy. We used the solarium a lot but there is reserved seating by the main pool. This is a great area to use to see some of the events they have there.

They distribute tickets for the ice shows but you don't need them. We went there about 15 minutes before the shows and there was a really long line of people with tickets waiting to get it. We just walked past the crowd up to Carlos and were among the first to get in. There is a reserved section but you can sit where ever you want and the first row will be available if you want it.

For the main shows, there is a reserved row. We didn't use it much, but if it's busy and you get there a little late you know you'll still get a good seat.

The Windjammer can get pretty busy. Portofino is to its left side. You can use it for breakfast and lunch. Show your card and go in and pick a table. On the right side past the table with coffee and juices you will find a door that goes into the WJ. You can get what you want and then bring it back through the same door. It is a lot more peaceful and you can always get a seat. The dinner there is actually quite good. We had comps from out TA and went there one night.

On the "sob" last morning, they have an area for you. For us it was downstairs in the Chamber. They have coffee, juice and pastries. You will be among the first to get off the boat. Your luggage will be closest to the exit. We had a little delay, but had our luggage and were in the terminal waiting to be picked up by a little after 9am.

We didn't have a lot of things for Carlos to do for us, but the couple we did were taken care of prompty.

Wish we were going again, but that will have to wait until next year.

I have alerady told my husband going in a suite could be a real "problem" for the future - LOL - we normally cruise in a balcony but this just sounds great.

I was going to wait to e mail Carlos about the cabanas about 2 weeks prior to the cruise - however I have read on here where others on our sailing have already done so and alot of the Cabanas are already gone.

If you have his e mail address, would you be so kind as to send it to me?

Again, thanks so much for all the tips, sounds wonderful.

I have alerady told my husband going in a suite could be a real "problem" for the future - LOL - we normally cruise in a balcony but this just sounds great.

I was going to wait to e mail Carlos about the cabanas about 2 weeks prior to the cruise - however I have read on here where others on our sailing have already done so and alot of the Cabanas are already gone.

If you have his e mail address, would you be so kind as to send it to me?

Again, thanks so much for all the tips, sounds wonderful.

The e-mail for the explorer is EX_Concierge@rccl.com (please note underscore between Ex and concierge. I guess it's better to e-mail earlier if you have a specific cabana you want, we e-mailed the concierge 5 days before and fortunately there were cabanas left even though we didn't get our first choice

Uncleah:

Thanks for all the helpful information, I had e-mailed the concierge as we never received an e-mail from him and we are leaving this friday the 18th. Since we e-mailed so late our preferred cabana location were gone (we were interested in B1 or B2) so I requested S9 because it seem closer to water (Carlos confirmed S9 for us). I see that that is the same cabana you had, were you able to see the water from the cabana? we are traveling with kids so we wanted to be able to see the kids, also are the cabanas too close to one another? s9 seemed like it had a little more space around it but a chart can be deceiving. Thanks again for all your helpful information and sharing your experience.

ex_concierge@rccl.com

We had done balconies and an occasional suite before but I think we are stuck with the suites now, it is just too nice. Jan was only our 2nd RC. We had done mostly Princess and a few others before. Bayonne was just too convenient not to give it a try. We had a few people at our table kind of bragging about Crown & Anchor status. We casually mentioned that with a gold card we really didn't care and that ended that quickly. We really never made much of a show of it but that was a situation where it was very nice to have.

Good luck with the cabana.

The e-mail for the explorer is EX_Concierge@rccl.com (please note underscore between Ex and concierge. I guess it's better to e-mail earlier if you have a specific cabana you want, we e-mailed the concierge 5 days before and fortunately there were cabanas left even though we didn't get our first choice

Uncleah:

Thanks for all the helpful information, I had e-mailed the concierge as we never received an e-mail from him and we are leaving this friday the 18th. Since we e-mailed so late our preferred cabana location were gone (we were interested in B1 or B2) so I requested S9 because it seem closer to water (Carlos confirmed S9 for us). I see that that is the same cabana you had, were you able to see the water from the cabana? we are traveling with kids so we wanted to be able to see the kids, also are the cabanas too close to one another? s9 seemed like it had a little more space around it but a chart can be deceiving. Thanks again for all your helpful information and sharing your experience.

You should have no problems. S9 is over to the left where the stairs go up to the hilltop cabanas. We like it because it's kind of by itself and has good shade. If you search for "Labadee Cabanas" I have a post with a picture that shows what you will see looking out from the cabana. I'd attach it but I don't have access from where I am now. It's close to the beach and you can see easily see the water. The beach is fine but there are small rocks rolling around and you will probably want water shoes.

Have a great trip. Wish we were going again.

You should have no problems. S9 is over to the left where the stairs go up to the hilltop cabanas. We like it because it's kind of by itself and has good shade. If you search for "Labadee Cabanas" I have a post with a picture that shows what you will see looking out from the cabana. I'd attach it but I don't have access from where I am now. It's close to the beach and you can see easily see the water. The beach is fine but there are small rocks rolling around and you will probably want water shoes.

Have a great trip. Wish we were going again.

Found your pics, thanks again!

ex_concierge@rccl.com

We had done balconies and an occasional suite before but I think we are stuck with the suites now, it is just too nice. Jan was only our 2nd RC. We had done mostly Princess and a few others before. Bayonne was just too convenient not to give it a try. We had a few people at our table kind of bragging about Crown & Anchor status. We casually mentioned that with a gold card we really didn't care and that ended that quickly. We really never made much of a show of it but that was a situation where it was very nice to have.

Good luck with the cabana.

E mail already sent! LOL - Thanks

And as far as the C & A bragging - all I can say is WOW - just wow. We have a few under out belt with Royal but would never think to disclose our status - who cares? And your right - with the GS - you could be a first timer and get better benefits and treatment. Never did Princess but we have done Celebrity, NCL and Carnival. Have a great time-everytime!

We don't have a specific location - but we do need 2 (relatives are in another GS) and would love them to be next to each other. Beach or Sand doesn't matter to us. We do not want over the water or Hilltop due to small children - so maybe we do have a preference - LOL. Don't care really where the Sand or Beach ones are located. :)

Uncleah, you have been so helpful - may I impose 1 more question.

Can you tell me what the difference is between a standard cabana and any others? I have been in touch with Carlos - I would like a cabana that has steps with an enclosed railing around the deck. I do not want a cabana that the loungers sit directly on the sand. He is offering an over the water and a beach but I am afraid they may not be next to each other. Do any of the "S" Cabanas has enclosed decks or are they all just sitting on the sand. Thanks again, you have been the best!

The "S" cabanas don't have a rail but the lounge chairs are on an outside "porch" that sits maybe 6 inches above the sand. The "W" or over waters have stairs to get up to them and a railing. I'm not sure about the "B". The "porch" is the same elevation as the inside of the cabana where they have the sofas. You won't be on the sand.

The main difference is location. Obviously the "W" is right over the water. The "B" very close. The "H" are a number of steps up the hill. The "S" are scattered around. Ours,S9, was actually quite close. There is a path and an area with outside showers. We were on the beach side of the path. A lot of the other "S"s were on the shore side. Those were closer to the barbecue area. The whole area isn't that big so nothing is really far from everything. We didn't look at the hilltop ones. They were up a number of stairs from where we were. We could see one of them from ours and that one might have had a rail but I'm not sure.

The "S" cabanas don't have a rail but the lounge chairs are on an outside "porch" that sits maybe 6 inches above the sand. The "W" or over waters have stairs to get up to them and a railing. I'm not sure about the "B". The "porch" is the same elevation as the inside of the cabana where they have the sofas. You won't be on the sand.

The main difference is location. Obviously the "W" is right over the water. The "B" very close. The "H" are a number of steps up the hill. The "S" are scattered around. Ours,S9, was actually quite close. There is a path and an area with outside showers. We were on the beach side of the path. A lot of the other "S"s were on the shore side. Those were closer to the barbecue area. The whole area isn't that big so nothing is really far from everything. We didn't look at the hilltop ones. They were up a number of stairs from where we were. We could see one of them from ours and that one might have had a rail but I'm not sure.

Perfect! Once again I thank you - looks like I do not want an S or a H - hoping there will be W and B available to us.

How funny, some of us will be in 1260 and 1264 on a cruise to Bermuda in April. Hello to former residents!

This will be our first time in suites and we're very excited about the concierge/amenities...I will be sure to share this information with our friends. Thank you, all. :)

How funny, some of us will be in 1260 and 1264 on a cruise to Bermuda in April. Hello to former residents!

This will be our first time in suites and we're very excited about the concierge/amenities...I will be sure to share this information with our friends. Thank you, all. :)

You will love it. Only problem is you won't want anything else after that. DW already told me not to bother booking anything else. Was not a hard sell since I agree with her.

Have a great trip.

Take good care of 1260. We're going to want it again.

Have a great time. You will really like it.

• 3 years later...